When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

If people want to go shop (and are taking Care) that’s fine with me. I’ve no desire to do it but if that’s what makes people better in the middle of this shitty year more power to them

Edited by MEGABOWL
Wrong closing bracket

4 hours ago, Ozanne said:

I actually LOL'd with that first question from the public, he said hello to a recording then stood there for good few seconds whilst the question was written in front of him. Good old Raab.

A few weeks ago I was sure he was going to ask the member of the public if they had a follow up question, but just managed to catch himself before he did.

17 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

A few weeks ago I was sure he was going to ask the member of the public if they had a follow up question, but just managed to catch himself before he did.

Either he's done that multiple times or I know exactly the moment you're talking about! Had me in stitches.

7 hours ago, zahidf said:

Jeremy hunt is nice enough, but apparently his office is full of pictures of him meeting celebrities.  

When he was SoS for Health his office had a lot of Japanese art and sculptures, or at least it did circa 2015-16. I do like the idea of his walls adorned with a picture of him shaking hands with John Inverdale though. 

5 hours ago, sirjonnyp said:

When he was SoS for Health his office had a lot of Japanese art and sculptures, or at least it did circa 2015-16. I do like the idea of his walls adorned with a picture of him shaking hands with John Inverdale though. 

Isn't it Hunt that forgot what nationality his own *wife* was? 

So the first new cases in New Zealand after 24 days of none, have come in from the UK 🙄

This news has really gotten me down. I think because we know it must be out there, among our community, undetected, but as a country we are doing the absolute bare minimum to stop it exploding again.

The pictures of the overcrowded queues yesterday, in a lot of picture with hardly any people wearing masks... we are an absolute laughing stock.

23 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

So the first new cases in New Zealand after 24 days of none, have come in from the UK 🙄

This news has really gotten me down. I think because we know it must be out there, among our community, undetected, but as a country we are doing the absolute bare minimum to stop it exploding again.

The pictures of the overcrowded queues yesterday, in a lot of picture with hardly any people wearing masks... we are an absolute laughing stock.

Nothing to worry about in NZ, if you have zero cases it’s only a matter of time until some come back in. The virus certainly hasn’t gone anywhere and quite possibly won’t go anywhere. 

The ONS surveillance tells us how much of the virus is in the community, at the moment it’s 0.06% of the population and falling. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Nothing to worry about in NZ, if you have zero cases it’s only a matter of time until some come back in. The virus certainly hasn’t gone anywhere and quite possibly won’t go anywhere. 

The ONS surveillance tells us how much of the virus is in the community, at the moment it’s 0.06% of the population and falling. 

Yeah, the headline was a little sensationalist there. The story says that both cases came from the same family and they isolated in a secure hotel before saying goodbye to a dying family member.

On 6/14/2020 at 5:11 PM, Sawdusty Surfer said:

I've been hearing rumours of a couple of free parties in the SW in a couple of weeks time. As Solstice falls on a weekend and as I'm already hearng these rumours I suspect that there are going to be a few going on.

I must say that had this been  35 years ago I *might  have been involved.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/15/summer-of-illegal-raves-expected-in-england-despite-coronavirus-crisis?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2N5LPMk_A36y4qkToolmdKQg5pVlLOKOpw8bldCJMBBtxzEoxZhKrnXx0#Echobox=1592249787

24 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Yeah, the headline was a little sensationalist there. The story says that both cases came from the same family and they isolated in a secure hotel before saying goodbye to a dying family member.

Completely understandable circumstances and it was clearly allowed by the government there, as well as that they mention they only ever used private transport excluding the plane. They also don't seem to know where the said people are citizens of nor where they may have picked it up so I'd side this more on the sensationalist side as you've said. 

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Does anyone think that Keir Starmer will come watch the Liverpool games with me?

This is very random but I had a dream about you last night. BBC news had some big story and they credited "political commentator Ozanne" for breaking the story on the Twitter. Can't remember anything else but there you go 😀

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

This is very random but I had a dream about you last night. BBC news had some big story and they credited "political commentator Ozanne" for breaking the story on the Twitter. Can't remember anything else but there you go 😀

😂 amazing. Hopefully I was breaking the story of the collapse of the Tory government, paving the way for years of Starmer rule. 

34456D3C-E0F2-474B-890E-BFC65AA07EF9.gif

Edited by Ozanne
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

😂 amazing. Hopefully I was breaking the story of the collapse of the Tory government, paving the way for years of Starmer rule. 

I don't know much about Starmer.  Is there something he has done in his past that gives you so much confidence in him? I've lost faith in most/all politicians.  Corbyn was the only one that seemed to me to really be cut from a different cloth, but that ship has sailed.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

I don't know much about Starmer.  Is there something he has done in his past that gives you so much confidence in him? I've lost faith in most/all politicians.  Corbyn was the only one that seemed to me to really be cut from a different cloth, but that ship has sailed.

In my opinion:

Starmer seems to have a real plan for getting the Tories out. Everything he does is very calm and calculated and, as much as I liked Corbyn, he hasn't yet fallen in to their traps the same way Jez did repeatedly.

He's got a great track record as a human rights lawyer and QC and feels to me like the guy who can do the most to unify the party (at least as much as possible). He's very different from Corbyn. He doesn't show the same passion and lacks the cult of personality vibe, but on the flip side he's much less divisive, articulate and sensible. Basically he's the type of leader *I* think we need at this time - someone who can appeal to many different people at once. He just seems like a top bloke as well.

AstraZeneca’s potential coronavirus vaccine is likely to provide protection against contracting Covid-19 for about a year, the company’s chief executive told a Belgian radio station today, reports Reuters.

The British company has already begun human trials of the vaccine developed by the University of Oxford, with a phase I trial in Britain due to end soon and a phase III trial already begun, Pascal Soriot told broadcaster Bel RTL. “We think that it will protect for about a year,” Soriot said.

AstraZeneca said on Saturday that it had signed contracts with France, Germany, Italy and the Netherlands to supply the European Union with up to 400m doses of the potential vaccine. It has also agreed deals with Britain and the US.

“If all goes well, we will have the results of the clinical trials in August/September. We are manufacturing in parallel. We will be ready to deliver from October if all goes well,” Soriot said.

12 minutes ago, jparx said:

In my opinion:

Starmer seems to have a real plan for getting the Tories out. Everything he does is very calm and calculated and, as much as I liked Corbyn, he hasn't yet fallen in to their traps the same way Jez did repeatedly.

He's got a great track record as a human rights lawyer and QC and feels to me like the guy who can do the most to unify the party (at least as much as possible). He's very different from Corbyn. He doesn't show the same passion and lacks the cult of personality vibe, but on the flip side he's much less divisive, articulate and sensible. Basically he's the type of leader *I* think we need at this time - someone who can appeal to many different people at once. He just seems like a top bloke as well.

It will be interesting to see what his policies are when the time comes.  It just feels like we go from one party to the other and back again over the years and different bits and pieces get done but is there ever any real change?  JC did feel "different", he didn't feel like part of the establishment and is the only person I've felt was a real threat to the status quo, hence why the media were so keen to destroy him.  I hope we are not back to more of the same with Starmer, but I am totally open when it comes to voting and am ready to be swayed as we clearly need some sort of change.  I just wish we had something other than a 2 party system which I am totally turned off by.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, zahidf said:

AstraZeneca’s potential coronavirus vaccine is likely to provide protection against contracting Covid-19 for about a year, the company’s chief executive told a Belgian radio station today, reports Reuters.

The British company has already begun human trials of the vaccine developed by the University of Oxford, with a phase I trial in Britain due to end soon and a phase III trial already begun, Pascal Soriot told broadcaster Bel RTL. “We think that it will protect for about a year,” Soriot said.

AstraZeneca said on Saturday that it had signed contracts with France, Germany, Italy and the Netherlands to supply the European Union with up to 400m doses of the potential vaccine. It has also agreed deals with Britain and the US.

“If all goes well, we will have the results of the clinical trials in August/September. We are manufacturing in parallel. We will be ready to deliver from October if all goes well,” Soriot said.

I reckon the Government must be pretty confident this will be the case, try and keep a lid on it until October just before a second wave might otherwise have kicked in.