When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

54 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Yes, but what do the figures look like adjusted for population, eh? 😉

Good point.

35 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

So we're saying Boris and Trump aren't so bad after all?

Not dictators but it would be interesting to see where they fall on that graph. Especially Obama.

People asking who the labour/other folk that broke rules... this is doing the rounds on the right wing media

"Dominic Cummings is not an mp,and is not as high profile,nor does he have ANY constituents to serve like these 4 muppets.
These 4 MPs....members of parliament,who are supposed to serve and be a shining light to their THOUSANDS of constituents "BROKE LOCKDOWN RULES.
ALI ....WENT ALLEGEDLY TO 2 FUNERALS WITH HUNDREDS OF MOURNERS IN ONE DAY
GETHING (Welsh HEALTH minister)allegedly broke lockdown rules.
Kinnock drove 300 ml round trip to "sit in his parents garden"to sing HAPPY fekin BIRTHDAY.
Blackford allegedly twice went from London to isle if Skye breaking lockdown rules.
No press,no hounding no calls for resignation from labour muppets or media scum....WHY!!!!!"

Image may contain: one or more people and suit

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Numbers of cases literally in the tens per day from the graph on there

Yet we're still reporting hundreds DYING a day and we're doing super well and can even look at opening the pubs quicker....

Edited by efcfanwirral

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Numbers of cases literally in the tens per day from the graph on there

Yet we're still reporting hundreds DYING a day and we're doing super well and can even look at opening the pubs quicker....

S Korea not accepting death by coronavirus like we are.

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I bet he is there thinking. This used to be easier than it is now.

A disease all around the world

a plague of locusts in Africa miles and miles wide

Why are they not taking notice and still worshipping their false Idols

mmmmmm, maybe I could rain down frogs perhaps. Or is it time for another Messiah

1 hour ago, shoptildrop said:

People asking who the labour/other folk that broke rules... this is doing the rounds on the right wing media

"Dominic Cummings is not an mp,and is not as high profile,nor does he have ANY constituents to serve like these 4 muppets.
These 4 MPs....members of parliament,who are supposed to serve and be a shining light to their THOUSANDS of constituents "BROKE LOCKDOWN RULES.
ALI ....WENT ALLEGEDLY TO 2 FUNERALS WITH HUNDREDS OF MOURNERS IN ONE DAY
GETHING (Welsh HEALTH minister)allegedly broke lockdown rules.
Kinnock drove 300 ml round trip to "sit in his parents garden"to sing HAPPY fekin BIRTHDAY.
Blackford allegedly twice went from London to isle if Skye breaking lockdown rules.
No press,no hounding no calls for resignation from labour muppets or media scum....WHY!!!!!"

Image may contain: one or more people and suit

Just to highlight that Blackford is the MP for Ross, Skye & Lochaber. The title kind of gives away the fact that he can travel to Skye. As I highlighted earlier MPs are allowed to travel from their constituency to London as there place of work, regardless of whether it is 20 miles or 800 miles.
It would be easy to highlight that every single MP who has attended the House of Commons and gone back to their constituency, as in the vast majority of cases they claim expenses for their London address as it is their second home. Therefore if it wasn’t allowed they either break the rules on travelling or break the rules on staying at second homes.

12 minutes ago, Cherry Tree said:

Just to highlight that Blackford is the MP for Ross, Skye & Lochaber. The title kind of gives away the fact that he can travel to Skye. As I highlighted earlier MPs are allowed to travel from their constituency to London as there place of work, regardless of whether it is 20 miles or 800 miles.
It would be easy to highlight that every single MP who has attended the House of Commons and gone back to their constituency, as in the vast majority of cases they claim expenses for their London address as it is their second home. Therefore if it wasn’t allowed they either break the rules on travelling or break the rules on staying at second homes.

oh I know, I don't agree with this tbh

They difference is people like Kinnock and Jerrick explained and apologised, which would have probably satisfied the public if Cummings showed any remorse at all... the check my eyesight trip just showed the contempt he has that we show all accept his nonsense (and he's essentially got away with it no due to Boris)

to add I was just showing what folk were sharing, as someone asked the question who are the folk the right are accusing of flouting rules

Edited by shoptildrop

11 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Stolen from another forum I go on but this is superb, at the Oz rugby earlier... I was actually watching the game so gutted I missed it live:

image.jpeg.830cff29953153bfa4d8a5783e91ba48.jpeg

Brilliant, I am also loving some of the others in there

Edited by fred quimby

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Just heard a health expert on the radio heavily warning against barbecues... sadly I think Boris has ensured there will be plenty.

Definitely think he ad libbed that yesterday.

23 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Just heard a health expert on the radio heavily warning against barbecues... sadly I think Boris has ensured there will be plenty.

You could tell he wasn’t supposed to say it as Chris Whitty quickly had reclarify the point. He’s a liability. 

4 hours ago, Chef said:

Apologies if I have missed any talk on this but I have been seen more discussion recently about people being puzzled as to reasons why countries exiting lockdown are not seeing any, or very little, increases in infections. I have copied a link to one such thread from twitter below and I also saw something from scientists in Denmark. Does anyone here who knows more than I (nothing!) such as @Toilet Duckhave any theories on this. Is it just because social distancing and better hygiene measures are helping or is there something more in it related to the virus becoming weaker or the like? 

Hi Chef,

I think there a combination of factors at play (and to be completely honest, everything that follows is a guess, I have no data to support any of it, it's just what I think may be happening).

If you think about it, with suppression, we have moved back to where we were at the beginning of the outbreak. Except that we weren't testing at the rate that we are now (the state of the testing regime may be questionable in some places, but it's certainly an order of magnitude better than it was at the outset). So, I suspect that in most countries that have exited lockdown, levels of infection in the community are significantly lower than they were in the few weeks leading up to lockdown. Hence, we are probably back to where we were in January, with isolated pockets of infection cropping up in different places. The difference between now and then is that we have seen what happens, are taking it a bit more seriously and have far superior testing capacity to contain any hotspots that pop up. It's what we should have been doing in January/February this year but we didn't think it could happen to us (typical eh!). It looks like there is a lot of cases in some places, but I suspect there were far more before we put restrictions in place a couple of months ago, we just weren't looking as hard for them. The seasonality/impact of warmer weather has always been suspected but nobody really knew if it would play out that way. It still may play a role, just can't say for sure yet.

Also, most places that have exited lockdown, still have restrictions on things that have the potential to be super spreading events. Where clusters occur, they are in exactly the places you would predict (meat processing plants, warehouses, care homes, hospitals, clubs etc) where people are in close proximity and under conditions where shedding lots of virus is probable. So, allowing people back out, having social distancing guidelines in place, practicing good hand hygiene and avoiding super-spreading events has the potential to keep this contained and suppressed (and I still think source control with masks where close proximity is unavoidable should be mandatory rather than suggested).

I know people are saying "but we had fewer cases when we locked down", however the key to opening back up again isn't the absolute numbers of cases, it's the trajectory of infections and the rate of hospital admissions (and ICU admissions) that are the triggers, so case numbers can be misleading as we are currently (probably) below where we were when we locked down (since we were testing a lot less back then) and if hospital capacity isn't threatened, then places will open back up again. To give you an example of this in practice, in Ireland, we locked down at 70 ICU admissions. Capacity is about 400 and the projection (based on the trajectory of infections) was that with the 2 weeks it takes from infection to hospital admission, that ICU numbers would double within a week and double again in two weeks...meaning that we would be close to capacity within 2 weeks, so the place needed to shut down. That's exactly what happened, within a week ICU numbers were over 160, within 2 weeks they were at 384. But having closed the country down 2 weeks previously, the didn't go higher than that so capacity was never breached. They opened back up again when ICU admissions dipped below 70 again (so the date for relaxing lockdown got pushed out further a couple of times until this was the case). With 3 weeks between each phase, it's easier to keep an eye on what the infection rate is doing and move to the next phase (or stay where you are/go back should the trajectory of infections start to climb steeply again). The UK is using exactly the same triggers, there is just higher capacity (due to the higher population...per capita it's slightly less, but it's in the same ballpark). So, if infection rates are falling, hospital admission are falling and ICU admissions are below the trigger points, then irrespective of the headline case numbers, opening back up is what will happen....until the triggers are breached again and restrictions have to be reimposed. But, we have more data now on what might drive higher case numbers, so it can be a bit more nuanced than it was first time and hopefully we can avoid full scale lockdown again. 

Sorry, I'm rambling!

Edit: Oh, and the "it plays itself out in 70 days" thing...it does if you do something about it. Nobody has let it rip through their population (even the Swedes), so I suspect it would take longer than 70 days without some kind of public health intervention....and the fatality rates would be just like the models predicted (since nothing that has happened so far has proven the models wrong). 

Edited by Toilet Duck
  • Upvote 8

Thanks @Toilet Duck I’ve been looking at those high numbers of infections and the high numbers of deaths over the last few days and shaking my head about the thought of reopening things ... I’ve been very nervous about returning to work in a few weeks so that’s slight reassurance cheers