When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

10 minutes ago, Homer said:

Interestingly I just did a dummy attempt to buy flights to Valence in late July and they're pretty much all sold out already (Easyjet from Gatwick). I'm still not sure if it's a good idea though.

I haven't worked it out either. My friends suggested we go to Tuscany for a few days in July to stay at an Airbnb. I'm keen, but I can't work out if it's ethically ok or not... 😕

39 minutes ago, Homer said:

Just seen this. Anyone got any thoughts on actually going abroad?

https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/21/spain-freely-welcomes-brits-without-quarantine-today-12881060/

I'd love to, and I'm still holding out hope that we'll get away towards the end of summer. I'll drive though, don't fancy airports and planes this year. 

1 minute ago, fatyeti24 said:

I'd love to, and I'm still holding out hope that we'll get away towards the end of summer. I'll drive though, don't fancy airports and planes this year. 

I'm inclined to agree. When my wife said Spain I replied that I still feel that driving to France would be a better option (we live South London so it's pretty easy; I drove over four years ago (and got teargassed (twice) for my troubles)).

We are already booked for Mykonos in Oct (we booked it in pre-Corona times).

Just now, Homer said:

I'm inclined to agree. When my wife said Spain I replied that I still feel that driving to France would be a better option (we live South London so it's pretty easy; I drove over four years ago (and got teargassed (twice) for my troubles)).

We are already booked for Mykonos in Oct (we booked it in pre-Corona times).

How fast were you driving?

Just now, Superscally said:

It was the chair throwing with a St George's flag tied round his shirtless waist and the "No surrender" songs...

We ended up in a gay bar, as it was the only place we could find where people weren't singing 'No surrender'. (Ah, gotta love a gay bar - it's been too long!)

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

How fast were you driving?

Ha! We were in Lille when all the England, Wales and Russian fans were all in the vicinity. Shockingly, the only ones I saw causing trouble were the England fans!

On 6/20/2020 at 9:23 AM, Zoo Music Girl said:

I actually think Johnson will be gone before the next election, but it'll be the same government essentially just with whoever Cummings crowns. Probably Gove.

See I'm not sure about this. I'd assume that if the Tory MPs decide they've had enough of Johnson, a lot more of them will have less time for Cummings, given his lockdown breaking was the starting point for the government's poll collapse, many have complained Number 10 is trying to shut out back-benchers and Cummings himself has voiced disdain for both party and its MPs in the past. So I'd assume they might want a different direction with different advisors.

22 minutes ago, Homer said:

Ha! We were in Lille when all the England, Wales and Russian fans were all in the vicinity. Shockingly, the only ones I saw causing trouble were the England fans!

What a fun time Euro 2016 was. Though I thought most of the bother was actually in Marseille when England played Russia in the opener.

42 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Yeah. I'm tempted to book a holiday for 2021, having seen people on my Instagram do it, but it feels premature.

The studies I've seen suggest the virus is much easier to contract indoors than outdoors, which means a long plane ride and queue in an airport feels like a likelier breeding ground. Which is a shame as I'm annoyed I didn't do more travel last year, having had that as a key plan, but it is what it is.

Anyone seen the government’s new plan for harvesting personal data since their app idea was thrown down the long drop?

The new plan is to force people to register online that they are going to the pub so they can be contacted in the case of a localised outbreak. 

This is going to kill the already damaged hospitality industry. 

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-lockdown-easing-on-track-and-you-may-have-to-register-before-going-to-the-pub-12011686

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

See I'm not sure about this. I'd assume that if the Tory MPs decide they've had enough of Johnson, a lot more of them will have less time for Cummings, given his lockdown breaking was the starting point for the government's poll collapse, many have complained Number 10 is trying to shut out back-benchers and Cummings himself has voiced disdain for both party and its MPs in the past. So I'd assume they might want a different direction with different advisors.

Nah Cummings won them the election and the referendum. He ain't going anywhere.

The Spanish decision is interesting. I would have thought having a ton of Brits descend on them right now was about the most risky thing they could do!

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

15 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

The Spanish decision is interesting. I would have thought having a ton of Brits descend on them right now was about the most risky thing they could do!

If he looks like he's losing them the next one then he's right out of the door.

39 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

it's a big part of the spanish economy.

A good summary on why everyone seems keen on moving forward with the Oxford vaccine, even though it doesn't do much to stop the spread:

In a way, the "good" thing about it not preventing infection is that there will probably be enough to do round - if it really only prevents disease, then there will be no point giving it to children.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Upvote 1

Crazy that it seems this will all just fizzle out in the coming months. Hard to comprehend that after all this damage. Load viral seems to be key and us keeping enough distance to lessen that load means people are less infectious when they do get it decreasing the risk further.

I'd say its looking more likely we'll be back at the farm next year.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

How does 43 deaths compare with last week ? Numbers still on downwards slope I think ... 

Slightly up from 36 but I read there was no care home data last week so a marginal increase, despite weekend lag it's encouraging to see things heading on a downwards trend however my thoughts are with everyone who has tragically lost a loved one during this period 

Just now, Chapple12345 said:

Slightly up from 36 but I read there was no care home data last week so a marginal increase, despite weekend lag it's encouraging to see things heading on a downwards trend however my thoughts are with everyone who has tragically lost a loved one during this period 

For sure ... I feel so fortunate that it’s not affected anyone I know in a severe way 

3 minutes ago, august1 said:

Crazy that it seems this will all just fizzle out in the coming months. Hard to comprehend that after all this damage. Load viral seems to be key and us keeping enough distance to lessen that load means people are less infectious when they do get it decreasing the risk further.

I'd say its looking more likely we'll be back at the farm next year.

The pubs aren't open yet, don't speak to soon.

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

For sure ... I feel so fortunate that it’s not affected anyone I know in a severe way 

I'm in Norfolk which has had a lower infection rate to other places in the country so I'm thankful that my direct family haven't been effected, however I have 2 distant family members in Kent and Jersey who have sadly passed from it, I certainly think there's a communal grief for everyone that has been lost in this time