When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

By that do you mean the virus could be eradicated?

More or less (that should be our aim). Once levels get low again, you can go back to containment. Our testing, tracing, case isolation capacity was poor at the start of the outbreak, but significantly better now. We also know more about how it spreads. It can be done without shutting everything down again (only because cases have dropped a lot, when the shutdown happened,  that was the only option left...if that has to happen again, it’s a fairly huge systematic failure to manage it properly). 

3 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I really think face masks need to become a requirement in all public spaces if social distancing is planned to be compromised.

But at the end of the day I would say sufficient testing and contact tracing is the most important thing, and the government still haven’t managed that properly yet. 

Agree!

7 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I really think face masks need to become a requirement in all public spaces if social distancing is planned to be compromised.

But at the end of the day I would say sufficient testing and contact tracing is the most important thing, and the government still haven’t managed that properly yet. 

B2183DBC-3091-48CC-9974-F3FC2EFD4F00.png

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

One way I think is if you need to have bloods taken ... I believe it should be offered , if not just ask ... I’m trying this out hopefully later this week 

Tried this at my Drs as I'm due bloods this week.  They said they aren't able to offer it yet so let me know what yours says and I may push harder.

Otherwise looks like more BS from Govt - Tests BS

6 minutes ago, Northtim said:

Tried this at my Drs as I'm due bloods this week.  They said they aren't able to offer it yet so let me know what yours says and I may push harder.

Otherwise looks like more BS from Govt - Tests BS

Well it’s definately offered in  some places as my sister is carrying it out as a nurse ... don’t think they are wanting it as public knowledge however ... so I will wait to see if it’s offered first ... and then state the case that my sisters surgery are offering it ... bloods are booked for Monday so I will update on here either way ... and thanks for that article that should help 

Edited by crazyfool1

2 hours ago, phimill said:

Great idea....but how do you double/triple the amount of teachers available to teach all these smaller classes - class sizes now max 15 - but realistically between 8-10.

Why rush more than all other developed nations - keep Y6/Y1 as per until end of the year. 1m looking likely from July so possibly reduced further by September. 

Politicians/Media playing politics is making things rush were they do not necessarily need too

They could do what they did with Drs and Nurses and ask retired Teachers to come back to work?

Coachella 2020 cancelled, and it’s likely that the April 2021 edition will be cancelled too. There’s rumours they will move to October to ensure the festival goes ahead next year.

This might be a real concern if some big festivals are put off by early summer 2021.

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Coachella 2020 cancelled, and it’s likely that the April 2021 edition will be cancelled too. There’s rumours they will move to October to ensure the festival goes ahead next year.

This might be a real concern if some big festivals are put off by early summer 2021.

Where did you hear it’s likely April 2021 will be cancelled?

"Encourage constituents to go shopping". I know the alternative systems are worse but its not a great sign for a system when individual financial prudence is actually bad for the wider population if practised by too many people. "Go out and spend money you don't have on things you don't need". 

This has really shown me just how much I was wasting before. 

Edited by efcfanwirral

35 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

B2183DBC-3091-48CC-9974-F3FC2EFD4F00.png

If this is the attitude everyone has, then the UK will definitely have a second wave.

Implementing face masks now could completely eradicate a second wave of the virus in the UK.

Yes, the decision for compulsory face masks should have been taken 2 months ago, but it’s never too late, especially if you want to stop spread of infection and prevent a major second wave in this country.

Requiring condoms at a baby shower wouldn’t stop the first baby being born, but it would stop any future babies being born. It’s the same logic as that.

Plus I’m even more specifically talking about if the distancing is reduced from 2m to 1m that face masks MUST be compulsory in enclosed environments. At the moment most people are keeping 2m away which reduces chance of viral spread.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:
"Encourage constituents to go shopping". I know the alternative systems are worse but its not a great sign for a system when individual financial prudence is actually bad for the wider population if practised by too many people. "Go out and spend money you don't have on things you don't need". 

I think part of the issue is loads of people do have money and haven't been spending it because the shops were closed. The vast majority are still in work at the moment, albeit potentially furloughed on 80% pay. But with nothing to spend money on a lot of that cash is just building up in bank accounts. And for those not furloughed... there was something the other day saying a record amount of debt had been paid off in the past three months. The government have paid out a lot of money and there's a desire to get that back into the economy.

13 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

If this is the attitude everyone has, then the UK will definitely have a second wave.

Implementing face masks now could completely eradicate a second wave of the virus in the UK.

Yes, the decision for compulsory face masks should have been taken 2 months ago, but it’s never too late, especially if you want to stop spread of infection and prevent a major second wave in this country.

Requiring condoms at a baby shower wouldn’t stop the first baby being born, but it would stop any future babies being born. It’s the same logic as that.

Plus I’m even more specifically talking about if the distancing is reduced from 2m to 1m that face masks MUST be compulsory in enclosed environments. At the moment most people are keeping 2m away which reduces chance of viral spread.

It's a meme so it doesn't have to make sense.

• Upvote 1

The point that masks should’ve been compulsory was when Boris said if you can’t work from home go back to work but to avoid public transport.

At any point before that they would’ve been fairly pointless in the wider scheme of things because we weren’t meant to be in a situation where we would be within 2 metres of anybody anyway. The lockdown would’ve completely overwhelmed any negligible benefit of masks at that point, whilst also unnecessarily risking NHS supplies.

As more things open up they become correspondingly beneficial.

Just now, DeanoL said:

I think part of the issue is loads of people do have money and haven't been spending it because the shops were closed. The vast majority are still in work at the moment, albeit potentially furloughed on 80% pay. But with nothing to spend money on a lot of that cash is just building up in bank accounts. And for those not furloughed... there was something the other day saying a record amount of debt had been paid off in the past three months. The government have paid out a lot of money and there's a desire to get that back into the economy.

I was thinking about this the other day. Based on the average wage in the country, anyone who has been furloughed for 3 months on 80% salary has been given £7000 by the government. They will definitely be wanting that money back. Are we going to expect significant tax rises over the next few years? 

26 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I’m reading that more as a ‘Go out and buy yourself something nice while helping a shop stay afloat’, almost like a treat for doing the right thing for the past three months?

11 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'd say quarantining visitors to the UK is the better comparison.

Yep, blanket quarantine doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. Targeted restrictions on flights from areas with sustained community spread is fine, but otherwise, it doesn’t follow any sound reasoning (unless you are actually sealing the borders and impose a mandatory quarantine, which is a whole other story altogether and would stop me going somewhere anyway). When I entered Bahrain at the start of this, they went through every stamp on my passport for about 10 minutes, checked exactly where I had been and asked me questions. Anyone coming from Iran or Italy (or had been there in the last two weeks) was not allowed through. Slowed down the immigration process, but not too much. 

13 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The point that masks should’ve been compulsory was when Boris said if you can’t work from home go back to work...As more things open up they become correspondingly beneficial.

Spot on!

it’s still not too late though.

15 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I was thinking about this the other day. Based on the average wage in the country, anyone who has been furloughed for 3 months on 80% salary has been given £7000 by the government. They will definitely be wanting that money back. Are we going to expect significant tax rises over the next few years? 

Rishi Sunak said that the Govt will need to be 'creative' in its response to the coming recession One Tory MP said that when asked about whether taxes will be cut he kept his counsel but smiled
10:25 PM · Jun 10, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

1 minute ago, Toilet Duck said:

Spot on!

it’s still not too late though.

I do wonder if a shop would loose custom  or actually gain it by taking a lead on this ... safer shops mean more customers ... might piss off the ignorant but they would soon return ...

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I do wonder if a shop would loose custom  or actually gain it by taking a lead on this ... safer shops mean more customers ... might piss off the ignorant but they would soon return ...

I think anywhere that can promote itself as being safer will benefit from it. We are putting our measures in place so we can promote a COVID-free campus, it’s top of the list for prospective students and their parents as we have talked to them over the last few months. Seems like a no-brainer to me to be honest. If businesses are allowed the option of having masks mandatory for entry but allowing more people in, vs less people with no masks, watch how quickly entry policy changes!