When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Mr.Tease said:

Note 'People tested' is still 'unavailable'. What a bunch of crooks

It's a joke, the daily tests are the number that would be the highest anyway. They haven't met their target for the 2nd month in a row.

51 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Well my 73 year old, Tory voting (she says every time, but I'm sure she dabbled with Plaid Cymru in the 90s) mother has now declared that she might (only might, lets not get carried away) vote labour next time  because that Labour man seems quite sensible and much better than the shower in charge. 

This is key. Despite the return of ideology to politics, it's still a lot to do with perceived competence. Jeremy just always seemed a bit of a wildcard. If you say all the same stuff, but seem like a middle manager rather than an aged 80s student activist, you can capture far, far votes.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

Has your mum not been offered a test in hospital? My dad had a heart attack last week,  he was tested the day he was admitted into hospital 

She definitely has - and she'll be getting one on the way out, but with incubation periods etc there's always the chance when she comes home

Hope your dad's ok! 

I really hate how they show no humility, no recognition they've made any mistakes. If something they've said a few months back is now wrong, they'll just amend what they say and not even mention it. If they miss their own target they'll just fudge the numbers to make it look like they achieved it. It's borderline criminal what they are doing with public health on the line.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

She definitely has - and she'll be getting one on the way out, but with incubation periods etc there's always the chance when she comes home

Hope your dad's ok! 

Yes he's ok now thankfully, after a 6 day stint in hospital and 2 stents fitted. Wishing your mum a speedy recovery too. Hopefully the risk is small when they've been tested and staff have been suited and booted in all the gear. 

5 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Football without any crowds watching is pretty fuckin weird.

If you want weird check out Wrestlemania - they very much "leaned into" the no crowd thing. Meant they could do special effects.

3 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

Can't blame them, with our infection rates, spectacularly inept handling and forthcoming second surge, we'll pretty much be pariahs for the foreseeable future-- ironic after all these years of anti immigrant rhetoric and sentiment! 

So can Greece prevent UK visitors because of Brexit? Or was that always an option? Just curious really.

8 minutes ago, basicminds said:

So that I am clear, the testing by 30th May was just over 84000, but then suddenly on the last day they got enough to bump up to 200,000?  

Apparently they are saying they have capacity for £40k anti-body tests which means they have capacity for 200k daily tests. It completely ignores that the PM never said capacity to test. he said testing 200k people a day. Therefore they have failed that test and are lying.

19 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I don't know how Jen Harries can say with a straight face that people need to limit their interactions and be sensible when they must know what is happening everywhere. People are not.

She was the one who managed to say we were an “international exemplar in preparedness” when we were running out of PPE, and the one who said testing wasn’t important to our strategy because it was more for developing countries, when we had to abandon testing, so she’s clearly a massive Tory who sold her soul a long time ago. She sung a completely different tune when grilled by MPs so she clearly seems to think her role at the press events is purely government spin and nationalistic clap trap.

10 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

If you want weird check out Wrestlemania - they very much "leaned into" the no crowd thing. Meant they could do special effects.

So can Greece prevent UK visitors because of Brexit? Or was that always an option? Just curious really.

Pretty sure there has always been a clause that EU countries can halt immigration if there’s some sort of emergency, but eurosceptics were happy to pretend the clause didn’t exist so they could pretend we ‘had no control’

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Apparently they are saying they have capacity for £40k anti-body tests which means they have capacity for 200k daily tests. It completely ignores that the PM never said capacity to test. he said testing 200k people a day. Therefore they have failed that test and are lying.

And, as with last time the government hit the 100,000 target by changing definitions, and when they launched a pretend track and trace system A few days ago (that won’t actually work til next month), the bbc news website just runs with the governments declaration as fact.

There a statistics programme on Radio 4 I regularly listen to (boring I know), but the recent analysis they've done on the testing figures is astonishing. Double counting swabs from the same person, counting tests posted, counting tests carried out for research purposes etc...  They're trying to pull the wool over our eyes. 

This is from 2 weeks ago, but they claim that there has never been 100,000 people tested per day, despite the claims.

(From 12:00 here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000j949)

Edited by zero000

100's march in solidarity because "black lives matter", it's a shame they don't think they matter enough to stay away from a large public gathering, BAME people are MORE LIKELY to die as a result of covid. Still if it makes them feel better I suppose it's worth it.

7 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

100's march in solidarity because "black lives matter", it's a shame they don't think they matter enough to stay away from a large public gathering, BAME people are MORE LIKELY to die as a result of covid. Still if it makes them feel better I suppose it's worth it.

Out of interest were you criticising people at the beaches over the last few days and the street parties for VE day?

Edited by Ozanne

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Out of interest were you criticising people at the beaches over the last few days and the street parties for VE day?

Don't think I commented on the beach situation, but it is possible to keep your distance there and it is permitted at the moment, I certainly commented on the VE day parties, they were NOT within the rules but a blind eye was turned, that was wrong. I pointed this particular situation out as it is clearly against the current rules, they are risking spreading the virus and that may well negatively affect black people, particularly in London where there is a large community. It's worth pointing out that this will have zero effect on the situation in America so it's difficult to see any benefit to it.

3 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Don't think I commented on the beach situation, but it is possible to keep your distance there and it is permitted at the moment, I certainly commented on the VE day parties, they were NOT within the rules but a blind eye was turned, that was wrong. I pointed this particular situation out as it is clearly against the current rules, they are risking spreading the virus and that may well negatively affect black people, particularly in London where there is a large community. It's worth pointing out that this will have zero effect on the situation in America so it's difficult to see any benefit to it.

I feel it's best to probably not comment much further, but I don't think either of us are suited to comment on the merits of a protest for the black community (going by your wording I'm assuming you're not that ethnicity).

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I feel it's best to probably not comment much further, but I don't think either of us are suited to comment on the merits of a protest for the black community (going by your wording I'm assuming you're not that ethnicity).

No I'm not and neither are a lot of those protesting, they are the ones I was criticising actually, people jumping on a bandwagon without considering the effects of what they are doing. I'm not saying the subject of the protest is invalid, it's another horrendous case but marching in London won't change anything IMO.

56 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

No I'm not and neither are a lot of those protesting, they are the ones I was criticising actually, people jumping on a bandwagon without considering the effects of what they are doing. I'm not saying the subject of the protest is invalid, it's another horrendous case but marching in London won't change anything IMO.

London is not free of racial inequality you know.