When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

It will take quite a lot of pushing the message for masks to become standard in shops, even if they make it mandatory (of course people will be refused entry which would help). I wear a mask to Tesco now but I'd say less than 20%, maybe even less than 10%, of customers wear them. I always feel a bit of a weirdo. And most of the staff seem to have given up wearing them now as well.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It will take quite a lot of pushing the message for masks to become standard in shops, even if they make it mandatory (of course people will be refused entry which would help). I wear a mask to Tesco now but I'd say less than 20%, maybe even less than 10%, of customers wear them. I always feel a bit of a weirdo. And most of the staff seem to have given up wearing them now as well.

The staff seem to be the worst. Randomly wandering up and down aisles irrespective of who is there or what the one way should be. They've gone completely back to normal most of them.

To be fair, I can understand. I've not had to do a big shop for a while as online shopping slots are more available, but whenever I did, I came home emotionally exhausted after trying to keep my distance all the time. There's no way I could keep that up for 8 hours a day every day.

9 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I don't know if I am too relaxed or my concept of social distancing is not accurate or something.  I don't wear a mask to the supermarket and haven't felt the need to as I've been able to keep socially distanced at all times.  I find the queuing system means its much quieter than usual once you actually get inside and genuinely can't think of a time where I've felt a real problem.  I am in and out quite quickly though so I do appreciate staff might feel differently.

46 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The point that masks should’ve been compulsory was when Boris said if you can’t work from home go back to work but to avoid public transport.

At any point before that they would’ve been fairly pointless in the wider scheme of things because we weren’t meant to be in a situation where we would be within 2 metres of anybody anyway. The lockdown would’ve completely overwhelmed any negligible benefit of masks at that point, whilst also unnecessarily risking NHS supplies.

As more things open up they become correspondingly beneficial.

You're totally right but there's the human psychological element also. If we were ever going to need face coverings, we should have done it from the start - as getting people to adapt later on is a lot harder.

I'm laughing my arse off at the govt claiming they're renationalising the probation service because of covid.

It's nothing to do with Grayling being even shitter than Spaffer, of course.

8 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The staff seem to be the worst. Randomly wandering up and down aisles irrespective of who is there or what the one way should be. They've gone completely back to normal most of them.

To be fair, I can understand. I've not had to do a big shop for a while as online shopping slots are more available, but whenever I did, I came home emotionally exhausted after trying to keep my distance all the time. There's no way I could keep that up for 8 hours a day every day.

the home shoppers unfortunately cant avoid this at present ... unless the home shop system got a fairly major over haul ... I took part in setting mine up and its done for the quickest routes .and the arrows came later with no concept of that .. so an element of getting home shoppers off the shop floor as quickly as possible to allow customers in is important ... as for the rest that is disgraceful and I know it happens along with the mask thing ... I would just love my supermarket to take a lead and numbers instore could increase as the safety does ... no way this can work if we get to xmas ... the whole carpark would be one big queue with no parking available ...

14 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

No one follows the arrows in my store, staff or customers. I'm still trying to but I do feel like a mug for it. There's no social distancing at all really except for the queue on the way in and at the tills. We are taking it in turns to go once a week for a big shop and I do absolutely dread the experience.

Which leads me to my next point really: I have no desire at all to go shopping and boost the economy from Monday. Yes I have saved money, but as a freelancer I don't know what is round the corner (well I kind of do). I don't need to spend for the sake of it and anything I do need can be bought online. Soz Rishi.

• Upvote 1

Our local ASDA is a nightmare. It's pretty small and the queue for the self service checkouts therefore has to go up one of the aisles. In the opposite direction to the one way signs. Which obviously breaks the entire flow of the supermarket and renders all that pointless.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

No one follows the arrows in my store, staff or customers. I'm still trying to but I do feel like a mug for it. There's no social distancing at all really except for the queue on the way in and at the tills. We are taking it in turns to go once a week for a big shop and I do absolutely dread the experience.

Which leads me to my next point really: I have no desire at all to go shopping and boost the economy from Monday. Yes I have saved money, but as a freelancer I don't know what is round the corner (well I kind of do). I don't need to spend for the sake of it and anything I do need can be bought online. Soz Rishi.

they are covid secure though ... no need to worry its all fine !! ( apparently !!  ) ive got my mask and shield ready for return in july .. 

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I've been in the fortunate position if having a main client who have been wanting me to go permanent with them. I've sadly agreed to go salaried for the time being, which is great from a security point of view, but I'm very sad not to be independent after nine years of enjoying being my own boss.

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

Our local ASDA is a nightmare. It's pretty small and the queue for the self service checkouts therefore has to go up one of the aisles. In the opposite direction to the one way signs. Which obviously breaks the entire flow of the supermarket and renders all that pointless.

they only open every other till im told ... so face masks could allow them to get the customers in and and out faster with more tills open ... I know they have put screens on some tills for the colleagues but this doesnt help the customers 

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

they are covid secure though ... no need to worry its all fine !! ( apparently !!  ) ive got my mask and shield ready for return in july .. 

It would be good if the staff would wear masks, since being in the shop all day they're more likely to catch it, but see above point about me not being able to do it.

As much as I would like the staff in supermarkets to do more, I salt the every one of you for all the effort and risk you're currently undertaking.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

4 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Yeah we have that issue too. The whole home cleaning products and loo roll aisle is always also the queue.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It would be good if the staff would wear masks, since being in the shop all day they're more likely to catch it, but see above point about me not being able to do it.

As much as I would like the staff in supermarkets to do more, I salt the every one of you for all the effort and risk you're currently doing.

100% echo this. Retail staff have been heroes throughout this and not meaning to diss them at all. I more worry for their health if anything.

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I've been in the fortunate position if having a main client who have been wanting me to go permanent with them. I've sadly agreed to go salaried for the time being, which is great from a security point of view, but I'm very sad not to be independent after nine years of enjoying being my own boss.

I'm actually in a similar position in that since the start of the year I've been working primarily for one client for four days a week, and actually managing to fill the fifth day with small jobs pretty consistently. It does mean I feel like a staffer now though. However I'm still not one and that is not on the cards, so I'm aware I could be out of work in a heartbeat going forward. The recession and Brexit stuff really worries me on the back of all this. I imagine a lot of people like me will have cash to spare but be wary of spending.

8 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

As much as I would like the staff in supermarkets to do more, I salt the every one of you for all the effort and risk you're currently doing.

unfortunately not me ive been sat on my ass for 3 months and im itching to go back ... as a caveat the store employs 450 people ish ... and from what ive heard I can only be sure that 3 people are very likely to have had it ..... 2 had been to italy ... obviously some off with mild symptoms that could have been anything ... but it does make me worry less because the contact times must be so minimal and often the contact will be when you have your back turned to them ( think im trying to convince myself here ) 

Edited by crazyfool1

6 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

100% echo this. Retail staff have been heroes throughout this and not meaning to diss them at all. I more worry for their health if anything.

I'm actually in a similar position in that since the start of the year I've been working primarily for one client for four days a week, and actually managing to fill the fifth day with small jobs pretty consistently. It does mean I feel like a staffer now though. However I'm still not one and that is not on the cards, so I'm aware I could be out of work in a heartbeat going forward. The recession and Brexit stuff really worries me on the back of all this. I imagine a lot of people like me will have cash to spare but be wary of spending.

Could you approach them and ask to be taken on? If they're paying you freelance rates, then it will probably be worth their while to get you on a salary?

4 hours ago, Chef said:

Glad to hear nothing serious came of it. May I ask how you managed to get a test? 

I am a nurse in London they have been rolling them out for staff the last couple of weeks, not sure when they will be more widely available but hopefully not to long. 

Its a blood test, i got my result a few days later via email.

Edited by Earth_pig

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Well it’s definately offered in  some places as my sister is carrying it out as a nurse ... don’t think they are wanting it as public knowledge however ... so I will wait to see if it’s offered first ... and then state the case that my sisters surgery are offering it ... bloods are booked for Monday so I will update on here either way ... and thanks for that article that should help 

No probs - good luck with it.  I have just spoken to Drs again as they called to confirm my appt for next week.  She confirmed it is not available in our area (Harrogate), said the testing has been scarce and no antibody tests done for anyone locally yet including the NHS staff.

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Could you approach them and ask to be taken on? If they're paying you freelance rates, then it will probably be worth their while to get you on a salary?

They have a hiring freeze at the moment and have actually just made redundancies so not the time. Also I'm pretty sure I'm cheaper than being on staff at the moment (freelance rates in my industry really ain't all that). Like you I also don't really want to stop being freelance either, even though I feel like I basically have, but that probably wouldn't stop me taking a permanent job in the current climate.

Yeah it's not clear actually whether people didn't provide contacts because they didn't have any or just didn't give over the info. If it's the former then I guess two thirds isn't bad. If they contact me for example I will only have seen my partner so wouldn't really have anything to say.

9 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

From the BBC story on test and trace:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53006938

Is it me or are these numbers really a bit shit? Only 85% of people traced and only two thirds of people identifying contacts?

It’s not bad to be honest, but at the moment people are still limiting contacts. Here, average number of contacts per case has risen again slightly to 4 or 5. At the start it was 20+. When you have people back on public transport, a fair chunk of their contacts become unknown. Australia was contacting 60+ contacts per case at one stage. It’s exactly why a good, proximity-based app could augment human contact tracing, but rolling it out hasn’t really worked properly and, again, public confidence in it is diminished. Work to do to explain the strategy and get people on board.

40 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

That's exactly where I am - I'm basically assuming I'll have no work for a few months start of next year and saving accordingly. To be fair I'm assuming my freelance time will be over in 2021 so enjoying the freedom when I can! 

Edited by efcfanwirral