When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

54 minutes ago, Peter North said:

Agreed. Wish him well of course, but i think it's time to move on. Would love Tom Ravenscroft in the afternoon.

That would be good. Yeah no ill will of course, the Evening Session was a big part of my childhood, but his show now is so dull and past it.

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

The Spectator is now saying Boris is unfit to lead. You know that left leaning, remainer newspaper...

Isn’t that the paper that Cummings’ wife writes a column for? There must be a deeper agenda here if they are going against one of their own writers?

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

The Spectator is now saying Boris is unfit to lead. You know that left leaning, remainer newspaper...

We saw an example of Cumming's power when Sajid Javid resigned, Boris was quite prepared to let him go rather than go against Cumming's, now Boris has sacrificed a large part of his popularity and all his credibility by backing Cummings against the vast majority of the Britsh people, I can't ever remember a political advisor having such influence, he's clearly running the show, in a supposed democracy that can't go on. 

5 hours ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Honestly I am feeling a bit hysterical right now. I can't believe how reckless, how careless they are being, just because their ratings are in the toilet. I want to shout and scream it from the rooftops to people to keep isolating. 

We're doomed. The country is being actively guided into a second wave and there is nothing I can do to stop that happening.

I was scared when this all began over here but I thought we would just have to hunker down for 3-4 months and then the worst would be over, but right now it feels like the worst is yet to come.

Sorry for doom-mongering. As I said, bit hysterical...

A bit?

• Downvote 14

The new rules effectively make the lockdown unenforceable - you could be travelling anywhere for a socially distanced visit in someone's garden.

Having said that, I don't think it's an awful move. These rules aren't going to allow any businesses to open up that weren't already planning to, which frankly has always been the main problem with our lockdown: not compelling anyone but essential workers not to go to work. 

With the Cummings thing enforcing lockdown became impossible anyway, so we're now into the world of personal responsibility. Do what you consider safe, essentially.

6 minutes ago, Smeble said:

A bit?

Sad to say I am taking the bait. But i really wonder wether you are a troll who makes comments deliberately to hurt people or whether something really bad happened to you and you struggle to empathise with anyone else. If it is the latter I really feel sorry for you and wish you well. Seek help.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

Isn’t that the paper that Cummings’ wife writes a column for? There must be a deeper agenda here if they are going against one of their own writers?

A more "fully open up" leader perhaps? I keep circling back to the "hawks vs doves" stories a few weeks ago. Ridiculously the current leaders are supposedly on the pro saving lives side vs the economy above all else lot 

3 hours ago, EasyUserName said:

I wonder who holds the record for (modern - say past 100 years) deaths whilst being in government.  Easy to be at the top with "clean hands" & equally as easy to get them dirty on the way up.

Mao or Blair.

The main spreads seem to be large indoor gatherings like weddings and within car homes rather than meeting up in a park with a mate (though obviously there isnt a 100% clear link) 

I'd be inclined to say that the odd meet up with mates with distancing outside will be fine.

Surface infections isnt... a massive risk as well from the limited evidence.

Edited by zahidf

Right I watched this programme last night and quite frankly sat open mouthed for most of it!! Came out early 2018 and all the research was back in 2017

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p059y0p1

Highlights

• They had a track and trace app that worked
  • The key take outs from the experiment were "stay at home" and "wash your hands"
  • 2 of the folk involved in the app and data mining are now part of sage
  • Showed the PPE warehouse storage
  • It really showed how quickly the virus spread without doing anything

My fella downloaded it as not on iplayer, if you can find it elsewhere I totally recommend it. What it shows is key people had already done a virus response 2 years ago and all the data of how it can pan out, an app that works, where they issues would be AND some key slogans - it was unreal tbh

Edit found link on youtube 

Edited by shoptildrop

7 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

That’s the one. Maybe some on the right are turning on Boris as he’s perceived as a liability now?

53 minutes ago, Neil said:

so we're leaving lockdown with a much higher death rate than we had when we started lockdown.

We're following the science. :lol: 

It's the scientific principle that allowing us out of lockdown quicker might save dominic Cummings career.

Edited by zahidf

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

That’s the one. Maybe some on the right are turning on Boris as he’s perceived as a liability now?

They're probably thinking Boris is going to tank the party by 2024 at this rate. 

1 hour ago, Neil said:

so we're leaving lockdown with a much higher death rate than we had when we started lockdown.

That's because we now have a world class track and trace system in place, well maybe by the end of next month.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Surely Vallance and Whitty must be tempted to break ranks? They were preaching so much caution yesterday.

6 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Surely Vallance and Whitty must be tempted to break ranks? They were preaching so much caution yesterday.

I don't particularly think they will, but it seemed very clear yesterday there was a divergence in opinion between them and the government. I think that was plain for everyone to see. I think they're both keen to avoid getting involved in politics while this is going on so I don't imagine they will come out and criticise them.

Imagine if Whitty, in particular, did come out though? His approval ratings are through the roof - that could be terminal for the government.