When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

The days of going for a casual pint are over. 

Just seen a post from my local outlining the new procedures. Going for a drink post 4th of July will be like trying to book a doctors appointment. 

C6F3D6EA-B26B-465F-B20C-80631DAD7C7E.thumb.jpeg.36313b1fb870092259f79e9d876b57ca.jpeg

meanwhile in Wetherspoons ...Chaos ....

7 hours ago, DeanoL said:

But it's not their job to tell people they shouldn't go to the pub. 

I know this doesn't really relate to your wider point, but that is weirdly exactly what they did at the start of this. Ask everyone not to go to the pub without closing them. Genius stuff.

I'm sceptical that all these restrictions and measures are actually going to be upheld after a week. No one will be checking so where's the motivation to keep it up? Punters want life to go back to normal and pubs want to make money. Will be interested to hear tales from those who head out to them.

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I'm sceptical that all these restrictions and measures are actually going to be upheld after a week. No one will be checking so where's the motivation to keep it up? Punters want life to go back to normal and pubs want to make money.

My local is one of the bigger pub chains in the country. They have the resources and need to create an app and provide extra staff. They will definitely be one of the more organised pubs

I’m not sure how the smaller independent pubs are going to manage. Profit margins are already tight for those. Those that have survived lockdown will be struggling for quite a while yet if they can’t operate at sufficient capacity to make it worthwhile. 

5 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I know this doesn't really relate to your wider point, but that is weirdly exactly what they did at the start of this. Ask everyone not to go to the pub without closing them. Genius stuff.

I'm sceptical that all these restrictions and measures are actually going to be upheld after a week. No one will be checking so where's the motivation to keep it up? Punters want life to go back to normal and pubs want to make money. Will be interested to hear tales from those who head out to them.

Exactly the same as the super markets ... covid secure ... what utter bollocks that is ... just another name for ... we have no responsibility now !! 

33 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

The days of going for a casual pint are over. 

Just seen a post from my local outlining the new procedures. Going for a drink post 4th of July will be like trying to book a doctors appointment. 

C6F3D6EA-B26B-465F-B20C-80631DAD7C7E.thumb.jpeg.36313b1fb870092259f79e9d876b57ca.jpeg

Which pub is that out of curiosity? Is it a chain?

21 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I would say there is the risk to their reputation to consider. I’m not sure any establishment, pub or otherwise,  want an outbreak traced back to them. I think what any business needs in this environment is for the customers to feel safe visiting them, if they ignore the rules and cause a super spreader event that will be far worse for them in the long run.

That said if we see a cases consistently decline over the coming weeks then naturally we’ll see a decline in these standards.

Yet there were queues outside of SportsDirect after they abused furlough rules and asked staff to work. 

Bad reputation really doesn't stick around for long.

Why the SportsDirect thing pisses me off so much is people think they were just being cheeky and getting a bit of extra government money. There's no such thing. It's OUR money that the government allocate.

Weatherspoons will be at capacity for months after treating their staff like disposable cutlery.

Any pub that is 'proven' to be the source of an outbreak could soon shift the blame, there will be enough apathetic people to fill the seats as soon as they can reopen.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tommy101 said:

Yet there were queues outside of SportsDirect after they abused furlough rules and asked staff to work. 

Bad reputation really doesn't stick around for long.

Why the SportsDirect thing pisses me off so much is people think they were just being cheeky and getting a bit of extra government money. There's no such thing. It's OUR money that the government allocate.

Weatherspoons will be at capacity for months after treating their staff like disposable cutlery.

Any pub that is 'proven' to be the source of an outbreak could soon shift the blame, there will be enough apathetic people to fill the seats as soon as they can reopen.

and unfortunately in times of money worries people will go for the cheaper options ... :( 

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

and unfortunately in times of money worries people will go for the cheaper options ... :( 

And ironically Wetherspoons will be one of the chains who will have the most experience with app service. The only reason I go there is because I can get a quiet pint without having to talk to anyone at all. At least more chains will be using app service in the future so it’s good for us introverted drinkers. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

I don’t think they’ll even put the country into full lockdown again, they’ll maybe go locally but it would cost the economy too much to do it again. They went kicking and screaming into the first one back in March as it was. 

What do you think will happen if the NHS gets overwhelmed? And I don't mean "it's a bit busy" I mean "sorry, you're going to die of COVID 19 because we can't treat you".

I don't think that's likely - everything is suggesting the disease is a lot less easily transmitted than we thought, and we do now have the Nightingale hospitals that can be spun up to increase capacity. But as little as I care for our current government, I don't see them letting people die in the streets instead of locking down again, if it came to that.

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Haha, good point! I actually think these measures will fall apart in the first few days, but then after a week or so as the novelty wears off people will start to behave again. Plenty of people won't of course. But I think anyone who has seen someone suffer with it will have a very strong motivation to keep it up, that being not getting it.

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

My local is one of the bigger pub chains in the country. They have the resources and need to create an app and provide extra staff. They will definitely be one of the more organised pubs

I’m not sure how the smaller independent pubs are going to manage. Profit margins are already tight for those. Those that have survived lockdown will be struggling for quite a while yet if they can’t operate at sufficient capacity to make it worthwhile. 

I'm pretty sure the Apple Tree Inn, on the West Pennard side of the site, had closed before the lockdown. 

Next along, The Red Lion (in West Pennard itself) is on the market:  https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-71080566.html

In Glastonbury itself, the George was already on the market before the lockdown : https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-67641504.html

And the  Hawthorns (a lively live music venue) has clearly had enough, coming on the market just recently:  https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-80270479.html

Another iconic pub nearby, The Sheppy, has also gone on the market:  https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-93599294.html

That's three pubs there that some festival goers (Red Lion, George, Hawthorns) might know, two of which have owners who must have had enough.  It's not great times in the independent pub sector.  There are a number of other pubs within a few miles of the site that have been on the market for months before the lockdown.

36 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

What do you think will happen if the NHS gets overwhelmed? And I don't mean "it's a bit busy" I mean "sorry, you're going to die of COVID 19 because we can't treat you".

I don't think that's likely - everything is suggesting the disease is a lot less easily transmitted than we thought, and we do now have the Nightingale hospitals that can be spun up to increase capacity. But as little as I care for our current government, I don't see them letting people die in the streets instead of locking down again, if it came to that.

They’ll just go locally if at all, the chances of another nationwide lock down are very slim in my view. They’ll ramp up the Nightingales but that’s about it. 

9 minutes ago, EasyUserName said:

I'm pretty sure the Apple Tree Inn, on the West Pennard side of the site, had closed before the lockdown. 

Next along, The Red Lion (in West Pennard itself) is on the market:  https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-71080566.html

In Glastonbury itself, the George was already on the market before the lockdown : https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-67641504.html

And the  Hawthorns (a lively live music venue) has clearly had enough, coming on the market just recently:  https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-80270479.html

Another iconic pub nearby, The Sheppy, has also gone on the market:  https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-93599294.html

That's three pubs there that some festival goers (Red Lion, George, Hawthorns) might know, two of which have owners who must have had enough.  It's not great times in the independent pub sector.  There are a number of other pubs within a few miles of the site that have been on the market for months before the lockdown.

I'd love the Red Lion!

9 hours ago, DeanoL said:

But there's a definite argument that anything beyond that isn't really the government's job. They've ensured you can get care if you need it. They've kept essential services and utilities going. But it's not their job to protect people from themselves. 

I know the small government thing is a hallmark of capitalism, but so is selfishness and stupidity of the people. Everyone spending "lockdown" either ignoring it and looking for loopholes in what they were "allowed" to do were putting everyone else at risk and led to the numbers not being low enough when we reopened. 

So by giving "guidelines" and not mandating masks (because, in my opinion, this country could never be convinced to go full mask wearing because they protect others, not the wearer) they're pretty much gambling on the selfish people's natures changing. 

I also think that dropping shielding and the payment help for them 3 weeks after the pubs open, while removing data that people can use to assess their risk which came in the briefing, surely we're taking "no government intervention" to a dangerous level? Never mind the removal of testing numbers JUST as a campaign to reopen quickly starts. 

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yep, people quickly forget bad reputations in the name of convenience and cheapness (NB does not equal value)

Pubs that have to temporarily close for an outbreak will be at capacity on the day they reopen. 

The big difference between now and the start of this is also testing. When the virus was in the ascendancy we didn’t have a clue what was going on where. We just knew people were turning up to hospitals in increasing numbers and they were the only people being tested. Now we’re routinely testing the population as a whole, and we know what the virus is doing and where it’s spreading, or not as the case may be. This will help immensely dealing with a surge second time around.