When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

So it looks like we’ve got the new normal announced. I really hope this is it and we don’t have another lockdown / second wave. I think this whole lockdown has been handled poorly, and I think a second one would be handled worse.

I honestly just want things to start stabilising now. Too many people in some hard situations :(

57 minutes ago, st dan said:

They know that nobody will adhere to the social distancing when two families meet indoors - they’ve purely added that part to protect themselves and say “well we did warn you!” if things flair up again. 

I don't think that's fair. It's also good advice and will keep people safe. They can't police inside people's homes, so there is a point here where we're going to have to take some individual responsibility for this stuff.

2 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

there is a point here where we're going to have to take some individual responsibility for this stuff.

There are a lot of people struggling with this bit.

45 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

What do you do, pub? How will you handle the social distancing?

Guesthouse. We're pretty well set up for distancing as it is so we shouldn't have to make any drastic changes. 

40 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Fantastic news ... are you going to be ready to go on the 4th ? 

We're fully booked that weekend. It would have meant handing back a lot of money if we couldn't open. Guests have already been in touch asking what time they can check in, so they're keen as we are to get going!

So Johnson is doing the briefing today to go into some of this a bit more?

Tentatively all seems good, will make visiting family easier from July, won't be going to a pub soon but might look at getting my hair cut. Wondering if any update on avoiding public transport? I suppose the advice is the same, avoid and wear a mask if you do?

3 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Guesthouse. We're pretty well set up for distancing as it is so we shouldn't have to make any drastic changes. 

We're fully booked that weekend. It would have meant handing back a lot of money if we couldn't open. Guests have already been in touch asking what time they can check in, so they're keen as we are to get going!

Think it's going to be a pretty busy couple of months. I know from the guy who's been caretaker managing our place that the bookings have been coming in nicely for July and August.

3 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Think it's going to be a pretty busy couple of months. I know from the guy who's been caretaker managing our place that the bookings have been coming in nicely for July and August.

Yeah we've had some bookings this week for August. I expect the restrictions on international travel will help us, we're not reliant on the Chinese like many are. 

Today will be the last press conference, they will only be held to make big announcements from now on 

Also I'm slightly confused as to why cinemas can reopen, yet theatres and music venues can't, the industry could be dying before their very eyes and nothings being done to help 

10 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

So Johnson is doing the briefing today to go into some of this a bit more?

Tentatively all seems good, will make visiting family easier from July, won't be going to a pub soon but might look at getting my hair cut. Wondering if any update on avoiding public transport? I suppose the advice is the same, avoid and wear a mask if you do?

I watched about an hour of it, only mention of public transport was to carry on wearing a mask...

17 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I don't think that's fair. It's also good advice and will keep people safe. They can't police inside people's homes, so there is a point here where we're going to have to take some individual responsibility for this stuff.

Oh I’m not saying it isn’t good advice, I’m just saying they are fully aware that the vast majority are going to ignore it. But I’m glad they’ve made it acceptable for people to meet and stay over now, it was proving particularly difficult having parents that live 2 hours away to keep meeting in gardens before heading back the same day.  

9 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Yeah we've had some bookings this week for August. I expect the restrictions on international travel will help us, we're not reliant on the Chinese like many are. 

We're not reliant on Chinese tourists, but they do firm a reasonable percentage of our customers. (Largely British based students, but same effect though) Will easily be replaced by enough Brits is have thought. And we aren't opening all our sites up right away . 

Our main problem will be lack of school trips in September and October

7 minutes ago, st dan said:

Oh I’m not saying it isn’t good advice, I’m just saying they are fully aware that the vast majority are going to ignore it. 

Not really much they can do other than give the advice.  People are responsible for their own actions and some will inevitably choose to ignore the advice but that can't really be avoided.

16 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Today will be the last press conference, they will only be held to make big announcements from now on 

Also I'm slightly confused as to why cinemas can reopen, yet theatres and music venues can't, the industry could be dying before their very eyes and nothings being done to help 

Guessing there are a few things at play there - I think they're still going to want some sort of distancing - so leaving an empty seat between groups. Cinema business model makes this more feasible as there are so many screenings in a given day. Plus theatre foyers get much busier (as people can't be let in to the auditorium until it is ready) - same with music venues. And standing venues will be a lot worse.

I'd certainly feel safer at a cinema.

13 minutes ago, st dan said:

Oh I’m not saying it isn’t good advice, I’m just saying they are fully aware that the vast majority are going to ignore it. But I’m glad they’ve made it acceptable for people to meet and stay over now, it was proving particularly difficult having parents that live 2 hours away to keep meeting in gardens before heading back the same day.  

I don't think the vast majority will ignore it. A lot will, but I think plenty more people will be even more cautious than the guidance currently suggests too. It just gives people a ballpark to aim for. I don't think its their just to say "told you so" - I think it's there in the hope that at least some people follow it. The other "big" news here is that none of this is a rule anymore. It's no longer backed up by legislation, the guidelines are literally just that: guidelines.

I think what we'll see over the next few weeks is a real split between people who have been effected by the virus somewhat directly (so had loved ones severely ill or worse) against those that it's only been an abstract notion for. I don't know anyone in the former camp who wants to go back to the pub on July 7. 

9 minutes ago, zahidf said:

More opening up mid july

I will be delaying my gym return it’s hard enough getting space without needing to book it ... my pool might just get 4 people in at a time and there will be many more oversubscribed for spaces ... not worth the fee if I can’t get in 3 x per week at my chosen time ... can’t see that being possible 

Can someone actually elaborate to me what these additional mitigation’s businesses will have to comply with actually are? Seems like we are just dropping the distance from 2m to 1m without putting any proper measures in place.

I assumed face coverings would be mandatory in all public settings, but they still seem to be optional, in which case no one is going to wear them.

Bit nervous about the next step forwards.

13 minutes ago, zahidf said:

More opening up mid july

I know they are important to people but honestly, how is it going to be even remotely possible to make it "covid safe". Answer is of course it isn't, but the risk is that you're almost guaranteed that if one person goes into a gym with the virus they'll spread it to everyone there

On the various announcements today it does feel like the government is washing its hands of this (pun intended). "You've got your pubs back now stop bothering us"