When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 hours ago, dingbat2 said:

I am probably on my own here, but I dont give a shit about my privacy at the moment, I am more worried about doing everything I can to reduce the risk to me, my family and my mother to survive this thing. If any government organisation or conglomerate wants to harvest information from  me then go for it, as long as me and my family are alive if and when this ends. You can feed me with targeted advertising as much as you want, you can steal my identity if you want , at least my family and I will be alive to have a living identity to steal when this ends

I understand that but it’s not my thinking. For all the upset this has caused and however Scary it is or is perceived to be, the odds are in favour of the *vast* majority of us being alive after it passes. At that point if you’ve given everything to the Government or had your identity stolen you aren’t getting it back.

My catchphrase at the moment is ‘risk vs reward’. Washing your hands, maintaining some Social Distancing, wearing Face Coverings, being overall sensible are easy things to do. Low effort, low risk, high reward. Giving any Government (let alone a demonstrably untrustworthy, data hungry one) all my details and jacking in my privacy to use an App for unproven benefits doesn’t balance right in my mind. 

• Upvote 2

I'm not familiar with countries that have an app functioning properly, but in Singapore whilst it's still in operation (and being mandatory to download for foreign workers) have transitioned  to QR code check in and outs and are planning to roll out a token/dongle that people will carry with them because of the issues faced with the app on locked screens. They've been reporting this since early June. Australia has  reported this week that the app only works in 1 in 4 cases.

Much like every decision that has needed to be made during this pandemic the UK seem to be 2 weeks late in getting there. 

Also, much like the post earlier, i can't get my head around the absolute lack of international co-operation in tackling this pandemic. 

7 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

I understand that but it’s not my thinking. For all the upset this has caused and however Scary it is or is perceived to be, the odds are in favour of the *vast* majority of us being alive after it passes. At that point if you’ve given everything to the Government or had your identity stolen you aren’t getting it back.

My catchphrase at the moment is ‘risk vs reward’. Washing your hands, maintaining some Social Distancing, wearing Face Coverings, being overall sensible are easy things to do. Low effort, low risk, high reward. Giving any Government (let alone a demonstrably untrustworthy, data hungry one) all my details and jacking in my privacy to use an App for unproven benefits doesn’t balance right in my mind. 

I could not agree more.  I worry that the media has got people in such a fear frenzy that some would do pretty much anything asked of them right now if they were promised it would make all this go away.   

3 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

I could not agree more.  I worry that the media has got people in such a fear frenzy that some would do pretty much anything asked of them right now if they were promised it would make all this go away.   

The fact is that Cummings/Gove/Johnson illegally used people's data in the leave campaign. (Also broke electoral law.)

https://techcrunch.com/2019/11/27/brexit-ad-blitz-data-firm-paid-by-vote-leave-broke-privacy-laws-watchdogs-find/

The current data laws are EU ones. The plan (so I read) is for people to make their money from our data once we are out. Cummimgs/Gove are also apparently setting up some national database using AI tech/our private NHS records.

38 minutes ago, Homer said:

The current data laws are EU ones. The plan (so I read) is for people to make their money from our data once we are out. Cummimgs/Gove are also apparently setting up some national database using AI tech/our private NHS records.

Why are the general public so blind when it comes to this? I’m seeing the same story all the time for different situations involving Cummings. Yet the masses don’t want to do anything about it because “Get Brexit Done” 🤦‍♂️

Edited by squirrelarmy

Seems a little odd, seeing as the ONS released this yesterday, a day early confirming infection rates have more or less levelled off with a very very marginal decrease from the week before:

Edit: although the weird thing is they’ve doubled up last weeks data with this weeks, so rather than a weekly interval this for some reason covers a two week interval.

C007FF28-6EE4-4300-8981-919081A30888.jpeg

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

https://www.cineworld.co.uk/static/en/uk/blog/cineworld-cinemas-reopening-safety-measures-coronavirus-covid-19?utm_campaign=1962020_591675&utm_medium=sfmc&utm_source=email

Info from Cineworld regarding regarding their measures. Although they are annoyingly vague on social distancing measures in cinemas. I presume if you live in your own or not with friends you can’t go with them? It just says about booking seats but doesn’t go into detail. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

https://www.cineworld.co.uk/static/en/uk/blog/cineworld-cinemas-reopening-safety-measures-coronavirus-covid-19?utm_campaign=1962020_591675&utm_medium=sfmc&utm_source=email

Info from Cineworld regarding regarding their measures. Although they are annoyingly vague on social distancing measures in cinemas. I presume if you live in your own or not with friends you can’t go with them? It just says about booking seats but doesn’t go into detail. 

I suppose you are really really supposed to go with your bubble if you have one.  Not that anyone would know.

8 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

I suppose you are really really supposed to go with your bubble if you have one.  Not that anyone would know.

There is that. Are Cinemas particularly safe with a virus, I’m thinking of the air con units spreading it around?

36 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

There is that. Are Cinemas particularly safe with a virus, I’m thinking of the air con units spreading it around?

I'm not sure.  I think this could be the case in quite a few places (on planes for example) and distancing is pretty pointless and more of a psychological thing than anything else.  I rarely go to the cinema so it's not something I will be rushing to do.

Edited by Cream Soda

Waiting for the update for Wales today. Apparently the "no travelling more than 5 miles to visit people" rule is going out the window. Sjops are opening Monday. 

Working for a beer company I'm keen to see what they're going to do with pubs, particularly in Wales. Can't help but feel they'll have to be on the same timeline as England for that or you'll just have people going over the bridge to pubs in Bristol etc.

Having said that... we wouldn't let English people use our beaches. Perfect revenge to ban us from their pubs :D 

5 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Waiting for the update for Wales today. Apparently the "no travelling more than 5 miles to visit people" rule is going out the window. Sjops are opening Monday. 

Working for a beer company I'm keen to see what they're going to do with pubs, particularly in Wales. Can't help but feel they'll have to be on the same timeline as England for that or you'll just have people going over the bridge to pubs in Bristol etc.

Having said that... we wouldn't let English people use our beaches. Perfect revenge to ban us from their pubs :D 

Butlins Minehead won't survive without the welsh :) 

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Butlins Minehead won't survive without the welsh :) 

Haha this is far too true. The amount of people I know who go there on the 90s weekends and the like is crazy. Can't think of anything worse personally but each to their own!

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Surely not if pubs aren't? It's prolonged contact, hopefully reduced if people wear masks, but still breathing the same air in a relatively enclosed space for 2 hours. 

The Guardian science podcast this week covered air conditioners.  Apparently, it mainly depends on:

• The quality of the filters.
  • The amount of fresh air being introduced. 

Since aeroplanes score highly on both measures (surgical level air filters), the net effect of the air conditioning is to make things safer, as the reduction in the viral load in the air is more important than the mixing of the air.

Crappy old air con units that introduce little or no fresh air and have crappy filters make things worse with the mixing.  So the question is - do you trust your local cinema?

7 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Haha this is far too true. The amount of people I know who go there on the 90s weekends and the like is crazy. Can't think of anything worse personally but each to their own!

Actually the cream one is quite enjoyable ... that’s the only one I’ve gone to though ... any excuse to get out :)