When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

I wouldn't call it a tracker, it's the underpinnings to allow a tracker to work. And it's off.  Your permissions are fine.

Yeah @Copperface explained, thanks. My paranoid friends set me off. 

I'd even prepared a tin foil hat.

tenor.gif

• Upvote 1

So the Apple/Google app is Bluetooth beacon based tech too? The thing everyone was mocking the government for earlier? Just Apple and Google can make it run in the background which a proprietary app wouldn't be able to get permissions for? Am I understanding this right?

34 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

So the Apple/Google app is Bluetooth beacon based tech too? The thing everyone was mocking the government for earlier? Just Apple and Google can make it run in the background which a proprietary app wouldn't be able to get permissions for? Am I understanding this right?

I guess people trust Apple/Google more than the government

44 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

They are mocking the government because their app would be harvesting personal data. 

Goople (or Gapple 😂) won’t give the government the code that allows them access to the passive side of the device. Currently the only way the app will work is if you have your phone unlocked with the app open which is never going to be a practical solution. 

The bluetooth beacon will only log devices which also have the covid code activated and they pass within range of you. If you or someone you have been close to declares on their app that they have the virus, the theory is that they will be able to see who has been near you to both find where you may have picked up the virus and where you potentially have spread it too. 

This will only work if lots of people have it activated on their device. Something that isn’t likely to happen on a government designed app due to the severe mistrust of theme. Gooples app should hopefully do what is required without sharing the lucrative data. 

It speaks volumes for the perception of, respectively, our government and huge US data companies when it comes to privacy over our NHS data.

The NHS website here explains how they are already 'sharing' our data to Amazon.

This article reports the NHS pricing up our data to sell.

Everytime you ask Google what your symptoms might mean, they keep and use that data.

Apple can plead their case on privacy, and they may be comparably better than Google, but they operate within the laws of the land they are in.  If they are asked to share data, and don't have some kind of US constitution type rights to fall back on, then they comply.  As they do with China.  As they do in the UK.  It's 7 years since the Snowden revelations and in this country we didn't change anything so I think it's safe to assume it is still happening.

15 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

By my reckoning, we'll know by August whether we can live with the virus or not.  If numbers don't start growing much by then, we might be able to live our lives with it.  

by my reckoning if big problems are going to hit they'll going to be later than that - once we start living our lives back indoors.

22 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Why are the general public so blind when it comes to this? I’m seeing the same story all the time for different situations involving Cummings. Yet the masses don’t want to do anything about it because “Get Brexit Done” 🤦‍♂️

Hey, remember when Cummings got done for electoral fraud and didn't even turn up for the hearing?

Remember when the government tried to shutdown parliament and lost the court hearing 10/0 saying it was illegal?

Remember when Johnson got sacked (twice) for lying?

The electorate: 

tenor.gif

12 hours ago, onthebeach said:

Thank you Ozanne - yes, hopefully we will make it through and  have an amazing 2021 - what a party that’s going to be! It’s definitely my special place

Yes - I made it through the Thatcher years and hated her with a vengeance but at least you knew where you stood with her. This lot - it’s the incompetence, lying and gaslighting that takes it to another level!

I was born in 76, so can't comment too much on Thatcher, but at least she put the hours in (clearly!) and I'm sure took the job extremely seriously and was actually leading the whole thing. This lot just seem to be taking the piss.

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You may well be right. But I'm personally not planning to do any of those indoor activities, especially if the virus seems to be on the up again.

the point is that most people won't really have much choice. The option of doing stuff outdoors instead will be gone, and even the ventilation in indoor spaces will be less because windows will be closed.

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

I was born in 76, so can't comment too much on Thatcher, but at least she put the hours in (clearly!) and I'm sure took the job extremely seriously and was actually leading the whole thing. This lot just seem to be taking the piss.

yep. There was a lot wrong with Thatcher but you can't really doubt her abilities for the job.

I saw a bit the other day that the 1922 told Spaffer he needs to get his shit together or he won't make the next election. I can't see it making any difference tho, cos as well as being crap and a managing a crisis being waaay beyond him, he also seems to be having a mid-life crisis, what with the new younger girlfriend plus buying himself a motorbike to ride round Chequers.

6 minutes ago, Neil said:

yep. There was a lot wrong with Thatcher but you can't really doubt her abilities for the job.

I saw a bit the other day that the 1922 told Spaffer he needs to get his shit together or he won't make the next election. I can't see it making any difference tho, cos as well as being crap and a managing a crisis being waaay beyond him, he also seems to be having a mid-life crisis, what with the new younger girlfriend plus buying himself a motorbike to ride round Chequers.

Don't forget spaffing the best part of a million quid on a new paint job for 'his' plane.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Don't forget spaffing the best part of a million quid on a new paint job for 'his' plane.

yup, a plane that was made available for govt use on the basis that it'd still be available primarily for military use ... which it won't be when it's painted like a chrismas tree.

Spaffer is spending £1M to vanity-paint a plane. Let's rejoin the EU instead.

10 hours ago, mattiloy said:

I guess people trust Apple/Google more than the government

It's not that I trust them more than the government, it's that I'm already sharing all my info with Apple/Google just by using my phone, so their is no reason not to use their app. Their covid app isn't going to tell them more than they already know about you.

The best solution is going to be the one with the highest take up, and I have to admit I was in two minds whether I was willing to download the government one if they ever managed to get it released.

I'm over the moon they have decided to go with the Google/Apple version. 

10 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

probably best to set out your situation and then we can can from there ? 

I'm renting a room in a house. I've got a rolling contract and need to give two months notice if I leave. I've only been here for a month but I'm already thinking of leaving. I've only paid one month's rent and £25 deposit (I'm paying it in installments).

Unfortunately for me, the live-in landlord is a horrible person. He's a snobby classist, racist, misogynistic piece of shit. I did consider telling him that I don't want to talk about politics with him anymore because we disagree with each other and it just causes tension. But even without him spouting his horrible intolerant views... he's still a massive control freak and a creep. I don't day this lightly, but when I say "creep" I mean he honestly gives off rapey vibes, that even I'm starting to feel uncomfortable around him.

So if I leave without giving him the full notice, what have I got to lose, other than that £25?

56 minutes ago, mazola said:

It's not that I trust them more than the government, it's that I'm already sharing all my info with Apple/Google just by using my phone, so their is no reason not to use their app. Their covid app isn't going to tell them more than they already know about you.

The best solution is going to be the one with the highest take up, and I have to admit I was in two minds whether I was willing to download the government one if they ever managed to get it released.

I'm over the moon they have decided to go with the Google/Apple version. 

Same for me, I trust Apple infinitely more than this Government and am happy they are going this route. 

28 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I'm renting a room in a house. I've got a rolling contract and need to give two months notice if I leave. I've only been here for a month but I'm already thinking of leaving. I've only paid one month's rent and £25 deposit (I'm paying it in installments).

Unfortunately for me, the live-in landlord is a horrible person. He's a snobby classist, racist, misogynistic piece of shit. I did consider telling him that I don't want to talk about politics with him anymore because we disagree with each other and it just causes tension. But even without him spouting his horrible intolerant views... he's still a massive control freak and a creep. I don't day this lightly, but when I say "creep" I mean he honestly gives off rapey vibes, that even I'm starting to feel uncomfortable around him.

So if I leave without giving him the full notice, what have I got to lose, other than that £25?

Nothing really, although he might try to sue you for the remainder of the deposit and the rent you owe (if it's two months notice he might want that other month)? Would really recommend Money Saving Expert property forum for this kind of issue, there are a lot of people on there who know a lot about rental contracts. It will depend a lot what you have signed I should think.

Sounds grim though - hope you manage to sort it. 

43 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Another vote for Money Saving expert forums.  Lots of knowledgable people on there.

If he is giving you the creeps I would get out as soon as possible-trust your instincts!

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Nothing really, although he might try to sue you for the remainder of the deposit and the rent you owe (if it's two months notice he might want that other month)? Would really recommend Money Saving Expert property forum for this kind of issue, there are a lot of people on there who know a lot about rental contracts. It will depend a lot what you have signed I should think.

Sounds grim though - hope you manage to sort it. 

Thanks, I'll check out MSE :)

Just the other day he was telling me that he's no longer interested in relationships with women because he "likes their bodies, but doesn't like talking to them because all they ever do is complain and whine about feminism and equality".

Like why did he tell me that? Did he think we'd be kindred spirits? Took one look at me and thought "Oh this guy must be a creepy incel like me, we can be best friends and and complain that there isn't an international men's day together!". 😬