When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

possibly councils under pressure with staffing levels at the moment with many still off ... and a return to pre pandemic selfishness levels ... its horrendous seeing peoples levels of selfishness ... I know we are going to get extreme pictures in the press but this does seem to be something thats blighting us ... Those evil sky rats seem like they are in much lower numbers now but a return won't be long ... 

29 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I don’t know if anyone on here has ever gone to Ikea in Wembley but hell is far more preferable.

You couldn’t pay me to go there now, let alone voluntarily join a four hour queue. 

I used to live 5 minute walk from there. It was like entering the 9th circle.

17 minutes ago, Homer said:

Credit where it's due: the govt has certainly helped me greatly with the furlough scheme.

I only got a D in GCSE economics (which was a hell of a result considering how little work I did), but my basic understanding is that this will partly all be paid for by quantative easing (AKA printing more money). When that happens, you usually get inflation. And that usually leads to higher interest rates (feel free to correct me on some/all of this).

In 1920s Germany, people had to get wheelbarrows to take their money out. (Probably apocryphal story that someone once saw a wheelbarrow filled with cash unattended. They tipped all the money out and nicked the wheelbarrow.)

I thought we'd just have long term debt that will be paid off slowly over time...

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

possibly councils under pressure with staffing levels at the moment with many still off ... and a return to pre pandemic selfishness levels ... its horrendous seeing peoples levels of selfishness ... I know we are going to get extreme pictures in the press but this does seem to be something thats blighting us ... Those evil sky rats seem like they are in much lower numbers now but a return won't be long ... 

This has to be the ultimate example of selfishness. Unbelievable interview with this paddleboarder on the BBC earlier who saved a couple of the tombstoners from drowning. He almost drowned getting the last one off the seabed (he thought it was a corpse) and seemed pretty traumatised. The ones who got in trouble actually dived in side on, thinking the water would be soft (imagine doing a bellyflop from that height!). He said, despite all this, people carried on tombstoning the next day.

https://newsnetdaily.com/durdle-door-tombstoner-rescuer-feared-he-would-drown/

32 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Do we have any economists amongst us?

I'm curious as to why we are going to be in such dire straits post this.

I've found myself with more money in my pocket even though I'm furloughed due to not physically being able to go out and spend it. I'd have thought this would be the case for lots of others too?

Given this surely people will have more money to splurge once this is over with and in turn kick start the economy again.

some parts of the economy will be ok, some parts will be totally screwed. Some people, like yourself,  will have been able to save money, some people will lose jobs and will struggle tp find another one. If we're not careful we'll end up with an even more unequal society than we have now.

4 minutes ago, Homer said:

This has to be the ultimate example of selfishness. Unbelievable interview with this paddleboarder on the BBC earlier who saved a couple of the tombstoners from drowning. He almost drowned getting the last one off the seabed (he thought it was a corpse) and seemed pretty traumatised. The ones who got in trouble actually dived in side on, thinking the water would be soft (imagine doing a bellyflop from that height!). He said, despite all this, people carried on tombstoning the next day.

yep for sure ... all this stuff to keep the nhs from getting overwhelmed and we return to this for adreniline rushes ... I can almost work out why people have their reasons for getting back to beaches ( no reason not to based on advise ) but definitely not for me ... I would still be wanting to steer clear of hospitals where possible 

1 hour ago, Toilet Duck said:

Hi Nobby, yes, our case numbers are actual cases, not projected cases (I did see 8000 per day quoted somewhere for the UK and was confused as I thought it was closer to 2k and holding firm). If all of those are in high risk settings and not as a result of community transmission, then testing and contact tracing can (in theory) contain them. I was a little shocked at the level of training contact tracers in the UK were reported to have received (about 30 mins, a FAQ, a script and an instruction to look at videos on YouTube), whereas my own institution has trained about half of the contact tracers in Ireland and it was a week of face-to-face (socially distanced!) training. But whether that is actually the case or whether this was for extra bodies to bolster the system was not entirely clear from the reporting. I’m sure there must be some properly trained folk involved at some level. 

From the reports and accounts I've read, it very much reminds me of the "training" I get at work. Useless, does absolutely nothing to help me at work, or improve things for the customer in any way, but what it does do is pass the buck to me so if anything ever goes wrong my employer can always say "well we provided them with training". Which is one thing in a hospitality job, a bit more worrying for contact tracers though

52 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I've found myself with more money in my pocket even though I'm furloughed due to not physically being able to go out and spend it. I'd have thought this would be the case for lots of others too?

Given this surely people will have more money to splurge once this is over with and in turn kick start the economy again.

Not an economist and I really hope you're right that we get some sort of boom! But although some people may have more money in their pocket, I wonder if the average consumer will be more cautious about spending their disposable income for fear of future uncertainty (e.g. second wave, job safety etc.)

10 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

yep for sure ... all this stuff to keep the nhs from getting overwhelmed and we return to this for adreniline rushes ... I can almost work out why people have their reasons for getting back to beaches ( no reason not to based on advise ) but definitely not for me ... I would still be wanting to steer clear of hospitals where possible 

He said the crowd on the beach was egging the jumpers on too. Unbelievable!

I don't really get the point of travelling all the way to somewhere that is bound to be crowded. I just iust my balcony and local parks.

57 minutes ago, Homer said:

Yep, I went to Crystal Palace park three times over the last two days and each day there were piles of rubbish everywhere. Bad enough at the best of times, but during a pandemic? On one of the occasions there were four of five police halfheartedly trying to disperse large groups.

4A3649C1-4EE0-41B3-AA9D-2ED218AC3481.jpeg

It’s about time they stopped selling these legally online - surely nobody is buying them for the intention they were made for (aren’t they used for whipping cream?!)

Just now, st dan said:

It’s about time they stopped selling these legally online - surely nobody is buying them for the intention they were made for (aren’t they used for whipping cream?!)

I think they are used for air pistols too.

15 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

From the reports and accounts I've read, it very much reminds me of the "training" I get at work. Useless, does absolutely nothing to help me at work, or improve things for the customer in any way, but what it does do is pass the buck to me so if anything ever goes wrong my employer can always say "well we provided them with training". Which is one thing in a hospitality job, a bit more worrying for contact tracers though

I guess that's what we get for accepting everything going to private companies who's only motive is profit. This is just treated as another government contract. 

I also don't think the government believes in contact tracing as a principle as they don't want to be seen as invading people's privacy or interfering in their lives. I post comments about how important it is across various forums and social media and there is always a helpful (usually american) forcefully pointing out what a huge infringement on civil liberties the very idea is, and that's why it won't work. The "it's only for poorer countries" comment doesn't really fill me with confidence that they believe they should be implementing such a system at all. 

5 minutes ago, st dan said:

Wife drove up to London fields in hackney on Saturday to meet a friend for her birthday. Said there was nitrous going off left, right and centre. Also a big screen telling people to ‘stay alert’ (it wasn’t working). 

BD331185-2D60-44A3-AE14-54E8685B4031.jpeg

Frustrates me how this government thinks it can lie, deflect and bore the electorate into submission and that finally people will just forget the big scandal and move on.

I've just done a search for news and not a single outlet is still reporting on Gove getting caught out knocking one out on Friday night.

"2. The government (i.e. all of us) may have to borrow £300 billion for all of this (£300,000,000,000). We have to pay that back, sometime. All extra to what was budgeted for not so long ago. That's I think around £9,000 per taxpayer. Inevitably that's either austerity (Unlikely), a booming economy (Unlikely) or extra taxes. If we can all splugre as well as pay off an average of £9,000 each we're OK. Or we can leave the debt to our children."

We actually don't need to pay this off. Just add it to our long term debt. Govts can print money.

If someone says we need to pay it off they are lying. In fact the absolute worst thing for the economy would be to start paying this off now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Homer said:

Frustrates me how this government thinks it can lie, deflect and bore the electorate into submission and that finally people will just forget the big scandal and move on.

I've just done a search for news and not a single outlet is still reporting on Gove getting caught out knocking one out on Friday night.

I think the biggest scandal is that they appear to be doing this with the virus - i think they want people to just throw their hands up and say they'll take their chances if they're only allowed to do the things they want. And it seems to be working

45 minutes ago, Homer said:

I find this utterly mind boggling, surely you don’t jump from that height unless you’ve proper experience of something similar? Say at the very least from 50ft or 100ft?

Who makes a 200ft jump without really knowing what it’s like based purely on assumptions about what it might be like? 

5 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I find this utterly mind boggling, surely you don’t jump from that height unless you’ve proper experience of something similar? Say at the very least from 50ft or 100ft?

Who makes a 200ft jump without really knowing what it’s like based purely on assumptions about what it might be like? 

Or when other people have just been hospitalised doing the same thing? He said they din't really know what they were doing. He suggested that you should wear a wetsuit (to counter the cold shock) and that one of them kicked his flip flops off just before he jumped.

6 minutes ago, Homer said:

Or when other people have just been hospitalised doing the same thing? He said they din't really know what they were doing. He suggested that you should wear a wetsuit (to counter the cold shock) and that one of them kicked his flip flops off just before he jumped.

Absolute madness, can’t get my head round it. I can only assume they’ve got the same neurological make up as those people’s that hang off the top of skyscrapers with one hand. 

2 hours ago, JoeyT said:

What I will say is im 24 and have friends ranging from 19 - 26ish, We have all mostly been hit quite bad by this. I'm furloughed by the 80 percents of an average wage is hard to live by as I was just copping before, friends and I have had to pay less rent, borrow money from family. So will be worse off and paying back extra debt after this is over and as some have said certain sectors including supermarkets will cut hours after the lockdown is lifted because of lower business/ hiring extra people for lockdown. 

Also some friends have received no support except for ubi, which doesn't cover much. Some friends will have to pay uni fees and rent, because none of that was paused despite this students losing part time jobs and people who would have gone home to parents couldn't because they were paying the room anyway. 

Most people I know dont have savings, Low income jobs don't allow for it and those who did, Savings has largely been depleted due to the virus, - I thought i'd have more money due to not paying for transport to work, but the 20 percent less pay and spending money on trying to find things to do in lockdown. 

the worst case of my friends is a self employed housemate who used to make to the highest income in our house, but was just of doing his first tax in october despite working for nearly a year and got now help from the government and then will stil have to save to pay those taxes despite depleted his savings during lockdown  

a lot of people are gonna be hit harder than this as well. 

That being said I think the economy will bounce back once hospitality is open especially when we have a vaccine, just might be a little late for some.