When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

I think the problem at the moment is the working class now vote the tories in. I’m not sure how much this rich voters swinging the majority argument works anymore. Arguably the richest section of the middle class in this country - the “London elite” should we say, are labour as fuck.

Edited by Matt42

I echo those comments above, I’m a home owner and have a decent job at a bank; Tory polices should appeal financially for me. But they don’t. I want a fairer society, I want even distribution of wealth, food banks abolished, renationalised rail and water. I want a government that looks out for workers rights, not gives lip service to them and will also welcome in migrants ideally with open borders. 

13 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think the problem at the moment is the working class now vote the tories in. I’m not sure how much this rich voters swinging the majority argument works anymore. Arguably the richest section of the middle class in this country - the “London elite” should we say, are labour as fuck.

You are right, it’s kind of my point above, they tricked people into believing that they are for them. It’s the quote, ‘The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist’. That’s what the Tories do. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

An awful lot of people have not changed their views in over 50 years. There are so many people out there who don’t use social media at all, and if they did I reckon their views would horrify most of the liberal generation. I genuinely think most white supremacist narrative / systematic racism has been existing like this unchanged for decades - the problem is a lot of people have virtually no exposure to it and don’t know it when they see it.

I can think of at least a couple of acquaintances, both of whom I used to consider extremely reasonable people, who have slowly gone down the right wing/conspirasphere rabbit hole over the years.

46 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Sadly so. I’m going the other way, as I get older I seem to hate the Tories more and more. 

Ditto.

35 minutes ago, jparx said:

...but I can't fathom turning selfish enough to vote for a party that disadvantages so many people.

Or whos policies kill people (see roll out of UC and PIP schemes). 

18 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I still believe a lot of the people voting Tory do it because Labour are the ones who “let all the foreigners in”. Whilst finances undoubtedly comes into every Tory voter I okie (not that many I admit) did so because “Labour will just let anyone in to claim benefits”.

Or they believe the tory narrative that Labour were the cause of the global recession.

(and the numbers of "foreigners" turning up on the Kent coast has actually shot up since the tories have been in power, but no, that's still the fault of the last labour government or the EU of course).

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

You are right, it’s kind of my point above, they tricked people into believing that they are for them. It’s the quote, ‘The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist’. That’s what the Tories do. 

My interpretation is that they have capitalised on the working class concerns of labour broadening it’s core base from the working class to a party in favour of social justice.

The best way I can understand it is they have convinced their traditional base that labour now stands for social justice issues and not working class issues anymore. That labour no longer care about their grass roots and only care about the interests of “non native” british cultures.

This is merely an interpretation of what’s going on, I’m not lending support to this argument - I’m just identifying what the right wing parties in the U.K. have tapped into and how they have pulled it off. They don’t think that labours policies will benefit them, instead benefitting people who are (by their understanding) “not british”.

Edited by Matt42

2 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

I’m sure I saw an image after the election that Labour had a huge majority in the 18-30 and 31-45 category. It was mainly the 60+ who were giving the Tories their votes. 

There is surely a direct correlation there to the age of people who are reading the papers... 
Couple that with the fact that as a rule they tend to be a lot more xenophobic than the younger generations it nails on their vote going to the Tories.

One thing that has to happen is that Scotland must move back to voting labour.  We used to return over 40 MPs, essential in giving the labour parties of the past a decent working majority. Something I’ve been working for all my life. Hopefully Starmer can reconnect with Scotland.  As for getting more right wing as you get older, not me ! 

Think it was yesterday I mentioned about the press conferences ending ... here is stage 1 ... so that shit is going to end soon ... now they seem unable to get the health advisors onboard 

Edited by crazyfool1

23 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Think it was yesterday I mentioned about the press conferences ending ... here is stage 1 ... so that shit is going to end soon ... now they seem unable to get the health advisors onboard 

‘Low TV ratings’... Is it really about viewing figures?

Just had a thought about vaccines. This is a question for professor @Toilet Duck

Let's say we get this Oxford vaccine in October and it mainly stops the virus from killing those of us that have it, but it doesn't offer full protection and doesn't have much of an impact on infectivity, but still much better than nothing so we get the jab.

Then in, say January, we get access to another vaccine that does stop it properly, kills the viral load everywhere and stops the spread.  How are the different vaccines likely to interact? Will we end up with confused antibodies? Will the efficaciousness of one vaccine be degraded by the other? Or are they more additive and we just have effectively double protection?

In other words, is there any scenario where getting the Oxford vaccine could be a bad move if it stops something much better from working properly soon afterwards?

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I wonder how many watched that shit show cummings press conference - i bet that creep got good ratings.

Of course they want to stop them, now that they have shown everyone how disastrous they have been - whitty and vallance will be relived they dont have to stand awkwardly next to that twirp much longer.

So apparently Boris wasn’t aware he was supposed to be in charge of lifting the lockdown. 

It’s a joke, so now they absolve Boris of all blame because he wasn’t in actual charge when he was all along. They are shameless and will do anything to save Boris’ declining poll ratings.

Edited by Ozanne
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

So apparently Boris wasn’t aware he was supposed to be in charge of lifting the lockdown. 

It’s a joke, so now they absolve Boris of all blame because he wasn’t in actual charge when he was all along. They are shameless and will do anything to save Boris’ declining poll ratings.

Jesus!

12 minutes ago, deepkittycaz said:

I worry that plans like this will encourage people to deliberately try to catch the virus, which isn't desirable surely? 

Happy to get my mind changed on this! 

I don't know how I feel about the idea either, but for different reasons.  What about people who don't use a smart phone, would they not be able to go anywhere?  

On another note, we still seem to be pretty much the only country who is not reporting our recoveries.  Does anyone know why?