When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Completely agree that wearing masks is the responsible thing to do. I always wear mine when going to any enclosed spaces (supermarket etc). I will even take mine to the zoo next week, as even though it’s an outdoor space, while going through the ticketing barriers and security I feel it is only fair to the staff to wear one.

Unfortunately I think it just shows how irresponsible we are as a country when only about 10% of the UK wear face masks. This probably doesn’t help due to misinformation from the government and the WHO saying they were ineffective, when all of the evidence was pointing in the other direction. And then for them to both do a u turn makes no one trust them anymore.

I think it’s all time we start wearing masks in any enclosed spaces, as this is really the fuel for the virus to spread. Supermarkets, cinemas, shops, shopping centres, bowling alleys. When all of these things reopen the responsible thing to do is to have compulsory masks (as they do in other countries) as the evidence points in that direction.

In Portugal they are even running concerts, but everyone has to wear a face mask, and the epidemic has been handled OK there. (I don’t think concerts should be running in the UK but just making the point that masks are compulsory in public spaces, and they should be here too).

Going back to the zoo, I’m going to whipsnade next week and they have told us to bring a face mask as they will be required in some areas. I wonder what these areas will be. I doubt through the entrance turnstiles but perhaps through the indoor exhibits.

Edited by FestivalJamie

8 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I wear a mask when I go to the supermarket, but... Urgh, they're not nice, especially if you wear glasses.

I don't think I'll be doing much that needs mask wearing until you don't need one any more.

If it's fitted correctly at the nose, hot air shouldn't be rising up and misting up your glasses...but depending on the mask, this can be difficult (my wife wears glasses and isn't a fan of masks for this very reason, though she too wears one in the shops). They used to fog up our goggles in the lab too, so we used to wash the goggles in soapy water and air dry. Seemed to stop them misting up. Might work for glasses too? I presume the de-misting stuff they put on mirrors might work as well? (sorry, I'm really not being very specific here and probably not helping at all!)...

3 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

If it's fitted correctly at the nose, hot air shouldn't be rising up and misting up your glasses...but depending on the mask, this can be difficult (my wife wears glasses and isn't a fan of masks for this very reason, though she too wears one in the shops). They used to fog up our goggles in the lab too, so we used to wash the goggles in soapy water and air dry. Seemed to stop them misting up. Might work for glasses too? I presume the de-misting stuff they put on mirrors might work as well? (sorry, I'm really not being very specific here and probably not helping at all!)...

As ever, your comments are useful and very much appreciated. 

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I wear a mask when I go to the supermarket, but... Urgh, they're not nice, especially if you wear glasses.

I don't think I'll be doing much that needs mask wearing until you don't need one any more.

I know I wear glasses too and hate the misting up, plus I wear a hearing aid so masks are the pits for me. I've invested in a scarf like viral coated thing as it doesn't go over me ears, but you do have to have the mask high on the bridge of your nose so not to mist glasses up - it washable and is easy to wear but is a wee expensive

https://www.virustaticshield.com/product/virustatic-shield/?attribute_pa_colour=white 

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I found if your mask has the wire insert then pinching it tightly round the bridge of your nose can help with steamy glasses!

Selfish question and not sure if anyone will have an idea.

But what do you think the chances of my trip to Japan in late October going ahead are.

I hear they are slowly allowing business people in from certain countries soon,  but I am not that optimistic to be honest.

Edited by Earth_pig
Spelling

5 hours ago, Earth_pig said:

Selfish question and not sure if anyone will have an idea.

But what do you think the chances of my trip to Japan in late October going ahead are.

I hear they are slowly allowing business people in from certain countries soon,  but I am not that optimistic to be honest.

Well...of course no one know, depends on situation in October both here and in Japan. If things keep improving they may lift entry bans from places like UK, but Japan really want to keep this thing under control so who knows...

My partner is Japanese and she wants to go back to see her Mum, but has pretty much given up on any chance of going this year.

8 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I struggle with masks- I feel like I can't breathe with them on (I know it's probably psychosomatic- I was born with the umbilical cord wrapped round my neck so I've always had an anxiety about suffocating!). I've tried a few, and found this one was a bit better for me:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VBIGER-Bandana-Headwear-Headband-Protection/dp/B073PYT7K9/ref=sr_1_33?dchild=1&keywords=cloth%2Bmask&qid=1592037099&sr=8-33&th=1

Still steams up glasses though! But makes a nice neck scarf thing when you lower it once you've left transport/ the shop/ or wherever you're meant to wear it

40 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I struggle with masks- I feel like I can't breathe with them on (I know it's probably psychosomatic- I was born with the umbilical cord wrapped round my neck so I've always had an anxiety about suffocating!). I've tried a few, and found this one was a bit better for me:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VBIGER-Bandana-Headwear-Headband-Protection/dp/B073PYT7K9/ref=sr_1_33?dchild=1&keywords=cloth%2Bmask&qid=1592037099&sr=8-33&th=1

Still steams up glasses though! But makes a nice neck scarf thing when you lower it once you've left transport/ the shop/ or wherever you're meant to wear it

I’ve been wondering what type of face covering to go for, I’m really unsure. I want one that’s easy to put on and off but isn’t as full on as that one. 

11 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah in combination it does induce discomfort. I wear mine now as default for indoor shops and it isn't easy. One of my issues with returning to work at my usual office is that I feel like I would have to change the mask every few hours to make sure its still effective.

6 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Spike in Beijing...51 new cases, 45 of them asymptomatic. Illustrates how vigilance is required as things open back up (another food market as it happens)...the 45 asymptomatic cases were identified through mass testing and contact tracing.

I saw that, was in a vegetable market wasn’t it?

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I saw that, was in a vegetable market wasn’t it?

Found on salmon chopping boards apparently! I guess the lesson is that in December/January, they wouldn’t have had the same testing regime, so the 90% asymptomatic cases would have been missed...

Just now, Toilet Duck said:

Found on salmon chopping boards apparently! I guess the lesson is that in December/January, they wouldn’t have had the same testing regime, so the 90% asymptomatic cases would have been missed...

Do you think ours ... England’s is robust enough to spot and trace such outbreaks at present ? I know we got some early figures of it starting to function ...

3 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

It goes to show we can’t fully relax!

19 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Do you think ours ... England’s is robust enough to spot and trace such outbreaks at present ? I know we got some early figures of it starting to function ...

Everywhere is a whole lot better than at the start. An app that people actually felt comfortable using would help immensely (no option in China, prefer it wasn’t like that here!). I doubt the people at the market could name all those they came in contact with, so relying solely on human tracing is going to miss a lot.