When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

8 hours ago, Mackem said:

Thanks for this. I stopped watching the BBC News after their weakness over Cummingsgate and the slap down they gave Emily Maitlis and have Sky News on most of the time. Maybe time to switch back though if it's looking like they've belatedly grown some balls. Beth Rigby's analysis of PMQs was poor: she thought it was about evens. I don't know what she thought Johnson had offered to balance Starmer's line - delivered after saying our death toll was one of the highest in the world -  'last week the PM said he was proud of the government's record. But there's no pride in those figures ... is there?' Both of the last 2 PMQs Johnson's offered nothing but bluster and defensiveness. He's just not up the job of debating with a QC and I expect Starmer to get more and more on top of him as the weeks go by.

I agree. He thought he had a right zinger as well for mocking Starmer for being a lawyer and going from different case to case. That’s what lawyers do. His handling of schools is awful, I don’t know a huge about the possible ramifications but from what I’ve heard it could be quite big for some children. 

Can't believe I had thought Glastonbury might have still happened,  blind optimism, looking forward to marking the weekend with cider and have just bought the new poster.

Rammstein and Sam Fender tickets both rescheduled for next year, Sam had originally scheduled new dates for September but must have realised to soon, I have written off live music in 2020 now with a hope 2021 is going to be fantastic for it.

Also Had my antibody test to confirm I did have the virus at some point, not in a risky category so it wasn't to bad for me but not pleasant.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Earth_pig said:

Can't believe I had thought Glastonbury might have still happened,  blind optimism, looking forward to marking the weekend with cider and have just bought the new poster.

Rammstein and Sam Fender tickets both rescheduled for next year, Sam had originally scheduled new dates for September but must have realised to soon, I have written off live music in 2020 now with a hope 2021 is going to be fantastic for it.

Also Had my antibody test to confirm I did have the virus at some point, not in a risky category so it wasn't to bad for me but not pleasant.

Heart for glad you got through it .... I’m going to have some bloods done this week for hospital and I believe you can also ask for antibody test ... so obviously I will as I’m curious as to why blood sugar shot up for a while 

11 minutes ago, Earth_pig said:

Glad you recovered and it wasn’t too bad!

15 minutes ago, Earth_pig said:

Glad to hear nothing serious came of it. May I ask how you managed to get a test? 

John Ashworth making some good points on BBC about schools. Using community centres, empty theatres etc. as pop up class rooms, querying why there hasn't been a similar programme to the nightingale hospitals and ministers promising tablets and laptops to kids without access but hasn't been done.

Also what about using equipment from all the festivals that are cancelled? Most schools have some sort of field/play area. Can you not set up big tents and stuff?

Seems to me like the Tories aren't exactly arsed about the underfunded public schools and are happy to leave rich private schools using their vast wealth to their advantage. Convenient way of further extended the divide.

6 minutes ago, Chef said:

Glad to hear nothing serious came of it. May I ask how you managed to get a test? 

One way I think is if you need to have bloods taken ... I believe it should be offered , if not just ask ... I’m trying this out hopefully later this week 

10 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Seems like when, and not if, for the govt to change the 2 metre rule to 1 metre. I reckon by 4th July to boost the third phase of reopening. 

BBC painting it as ministers are nagging Boris to change the rule. Boris clearly agrees and WILL change it, he's just holding off to make it look like he agonised over the decision...

11 minutes ago, jparx said:

BBC painting it as ministers are nagging Boris to change the rule. Boris clearly agrees and WILL change it, he's just holding off to make it look like he agonised over the decision...

my thinking is that why they didn't announce pubs opening 22nd june as previously touted. They'll reduce to 1 metre at the same time as announcing pubs/restaurants reopening. 

23 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

One way I think is if you need to have bloods taken ... I believe it should be offered , if not just ask ... I’m trying this out hopefully later this week 

Ah I see, makes sense. Didn't think you could just decide to put yourself forward for one yet, unless I had missed the announcement. 

Just now, Chef said:

Ah I see, makes sense. Didn't think you could just decide to put yourself forward for one yet, unless I had missed the announcement. 

No I’ve not seen that either ... but I was going to ask them for my bloods to be taken this week as I’m entitled to quarterly as part of my diabetes care ... coincidentally I got a hospital appointment  letter this week so I can use that as the basis 

36 minutes ago, jparx said:

John Ashworth making some good points on BBC about schools. Using community centres, empty theatres etc. as pop up class rooms, querying why there hasn't been a similar programme to the nightingale hospitals and ministers promising tablets and laptops to kids without access but hasn't been done.

Also what about using equipment from all the festivals that are cancelled? Most schools have some sort of field/play area. Can you not set up big tents and stuff?

Seems to me like the Tories aren't exactly arsed about the underfunded public schools and are happy to leave rich private schools using their vast wealth to their advantage. Convenient way of further extended the divide.

Great idea....but how do you double/triple the amount of teachers available to teach all these smaller classes - class sizes now max 15 - but realistically between 8-10.

Why rush more than all other developed nations - keep Y6/Y1 as per until end of the year. 1m looking likely from July so possibly reduced further by September. 

Politicians/Media playing politics is making things rush were they do not necessarily need too

54 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Heart for glad you got through it .... I’m going to have some bloods done this week for hospital and I believe you can also ask for antibody test ... so obviously I will as I’m curious as to why blood sugar shot up for a while 

I’m getting another MRI next week, will be having a cannula put in for that so might ask if they can take blood for an antibody test at the same time. 

13 minutes ago, phimill said:

Great idea....but how do you double/triple the amount of teachers available to teach all these smaller classes - class sizes now max 15 - but realistically between 8-10.

Why rush more than all other developed nations - keep Y6/Y1 as per until end of the year. 1m looking likely from July so possibly reduced further by September. 

Politicians/Media playing politics is making things rush were they do not necessarily need too

The issue is private schools having more funds to put provisions in to bring back more students. Public schools will fall behind unless there's some proactive thinking here.

And just a thought on the tents - if you have a large tent outdoor surely you could have a larger class size? 

12 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’m getting another MRI next week, will be having a cannula put in for that so might ask if they can take blood for an antibody test at the same time. 

it came from my sister whos a diabetes nurse in a surgery so should be accurate and hopefully not done regionally ..... hopefully might be able to help some get some peace of mind at least ... all the best with the MRI and the test 

I personally think if they reduce the distance from 2m to 1m they will have no choice but to make face masks compulsory in all public settings, whether it be shopping centres, theme parks, cinemas, pubs etc. 

Chris Whitty (not that I trust his handling of the outbreak) has already expressed his concerns- he said you are 30x more likely to catch covid at a 1m distance than 2m.

Bear in mind if both people are wearing a face mask transmission rates are reduced to just 3%.

Therefore if they reduce the distancing to 1m I see them have no choice but to make face masks compulsory in all shops and all other hospitality industries (hotels included at check in points, etc).

Therefore I still think they will be reluctant to reduce the distancing, due to National PPE shortages. If face masks literally become compulsory in all public spaces (I am a believer they should be in all indoor areas as the virus spreads more indoors than outdoors) it could risk their PPE supplies. So perhaps the 2m rule will be kept, or compromised to 1.5m.

Edited by FestivalJamie
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I personally think if they reduce the distance from 2m to 1m they will have no choice but to make face masks compulsory in all public settings, whether it be shopping centres, theme parks, cinemas, pubs etc. 

Chris Whitty (not that I trust his handling of the outbreak) has already expressed his concerns- he said you are 30x more likely to catch covid at a 1m distance than 2m.

Bear in mind if both people are wearing a face mask transmission rates are reduced to just 3%.

Therefore if they reduce the distancing to 1m I see them have no choice but to make face masks compulsory in all shops and all other hospitality industries (hotels included at check in points, etc).

Therefore I still think they will be reluctant to reduce the distancing, due to National PPE shortages. If face masks literally become compulsory in all public spaces (I am a believer they should be in all indoor areas as the virus spreads more indoors than outdoors) it could risk their PPE supplies. So perhaps the 2m rule will be kept, or compromised to 1.5m.

I think that should happen anyway, but then reducing it to 1m would also make many more businesses viable especially pubs and restaurants which is a very important consideration.

Patrick Vallance mentioned it yesterday, it’s not just the distance but many other things that are important like whether you’re back to back or not.

You could open up a pub and make it compulsory to wear a mask when moving around, but you could also arrange the tables in such a way that they could be positioned safely without the need to wear a mask while sitting, yet be within 2m of each other. The best of both worlds.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think that should happen anyway, but then reducing it to 1m would also make many more businesses viable specially pubs and restaurants which is a very important consideration.

Patrick Vallance mentioned it yesterday, it’s not just the distance but many other things that are important like whether you’re back to back or not.

You could open up a pub and make it compulsory to wear a mask when moving around, but you could also arrange the tables in such a way that they could be positioned safely without the need to wear a mask while sitting yet be within 2m of each other. The best of both worlds.

Vallance saying it wasnt a hard and fast rule makes me think its already been decided. 

35 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Vallance saying it wasnt a hard and fast rule makes me think its already been decided. 

Basically the reluctance to reduce distancing stems from the meta analysis in the Lancet recently (risks at 2m significantly lower than at 1m...risks at 3m lower than 2m as well, so it is a balance). Same paper though highlights the impact of masks (as Jamie says above)...in essence, the paper suggests a way of dealing with this. 2m where you can, masks where you can’t and together, risk of transmission is reduced a lot. It honestly isn’t that hard. Do this for a couple of months when cases are low, test and trace like crazy and we could be done. Faffing about is what is dragging all this out at this stage. 

1 minute ago, Toilet Duck said:

Basically the reluctance to reduce distancing stems from the meta analysis in the Lancet recently (risks at 2m significantly lower than at 1m...risks at 3m lower than 2m as well, so it is a balance). Same paper though highlights the impact of masks (as Jamie says above)...in essence, the paper suggests a way of dealing with this. 2m where you can, masks where you can’t and together, risk of transmission is reduced a lot. It honestly isn’t that hard. Do this for a couple of months when cases are low, test and trace like crazy and we could be done. Faffing about is what is dragging all this out at this stage. 

By that do you mean the virus could be eradicated?