When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

We lost a really good friend to Covid this week, she was elderly and only been in a care home for a few months, in Sale, Manchester. At least 10 other recent deaths there.

She isn’t on the figures as the doctor said she didn’t have the virus at the time of death. Seems wrong somehow.

19 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

We lost a really good friend to Covid this week, she was elderly and only been in a care home for a few months, in Sale, Manchester. At least 10 other recent deaths there.

She isn’t on the figures as the doctor said she didn’t have the virus at the time of death. Seems wrong somehow.

I’m sorry, I hope you are ok. 

41 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Sorry to hear that. When all this is finally over the issue of care homes has to be investigated. In the effort to empty hospitals in case of a huge influx of Covid patients many elderly patients were quickly moved to care homes. This introduced the virus to the very frail and caused many avoidable deaths. Mrs C works in this sector and has seen the effect this had. Your friends death should have been recorded as Covid related. 

I’ve been largely fine about Glastonbury not happening given the circumstances, but it’s just hit me like a freight train this morning.

The realisation that’s it’s 30 degrees on Wednesday, ok not ideal for pitching your tent, but once that’s done there is no finer thing in life than being able to wander round the sight in glorious sunshine and then sit up the hill for the sunset with such glorious weather.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’ve been largely fine about Glastonbury not happening given the circumstances, but it’s just hit me like a freight train this morning.

The realisation that’s it’s 30 degrees on Wednesday, ok not ideal for pitching your tent, but once that’s done there is no finer thing in life than being able to wander round the sight in glorious sunshine and then sit up the hill for the sunset with such glorious weather.

Rubbish isn't it :(  I keep telling myself it would have been too hot, but its not really working.  Watch it piss it down next year too.

5 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

Rubbish isn't it :(  I keep telling myself it would have been too hot, but its not really working.  Watch it piss it down next year too.

Nah, I mean it is too hot and it makes queuing and setting up your tent unpleasant.... but the moment you’re done it’s all worth it. The pay off of a sun drenched Glastonbury on a Wednesday is all the more enjoyable for the bit of unpleasantness that preceded it... that first cold beer 🤤

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

My local village pub has a nice grass common opposite. On Saturday they started doing takeaway pints, they were already selling takeaway food, so there were quite a few groups of people up on the common enjoying food & drink. Everyone was minding their own business and staying within their own groups, it was the first thing that's felt semi normal for me for a while... I was planning on going back Thursday after work for some food and a couple of pints. 

Anyway one of the local residents has complained and now the pub has had to stop doing it after one evening ! They only serve until 8pm!! I just feel it's really bad natured of someone to complain in current circumstances when people are struggling to find any small opportunities for normality and enjoyment. 

Sorry... vent over! 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

My local village pub has a nice grass common opposite. On Saturday they started doing takeaway pints, they were already selling takeaway food, so there were quite a few groups of people up on the common enjoying food & drink. Everyone was minding their own business and staying within their own groups, it was the first thing that's felt semi normal for me for a while... I was planning on going back Thursday after work for some food and a couple of pints. 

Anyway one of the local residents has complained and now the pub has had to stop doing it after one evening ! They only serve until 8pm!! I just feel it's really bad natured of someone to complain in current circumstances when people are struggling to find any small opportunities for normality and enjoyment. 

Sorry... vent over! 

Forgiven, it seems a shame that people are trying to do nice things in a tough time for everyone yet some feel the need to complain about it, people will never be happy I don't think 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Superscally said:

I'm thinking of doing same for my honeymooniversary. Fancy a pint?

I respect you as a solid regular poster on this forum, so i mean no offense when i say this, but, ... "honeymooniversary" That type of nonsense can get right in the bin. Your going on a holiday mate, nothing more, nothing less. 

24 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Pyramid scheme

This should have been the week of Glastonbury at 50 – will music festivals ever make a comeback?

https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2020/06/22/back-to-life-pyramid-scheme-glastonbury/content.html

Of course festivals will make a comeback, they won't go away forever. Besides that article is using the 2 meter rule which will be changed this week, so in another year I imagine the 2 meter rule will be gone. Have the faith guys, Glastonbury will happen next year and by this time next week we'll already be looking in a better position than we would have been (if you have tickets that is).

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Of course festivals will make a comeback, they won't go away forever. Besides that article is using the 2 meter rule which will be changed this week, so in another year I imagine the 2 meter rule will be gone. Have the faith guys, Glastonbury will happen next year and by this time next week we'll already be looking in a better position than we would have been (if you have tickets that is).

Like you, I’m feeling confident. Just got to be wary of that second wave but - even with this government - surely we’d be in a better position to down tools and lock down almost straight away now? 

2 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Like you, I’m feeling confident. Just got to be wary of that second wave but - even with this government - surely we’d be in a better position to down tools and lock down almost straight away now? 

I dont think there will be a second lockdown. Maybe regional ones

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Sounds about right...too damaging for the economy.

But, if second wave is worse than the first, like the spanish flu, then could be a different matter...but I don't think that is expected.

All depends what happens this autumn/winter. 

Lockdowns can’t continue though. The economic damage could have more disastrous effects for the average person. I work in manufacturing, if the retail sector doesn’t get the boost it needs soon then my industry will have to start making cuts. 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Pyramid scheme

This should have been the week of Glastonbury at 50 – will music festivals ever make a comeback?

https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2020/06/22/back-to-life-pyramid-scheme-glastonbury/content.html

Interesting read, although this made me spit out my coffee:

(although Adele’s audience is believed to have reached 150,000 in 2016).