When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

52 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

Completely agree. Also what about acts/staff/stalls. 

Festivals either go ahead as close to normal as possible, or not at all in my opinion. 

But that might mean not at all. And most festival organisations won't survive two years with no festival. So we're not just talking a couple of years off, but potentially a good five years past that until the industry properly recovers. If it ever does at all, at least to the level it used to be.

38 minutes ago, Homer said:

I know what you mean - it was all the rage a few months ago too! It's like the Babylon Zoo of pandemics; could prob have benefited from a stronger long term marketing strategy.

Actually, that works really well as an analogy.  It had lots of interest when it was moving quickly, then once it slowed down, people got bored.

Incidentally, is that the single most disappointing moment in TOTP history when that cool song started, then a DJ put his hand on the deck and slowed it right down to that awful dirge? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

But that might mean not at all. And most festival organisations won't survive two years with no festival. So we're not just talking a couple of years off, but potentially a good five years past that until the industry properly recovers. If it ever does at all, at least to the level it used to be.

Yeah, I think it’s sensible for the industry to look at different options that may have some obvious drawbacks, over just sitting on their hands and hoping for the best. 

4 hours ago, Neil said:

3 hours ago, Neil said:

Hi Neil. Do you have a copy of these, both links seem to have been taken down. I wonder if someone at no. 10 is not happy and has intervened. Full capacity may be a lot lower than what has been assumed......

24 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Incidentally, is that the single most disappointing moment in TOTP history when that cool song started, then a DJ put his hand on the deck and slowed it right down to that awful dirge? 

I remember that. I do have a 12" white label of it and it is just the cool stuff from the advert. Once the single came out I thought WTF have they done

15 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

One thing that has to happen is that Scotland must move back to voting labour.  We used to return over 40 MPs, essential in giving the labour parties of the past a decent working majority. Something I’ve been working for all my life. Hopefully Starmer can reconnect with Scotland.  As for getting more right wing as you get older, not me ! 

Can’t quite remember where I saw the analysis but pretty sure when you look at numbers etc the Scottish mps didn't change the overall winner and the majorities that were achieved were still reasonable. 

34 minutes ago, chuckles07 said:

Hi Neil. Do you have a copy of these, both links seem to have been taken down. I wonder if someone at no. 10 is not happy and has intervened. Full capacity may be a lot lower than what has been assumed......

It's really strange, searching for references to it, three news sites reporting it now seem to have taken the articles down, I can only see it reported at efests and two other places now. 

1 hour ago, jparx said:

Sorry for the third consecutive post, but just finished up Keir's questions. Christ. I think that's the worst I've ever seen Boris come across. He's a spoilt little child.

Edit; Daily Mail even admitting Boris was rattled: "The gloves are (finally) off: Keir Starmer rattles Boris Johnson over COVID-19 BAME deaths, track and trace failures and schools as the coronavrus political cease-fire comes to an explosive end"

Absolutely. Boris is floundering badly and being found out. 

8 minutes ago, semmtexx said:

Can’t quite remember where I saw the analysis but pretty sure when you look at numbers etc the Scottish mps didn't change the overall winner and the majorities that were achieved were still reasonable. 

If every one of the 46 SNP MPS was replaced by a Labour MP, the tory majority would be erm 80. If the 6 Scottish Tory MPs were replaced by Labour MPs then the Tory majority would be 68. The fact that Scotland has only one Scottish MP is a huge embarrassment to Labour and would need to change if they are to have an overall single party majority or even be the largest party in a split parliament, however the Tory majority in 2019 was due to the defection of the labour vote in the Midlands and North of England.

Brexit and the tactics of the Brexit Party was a major influence, but it would be wrong of Labour to assume that the voters will return, that was the mistake they made in Scotland assuming that the SNP vote was a protest vote against Blair/Brown back in 2010.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, semmtexx said:

It was infuriating listening to this line during the 2014 Referendum when the Government of the day, the coalition would have been a Tory majority if you removed the Scottish seats.

OK so this isn't my research but it does suggest what I said was (sort of!) correct. 

Don't deny that Labour need to get their act together and get Scottish voters back on side though. 

1945 Labour govt (Attlee)

————————————

Labour majority: 146

Labour majority without any Scottish MPs in Parliament: 143

NO CHANGE WITHOUT SCOTTISH MPS

1950 Labour govt (Attlee)

————————————

Labour majority: 5

Without Scottish MPs: 2

NO CHANGE

1951 Conservative govt (Churchill/Eden)

——————————————————–

Conservative majority: 17

Without Scottish MPs: 16

NO CHANGE

1955 Conservative govt (Eden/Macmillan)

——————————————————–

Conservative majority: 60

Without Scottish MPs: 61

NO CHANGE

1959 Conservative govt (Macmillan/Douglas-Home)

————————————————————————

Conservative majority: 100

Without Scottish MPs: 109

NO CHANGE

1964 Labour govt (Wilson)

————————————

Labour majority: 4

Without Scottish MPs: -11

CHANGE: LABOUR MAJORITY TO CONSERVATIVE MAJORITY OF 1

(Con 280, Lab 274, Lib 5)

1966 Labour govt (Wilson)

————————————

Labour majority: 98

Without Scottish MPs: 77

NO CHANGE

1970 Conservative govt (Heath)

——————————————–

Conservative majority: 30

Without Scottish MPs: 55

NO CHANGE

1974 Minority Labour govt (Wilson)

————————————————

Labour majority: -33

Without Scottish MPs: -42

POSSIBLE CHANGE – LABOUR MINORITY TO CONSERVATIVE MINORITY

(Without Scots: Con 276, Lab 261, Lib 11, Others 16)

1974b Labour govt (Wilson/Callaghan)

—————————————————–

Labour majority: 3

Without Scottish MPs: -8

CHANGE: LABOUR MAJORITY TO LABOUR MINORITY

(Lab 278 Con 261 Lib 10 others 15)

1979 Conservative govt (Thatcher)

————————————————

Conservative majority: 43

Without Scottish MPs: 70

NO CHANGE

1983 Conservative govt (Thatcher)