When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, Homer said:

Did anyone watch the briefing yesterday? Just seen a clip of Johnson waffling on about wanting Italians back. Any context as to why he's specifically asking for Italians?!

It was an Italian reporter who had specifically asked him about Italians (who work in the U.K) who had left the U.K. and could they now return. 

3 minutes ago, Homer said:

Did anyone watch the briefing yesterday? Just seen a clip of Johnson waffling on about wanting Italians back. Any context as to why he's specifically asking for Italians?!

He clearly loves cannoli.

4 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It was an Italian reporter who had specifically asked him about Italians (who work in the U.K) who had left the U.K. and could they now return. 

Oh great, thanks. So the wider point being that he is generally welcoming Europeans back in (which seems a tad weird considering recent events!).

7 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It was an Italian reporter 

from what was said it looks like the govt has opened up the press conferences to an overseas press pool, rather than just have questions from UK journos.

8 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Missed this the other day. Not a surprise really 

My retired nurse friend said... and My NHS friend and paramedic neighbour have been told...?

I know the reporter acknowledges its anecdotal, but come on.

Unless we’re being lied to, the Daily infection rate is still dropping slowly but steadily and the R is still below 1. There really is no evidence to this other than a load of she said he said tittle tattle. Irresponsible reporting if you ask me.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

9 minutes ago, Homer said:

Agreed. I was tempted to cycle into town on Sat and support the protest but thought social distancing would be a nightmare, even if I stayed to the fringes. Those images don't encourage me to attend any time soon.

Feeling the same. I feel really bad for not going to support and usually I would. But the social distancing or lack of makes me really nervous. Not a criticism on those protesting, I think it's really important and understand why they are. Far more worth taking a risk for than a day at the bloody beach.

This Sharma thing is interesting. If he does have it, which seems likely, and they don't force a load of MPs and civil servants to self-isolate to me that's as bad as Cummings in demonstrating one rule for us and one for them. Would undermine track and trace even more if that's possible.

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

My retired nurse friend said... and My NHS friend and paramedic neighbour have been told...?

I know the reporter acknowledges its anecdotal, but come on.

'told', or 'heard'?

I'm thinking it might just be well-believed gossip that's going around the staff?

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I wonder if they would go so far as to lie and say he doesn't have it when he does. Honestly wouldn't be surprised.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Brandon Lewis the NI Sec has said it could be severe hay fever. Bollocks. I have severe hay fever but I don’t sweat buckets like he was.

Clearly this government are lying to us either by not giving us the full picture in certain matters, by fiddling figures or just out and out lying. 

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

This Sharma thing is interesting. 

he was displaying symptoms to the world from within the HoC.

Which bit of "if you have symptoms, isolate" do you reckon he was having difficulty understanding?

46 minutes ago, sisco said:

I’m probably in the minority here but seeing all the beaches packed, ridiculous queue in places such as IKEA and the protests in London etc... that I’m starting to just think the country may as well be opened up.  Due to the lax rules there is no way in turning this around and stopping all of the above happening now.  Plus add to that the shops will all be opening next week too. 

May as well just have run Glastonbury and whatever other festival with extra hand sanitiser and followed the rest of the country! 

(having a down and very frustrated morning)

It will certainly be interesting to see the impact of such large gatherings, especially in the US.  

Preparing for a second wave is surely the norm in this circumstance, especially as the lockdown is easing.

In fact, it would be massively irresponsible and damaging for hospitals to not be planning for it at this stage wouldn’t it? Personally I would be more concerned if they weren’t planning for this. 

Edited by st dan

1 hour ago, sisco said:

I’m probably in the minority here but seeing all the beaches packed, ridiculous queue in places such as IKEA and the protests in London etc... that I’m starting to just think the country may as well be opened up.  Due to the lax rules there is no way in turning this around and stopping all of the above happening now.  Plus add to that the shops will all be opening next week too. 

May as well just have run Glastonbury and whatever other festival with extra hand sanitiser and followed the rest of the country! 

(having a down and very frustrated morning)

This is where we will be in the biggest shit though. Something like Glastonbury will be the last to come back even when other things such as nonessential shops are allowed to open. It’s going to be a few months yet before mass gatherings will even be considered.

I think there’s a big chance (sorry) that lockdown will ease but a ban on mass gatherings will remain in place. Thus putting the 2021 fest in a bit of a stick.

5 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah no way that was hayfever. It wasn't even that hot yesterday to be sweating like that. Selfish prick.

They will do anything to manipulate the narrative to suit their own goals. They are putting lives directly in danger at the HoC.

10 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

They will do anything to manipulate the narrative to suit their own goals. They are putting lives directly in danger at the HoC.

I bet JRM is fuming at Sharma. That footage of him wiping sweat off his brow was not a good look. I feel like there needs to be an independent group that decides if MPs can return. I don't see how that decision should be proposed by JRM and voted through by a party that clearly is desperate for it to happen. It's a total farce. 

30 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

It will certainly be interesting to see the impact of such large gatherings, especially in the US.  

there were supposedly some spikes in infections around the anti-lockdown protests in the USA - and they were a lot better socially distanced than the BLM protests.

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

I bet JRM is fuming at Sharma. That footage of him wiping sweat off his brow was not a good look. I feel like there needs to be an independent group that decides if MPs can return. I don't see how that decision should be proposed by JRM and voted through by a party that clearly is desperate for it to happen. It's a total farce. 

I'm no fan of Mogg, but I reckon having someone from the party of govt in charge of HoC rules (subject to an MPs vote) is probably the best way of doing it. It would be madness to have a non-party-of-govt fucking around with the rules.

Where it's gone wrong here is by brainless support from tory MPs. 

Edited by Neil

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

I'm no fan of Mogg, but I reckon having someone from the party of govt in charge of HoC rules (subject to an MPs vote) is probably the best way of doing it. It would be madness to have a non-party-of-govt fucking around with the rules.

Where it's gone wrong here is by brainless support from tory MPs. 

Did you see the video of Steve Baker morning about it? And then he voted for it.

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

The silliest part is that it didn't even help Boris much yesterday anyway.

Delighted to see any kind of egg on Mogg's face though.

Yep, I didn't know all the details of the vote (gave myself that night off), and when I switched on PMQs it looked exactly the same as normal to my untrained eye.

40 minutes ago, st dan said:

Preparing for a second wave is surely the norm in this circumstance, especially as the lockdown is easing.

In fact, it would be massively irresponsible and damaging for hospitals to not be planning for it at this stage wouldn’t it? Personally I would be more concerned if they weren’t planning for this. 

Yep. We (nhs) are preparing but not specifically cos its july second wave but its cos its what we always do. Prepare for any eventualities and hope they arent needed.

14 minutes ago, jparx said:

Has the potential to spectacularly blow up in JRM's face. The whole point was to try and pretend it was perfectly safe for schools to open and for people to go back to work (I don't think it was really about giving BJ some whoopers), if Sharma does indeed have COVID-19, it will simply (and very publicly) confirm the fear of those they were trying to convince 

Edited by Mr.Tease

1 minute ago, Homer said:

Yep, I didn't know all the details of the vote (gave myself that night off), and when I switched on PMQs it looked exactly the same as normal to my untrained eye.

Yeah actually thinking about it, it wouldn't have affected PMQs anyway as it was just for votes. So even more pointless.