When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Greece has already said they won't accept travellers from the UK. Wouldn't be surprised (or blame them) if other EU countries followed suit.

Can't blame them, with our infection rates, spectacularly inept handling and forthcoming second surge, we'll pretty much be pariahs for the foreseeable future-- ironic after all these years of anti immigrant rhetoric and sentiment! 

So Vallance has written in the telegraph that herd immunity was never and never would be an advocated policy. Shameless stuff! There are interviews of him saying the opposite back when everyone was saying should be locking down (and the government were making out we were so much smarter than any other country for not doing it). 

Sage must be made up of the most inept, government-cowed, bullshitting scientists in the world. Either that or the sole criteria is that you're a tory. They just keep lying! Still haven't forgotten that one who claimed we were an international examplar for preparedness, that suddenly testing no longer mattered because we weren't a developing country, etc etc

They still haven't twigged on that the government set them up as the fall guys from day one! They still spin the government lines! 

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think that’s just quite binary really, there is either capacity within the emergency services or there isn’t, so it all depends where we are in a year’s time. If there is capacity within the NHS then I don’t see what’s unethical about going ahead.

With regards to the football, they are testing about 1000 people twice a week, but it’s been confirmed this has no impact on the NHS. Games will be behind closed doors, so you’d assume policing will be low, or not much more than might be needed to patrol a park during lockdown. Not sure of the need for paramedics with no crowd and only players, I’d assume they’d still need one on standby but the government wouldn’t have given the go ahead if there was no capacity, so again I don’t see it being unethical.

You have more faith in them than I do!

1 minute ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

When do we reckon they'll start allowing people to visit eachother homes? I live far away from all my family so haven't seen any of them in months. Was hoping I'd be able to go visit them this summer...

The way things are going I’d say July is likely 

2 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

When do we reckon they'll start allowing people to visit eachother homes? I live far away from all my family so haven't seen any of them in months. Was hoping I'd be able to go visit them this summer...

At this rate, next week!

I'd think maybe July? Hard to justify not being allowed to if cinemas are opening. 

12 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

They’ll probably announce it at something random like 3am shortly after one of the cabinet has been caught going to his Uncles then claim that’s been the rule all along. 

Edited by Ozanne
  • Upvote 1

So, let’s go back to the question of the thread.

When do we (especially the more scientific minds on here) think this will all end?

I’m hoping we have some sense of normality by September and then by the New Year we get somewhere near to where we were - albeit with increased hygiene measures.

Do you reckon live gigs/theatre shows will happen again in 2020? And will we be able to play a contact sport like outdoors 5-a-side football?

33 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

When do we (especially the more scientific minds on here) think this will all end?

I’m hoping we have some sense of normality by September and then by the New Year we get somewhere near to where we were - albeit with increased hygiene measures.

Do you reckon live gigs/theatre shows will happen again in 2020? And will we be able to play a contact sport like outdoors 5-a-side football?

no one knows.

31 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

I've had September gigs cancelled until Feb so I'd guess it's unlikely. You might get some things happening on a smaller sale in November/December but I think it might be next year before we are back to something resembling normality. 

Well my 73 year old, Tory voting (she says every time, but I'm sure she dabbled with Plaid Cymru in the 90s) mother has now declared that she might (only might, lets not get carried away) vote labour next time  because that Labour man seems quite sensible and much better than the shower in charge. 

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

People already are. Lockdown is totally over for a lot of people.

I’ve told my family I’m not going to make any decisions about this until July.

18 minutes ago, Bisque said:

Tempted to buy Enter Shikari tickets for November but it just isn’t going to happen.

It would help the band and venue even if it gets moved, and it'll only get rescheduled so if you can afford it you might as well take the chance? 

I'm going to do this with 110 Above festival when the 2021 tickets go on sale, helps secure the future of the festival and I intend on being there whenever the next one is if it survives. 

15 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

People already are. Lockdown is totally over for a lot of people.

I’ve told my family I’m not going to make any decisions about this until July.

Yeah my girlfriend's mates are just like "let's meet up next weekend". Which would involve public transport or getting in a car with one person for whom lockdown frankly never happened. As we live with my parents and my Mum will be soon coming home from hospital (non covid but it would not be good for her to get it, that said probably more chance she brings it to us) nothing changes for us

But even without that we both think its insanely early and are despairing at this "back to normal" mentality people have. I get that people can be responsible for their own level of risk, but to be honest I'm not seeing any critical thinking at all- they just think its completely safe because the government has relaxed things 

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

As we live with my parents and my Mum will be soon coming home from hospital (non covid but it would not be good for her to get it, that said probably more chance she brings it to us) 

Has your mum not been offered a test in hospital? My dad had a heart attack last week,  he was tested the day he was admitted into hospital 

16 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

The government just announced they hit their 200,000 tests by the end of May target. On the last day of the month. Again.

Weird how they've been unable to say how many people have been tested the last 9 days... 

Edited by Mr.Tease