When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, Sdsm123 said:

It just seems unfair that festivals have been scrapped not just the big g but little ones like 2000 trees yet people are being allowed to meet up in tens of thousands to protest something which happened across the pond, now I am American born and have being upset and shocked by the way things have played out but I just don’t feel that the uk needs to risk hundreds of people dying to protest this. We all stand with George floyd but we can’t let another peak happen as a consequence of these protests. I still think it’s very important to voice our support for the movement but this is not the time to do it on an epic scale. Other ideas like a kneel at your front door on a certain time would be way more appropriate. It’s such a hard call to make. 

They're not protesting something that happened in America. It's far more fundamental than that.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Sdsm123 said:

It just seems unfair that festivals have been scrapped not just the big g but little ones like 2000 trees yet people are being allowed to meet up in tens of thousands to protest something which happened across the pond, now I am American born and have being upset and shocked by the way things have played out but I just don’t feel that the uk needs to risk hundreds of people dying to protest this. We all stand with George floyd but we can’t let another peak happen as a consequence of these protests. I still think it’s very important to voice our support for the movement but this is not the time to do it on an epic scale. Other ideas like a kneel at your front door on a certain time would be way more appropriate. It’s such a hard call to make. 

It’s much more than the event that’s causes this in the US. I believe this is about systemic racism in this country and around the world. The death of George Floyd was the one very big part that has been the trigger. Glastonbury is a very important event for us and many others but allowing festivals to go ahead is different to a democratic protest against racism. 

Edited by Ozanne
  • Upvote 1

There are other ways to show support. Online protests and petitions . Something of the ilk of clap for Carers every night or everyone turning off their electricity for an hour in line with the pause for thought protest.
Crowds of thousands during a pandemic is not the best way to do it.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

So why are you referring to the protests as if they're about events in America rather than the daily experience of black people here too? What's the source of the catalyst got to do with anything?

Of course catalysts are important. Why do people still talk about Rosa Parks? 
These protests didn’t happen before the event so of course it has something to do with it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Guys!!

It’s happening!

I'm not getting too excited. There is so long before an election - I'm pretty certain this is the right wing newspapers warning the government they aren't untouchable. The Mail etc going at them is surely just to pressure them to ease lockdown? They surely don't actually want a Labour government even if it is more sensible than the Corbyn lot?

If the usual Tory rags hadn't started putting doubt in people's minds and instead carried on defending them, these numbers wouldn't be happening.

They've got years to lie their way back 

Edited by efcfanwirral

2 hours ago, Dave85radiohead said:

I think that these protests probably will lead to an increase in the R number.  The scenes in Manchester were shocking.

If the lockdown isn’t going to be enforced and observed properly then perhaps it just needs to be scrapped and people just face the consequences. 

2 hours ago, Sdsm123 said:

Where have you guys been? This lockdown has never been properly enforced and certainly not for the past month or so.

2 hours ago, Dave85radiohead said:

There are other ways to show support. Online protests and petitions . Something of the ilk of clap for Carers every night or everyone turning off their electricity for an hour in line with the pause for thought protest.
Crowds of thousands during a pandemic is not the best way to do it.

Thanks at least someone seems to understand

4 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

It’s a worthy cause and it’s good we’re showing support but it makes a mockery of the government plans for dealing with the virus. What’s the point of making us wear masks on public transport in 2 weeks when scenes like this are happening all over the country. 

I’ve seen similar videos from Newcastle and the vast majority of the crowd aren’t wearing masks. 

The governments policy seems to be more of a case of showing that they’re doing something rather than actually doing something that’s actually effective. 

Maybe it’s time to abandon this joke of a lockdown, concentrate on getting the country moving and provide support for those who need it. If more people could go back to work then there’s less strain on the employers who can then afford to keep their more vulnerable staff on furlough. 

I guess that's part of the fear of it. I saw stories that one of the first waves in Spain came from twin political events in Madrid on the same day - one being a liberal march for International Women's Day, one being a rally for the far-right Vox party.

I respect the protests and I kinda get that some people think the risk is worth it. But equally, I'm aware of concerns. I guess that's what made me feel wary of attending one that happened near to me, although photos I saw suggested most (maybe all) people were wearing masks and maintained distance. Though a socially distant protest is difficult.

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

So why are you referring to the protests as if they're about events in America rather than the daily experience of black people here too? What's the source of the catalyst got to do with anything?

Whilst you have a fair point 2 weeks ago I expect you were much like me. I would have absolute confidence in saying I was not racist, but I wasn’t openly saying black lives matter and the discrimination was not at the forefront of my thinking. Recent events have been a massive kick up to arse - some others will take a bit longer to get there.

4 minutes ago, Northtim said:

Whilst you have a fair point 2 weeks ago I expect you were much like me. I would have absolute confidence in saying I was not racist, but I wasn’t openly saying black lives matter and the discrimination was not at the forefront of my thinking. Recent events have been a massive kick up to arse - some others will take a bit longer to get there.

How far does it go though? Yes Black Lives matter. And I have always supported these events. But because I disagree with these protests (or rather more correctly I disagree with any form of mass gatherings which could extend our lockdown and delay a return to normality) I am being called a racist?

I watched the local ones here on some videos on social media and there was absolutely no social distancing, it was just like a giant party with all friends meeting up drinking and dancing to music. Some wearing masks. Most had their masks down all laughing and dancing filming on their phones not even there for the real meaning behind it. Made me angry to watch - because these are the same people who won't send their kids to school and were moaning about the anti-lockdown protests the other week which thankfully never happened.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sdsm123 said:

Do we think all these black lives matters protests will be used as a weapon for the government to deflect responsibility for a second wave or a rising in the r number. I’m saying that as a Tory boy I just think they are not stopping them to add another line of blame to their arsenal of fuck ups?

Yes. I have absolutely no doubt. The Government wants rid of the Lockdown, they just don’t want to be blamed for what happens.

• Upvote 1