When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

28 minutes ago, rascalpete said:

Did anyone get the impression from the way things were being phrased etc that they are wrapping this up? It seemed very much like the beginning of the end of lockdown to me, maybe just me though 

I agree there's some sense of an ending about it all, with things associated with the pandemic finishing like the clap for carers, shops reopening, schools going back and sport starting up again there is a weird sense of normality about, let's just hope things stay low before we jump to any conclusions about when things will be back to normal 

42 minutes ago, rascalpete said:

Did anyone get the impression from the way things were being phrased etc that they are wrapping this up? It seemed very much like the beginning of the end of lockdown to me, maybe just me though 

To be fair true lockdown, the point we could only leave our house for essentials and to get food ended some time ago. Things are still closed but as individuals we’re not really lockdown on any way. 

3 hours ago, Ozanne said:

The comments by Jenny Harries about you’d have to meet 1,700 to come across the virus gives me some comfort. 

Unfortunately it doesn't quite work like that, basically every person you meet has a 1-1700 chance of having Covid. This could be the 1st person or never, but it's 1-1700 every time not you have to meet 1700 before you meet someone with covid.

It's good that there is more of an outside chance but what she said was misleading :(

1 minute ago, shoptildrop said:

Unfortunately it doesn't quite work like that, basically every person you meet has a 1-1700 chance of having Covid. This could be the 1st person or never, but it's 1-1700 every time not you have to meet 1700 before you meet someone with covid.

It's good that there is more of an outside chance but what she said was misleading :(

Doesn't it mean pretty much the same thing? If someone has a 1/1700 chance then in a group of 1700 wouldn't only 1 have it, statistically?

3 hours ago, rascalpete said:

Yep it feels that way too and if they don't put more emphasis on risks and keeping distance/hygiene/masks then folk are just going to be too complacent...

I've noticed a shift in the last week when i went to the supermarket, less masks and people not social distancing in the store! I dread to think what it will be like when pubs open 

1 minute ago, Cream Soda said:

Doesn't it mean pretty much the same thing? If someone has a 1/1700 chance then in a group of 1700 wouldn't only 1 have it, statistically?

No not really as it sort of comes across that you could met 1700 people before you could come in contact and to me it takes out that it could be the 1st person or 10th for example as the risk. As people will be like oh I only saw 10 people so I should be okay, you need to be careful with phrasing like this IMO as people will become complacent 

26 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

No not really as it sort of comes across that you could met 1700 people before you could come in contact and to me it takes out that it could be the 1st person or 10th for example as the risk. As people will be like oh I only saw 10 people so I should be okay, you need to be careful with phrasing like this IMO as people will become complacent 

You're right , the first person you meet could have it but then the next 1699 wouldn't (On average), so it doesn't change the overall risk. Not sure exactly how it was worded though so not sure how clear/unclear that was.

Edited by Cream Soda

49 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

Oh yeah you are right, I think I knew that deep down but it was still comforting in a way.

33 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

This is why I think I’ve had it ... blood sugars have been a bloody nightmare in lockdown !! Massive increase in insulin usage 

My aunt who my family are convened has had it is having an antibody test, she had all the symptoms and was in a bad state for around a month from mid February so I'm going to be interested to see how it turns out, I wouldn't be surprised if there are lots of people like you and her who have had it before they expanded testing criteria 

Just now, Chapple12345 said:

My aunt who my family are convened has had it is having an antibody test, she had all the symptoms and was in a bad state for around a month from mid February so I'm going to be interested to see how it turns out, I wouldn't be surprised if there are lots of people like you and her who have had it before they expanded testing criteria 

they wouldn't give me one at gp surgery ... im seeing my consultant online in a few days and im going to be a bit more demanding ... ive been suffering chest pains for nearly 3 months that I haven't a clue what it is ... and the doc had no idea and gave me standard antibiotics 

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Oh yeah you are right, I think I knew that deep down but it was still comforting in a way.

If I said to you I had 1700 cards and only 1 is red, give me £100 and if the first one you pick is the red one I'll double it, if not I keep the money, would you do it? Pretty slim chances right?  It's possible the first card you picked would be the red one, it could be in the first 10 or even the first 20 but you probably still wouldn't bet on it because the chances are low.  We shouldn't get complacent but I do think we can take some reassurance from this too. 

Edited by Cream Soda
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, rascalpete said:

The reduction from 2m to 1m, if it happens, will make things feel very different I think. Cases are surging in different parts of the world though...so it's not over yet.

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

they wouldn't give me one at gp surgery ... im seeing my consultant online in a few days and im going to be a bit more demanding ... ive been suffering chest pains for nearly 3 months that I haven't a clue what it is ... and the doc had no idea and gave me standard antibiotics 

You’re not the only one with the chest pains. It’s the lower part of my chest that’s been painful mainly while breathing.

Just before I was ill with what I suspect to have been covid I had undergone a series of tests including chest x-rays, full body ct scans and ultrasounds so there was definitely nothing wrong with my body before then. 

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

You’re not the only one with the chest pains. It’s the lower part of my chest that’s been painful mainly while breathing.

Just before I was ill with what I suspect to have been covid I had undergone a series of tests including chest x-rays, full body ct scans and ultrasounds so there was definitely nothing wrong with my body before then. 

All the best ...are you getting any traction ? more tests etc ? 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

All the best ...are you getting any traction ? more tests etc ? 

Yeah having regular MRI’s, had one last week that I’ll be getting the results for soon. No idea when I’ll be going for surgery though. 

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

Yeah having regular MRI’s, had one last week that I’ll be getting the results for soon. No idea when I’ll be going for surgery though. 

that should pick up chest issues shouldn't it ? theres a name for the damage covid causes ... and ive forgotten it ..?

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

that should pick up chest issues shouldn't it ? theres a name for the damage covid causes ... and ive forgotten it ..?

They’ve only been looking at my head with them. I’m definitely going to chat to my GP the next time I need to get a new prescription. 

49 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

The reduction from 2m to 1m, if it happens, will make things feel very different I think. Cases are surging in different parts of the world though...so it's not over yet.

Do you really think it will? I don't go anywhere other than the park or Tesco at the moment but no one is observing any kind of distance in either as far as I can tell. Been that way for ages. I really think it will only make a difference in pubs. 

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

Do you really think it will? I don't go anywhere other than the park or Tesco at the moment but no one is observing any kind of distance in either as far as I can tell. Been that way for ages. I really think it will only make a difference in pubs. 

It might make a difference in workplaces where 1m distancing is being enforced. May lead to more employers who don't trust staff to WFH to come into the office and spread their germs around.

59 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

If I said to you I had 1700 cards and only 1 is red, give me £100 and if the first one you pick is the red one I'll double it, if not I keep the money, would you do it? Pretty slim chances right?  It's possible the first card you picked would be the red one, it could be in the first 10 or even the first 20 but you probably still wouldn't bet on it because the chances are low.  We shouldn't get complacent but I do think we can take some reassurance from this too. 

But if you lose, we play again, and this time if you pick the red one, you die. 

Still want to play? Or not worth the risk for £100?

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It might make a difference in workplaces where 1m distancing is being enforced. May lead to more employers who don't trust staff to WFH to come into the office and spread their germs around.

True, I'd forgot about workplaces beyond pubs and retail. Might make some offices open earlier.