When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

31 minutes ago, cloudbusting said:

On those prick tests, and very anecdotal, but my girlfriend works in clinical trials and through her work I've been tested for antibodies twice. Each time, which were about a week apart, I had a prick test as well as lab based test that required giving about 15ml of blood. Both times, the prick test was positive but the lab test (which the company seems to trust much more) came back negative. The prick and intravenous blood were both taken by a profession, so it wasn't just me messing up that led to the inconsistent results!

Add to this that my gf had a pcr test for the virus itself at the start of lockdown that was positive. She was sent home from work and we self isolated for two weeks, completely symptomless. But she has come back negative on every antibody test she's done. I know in some way we are very lucky to have got the testing we're had, but the inconsistent results just left us even more unsure. The whole thing has been an emotional rollercoaster worse than any weather thread.

Wow that is all a bit concerning. Thanks for sharing.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Brownie30 said:

https://www.ft.com/content/6b4c784e-c259-4ca4-9a82-648ffde71bf0

Devastating report in the FT today. Would urge you to read this. 

Going back to the FT report, there is a site called Euromomo that records certificated deaths in 24 european countries, And then calculate "excess deaths" the information has been supplied by the 24 countries since 2015.  The graphs can be filtered By country and adjusted for timescales. This is european only. The only way I can show the graphs is through a screenshot.

My concern is that England specifically is not showing a trend that matches any of the other countries, with excess deaths still well above normal range up to the middle of May. I think this highlights that lockdown is being relaxed for political rather than science based reasons. For information Wales and NI trend is better than Scotland.

1793FB29-32F5-439C-8B65-61D4AC9D6004.jpeg

59 minutes ago, cloudbusting said:

On those prick tests, and very anecdotal, but my girlfriend works in clinical trials and through her work I've been tested for antibodies twice. Each time, which were about a week apart, I had a prick test as well as lab based test that required giving about 15ml of blood. Both times, the prick test was positive but the lab test (which the company seems to trust much more) came back negative. The prick and intravenous blood were both taken by a profession, so it wasn't just me messing up that led to the inconsistent results!

Add to this that my gf had a pcr test for the virus itself at the start of lockdown that was positive. She was sent home from work and we self isolated for two weeks, completely symptomless. But she has come back negative on every antibody test she's done. I know in some way we are very lucky to have got the testing we're had, but the inconsistent results just left us even more unsure. The whole thing has been an emotional rollercoaster worse than any weather thread.

Some potential evidence on it...

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Cherry Tree said:

Going back to the FT report, there is a site called Euromomo that records certificated deaths in 24 european countries, And then calculate "excess deaths" the information has been supplied by the 24 countries since 2015.  The graphs can be filtered By country and adjusted for timescales. This is european only. The only way I can show the graphs is through a screenshot.

My concern is that England specifically is not showing a trend that matches any of the other countries, with excess deaths still well above normal range up to the middle of May. I think this highlights that lockdown is being relaxed for political rather than science based reasons. For information Wales and NI trend is better than Scotland.

1793FB29-32F5-439C-8B65-61D4AC9D6004.jpeg

I'd be interested in a breakdown of this exact graph in care homes vs rest of population for England. I still have a suspicion this care homes neglect is on purpose for financial reasons, which would explain why they're reopening early - that the threat to the general population is indeed lower now, so in the "other" setting they've hit the numbers but can't say that because of what they're deliberately doing to care homes

This seems to be an old story now, and we have moved on. But I just got a response from my MP on my letter. She is hard core Brexit, but not one of Johnson's team right now. As far as i know she has not gone public per se (although no doubt this will get out). Its a bit weaselly but have to say it did surprise me.

"Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your recent email. I have heard from a large number of constituents, many of whom have discussed their own personal experiences and sacrifices made, as well as that of their family and friends, during lockdown.

Dominic Cummings has explained the events relating to his trip to Durham and why he took the actions he did. Given the many sacrifices people have made during this period, I fully appreciate why you and others take a different view, and feel so strongly about his actions, and I have conveyed that strength of feeling directly to the Prime Minister and other members of the Government.

Whilst the future of Dominic Cummings is a matter for him and the Prime Minister - had I been in the same situation, I would have resigned my position.

Thank you again for your email.

Kind Regards

Esther McVey"

Edited by chuckles07
bold quote

21 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'd be interested in a breakdown of this exact graph in care homes vs rest of population for England. I still have a suspicion this care homes neglect is on purpose for financial reasons, which would explain why they're reopening early - that the threat to the general population is indeed lower now, so in the "other" setting they've hit the numbers but can't say that because of what they're deliberately doing to care homes

Not sure that argument is backed by the graphs, I have snapped the graphs for the 16-64 age group, limited the number of comparison countries to make a smaller attachment.

DFEA5E46-664F-4056-8C04-A4848DEC38B0.png

4 hours ago, zahidf said:

FWIW I think that while it's fine to have an alternative view, calling it 'independent sage' is misleading and potentially confusing. 

I think that the reasoning is fine. Emphases the fact that SAGE is not independent and has been interfered with by having Cummings giving “input”

The Pl tests have been sourced elsewhere so doubt very much they will be included in any numbers ... for me although not important in the scheme of things ... it will be a nice to have and a distraction from all the other negative stuff as long as people are kept safe 

1 hour ago, chuckles07 said:

This seems to be an old story now, and we have moved on. But I just got a response from my MP on my letter. She is hard core Brexit, but not one of Johnson's team right now. As far as i know she has not gone public per se (although no doubt this will get out). Its a bit weaselly but have to say it did surprise me.

"Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your recent email. I have heard from a large number of constituents, many of whom have discussed their own personal experiences and sacrifices made, as well as that of their family and friends, during lockdown.

Dominic Cummings has explained the events relating to his trip to Durham and why he took the actions he did. Given the many sacrifices people have made during this period, I fully appreciate why you and others take a different view, and feel so strongly about his actions, and I have conveyed that strength of feeling directly to the Prime Minister and other members of the Government.

Whilst the future of Dominic Cummings is a matter for him and the Prime Minister - had I been in the same situation, I would have resigned my position.

Thank you again for your email.

Kind Regards

Esther McVey"

Felt like this one has a twist at the end!

I got a reply from my MP, Rupa Huq, but didn't post as she's Labour and so it wasn't particularly surprising. It was very long and she was fuming though!

7 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Felt like this one has a twist at the end!

I got a reply from my MP, Rupa Huq, but didn't post as she's Labour and so it wasn't particularly surprising. It was very long and she was fuming though!

Yeah. She is pretty self focused and typically only does stuff to further her own interests. Which is where I thought the note was going till the last sentence. So my optimistic thought is that she is reading that DC may well be forced out/resign and then she will be seen to have been on the 'right' side of history. But could be bollocks.....I don't really understand Tory MP's. 🙃

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

Just had a thought....are testing numbers including the mass football player and staff testing....? 

No. Their testing system is completely outside of the public health testing.

This is my response from my MP, the Father of the House, Peter Bottomley:

Thank you getting in touch to share your view of the actions of Dominic Cummings.

I am grateful for the many constituents, yourself included, who have made their views clear and I wish you well. It is easy to understand the strength of concern many share over the actions of Dominic Cummings and the Government's reaction. I have not met Dominic before nor would I wish to defend him.

There is quite a volume of correspondence relating to Covid19. We are trying to deal without delay with urgent casework. Responding to you may necessarily have taken longer than usual. For this we ask for your understanding and thank you for your patience.

As a nation, we have taken the necessary actions to reduce the peak and throttle back the transmission of Covid19. We now must work to restore normal life as much as possible whilst remaining vigilant and careful to take the precautions needed to prevent a second wave of illness.

As Member of Parliament, I will continue to do all I can to help those who come to me for assistance.

My team and I do our best to highlight policies that need correcting to the Prime Minister, Chancellor and other responsible Ministers whenever appropriate, to push for fairness for all. I could list a number, mainly in the health field, that were successful. We have had a number of successes.

Many have concerns about the situation with Dominic Cummings, with condemnation of his actions and some with. I appreciate all who have taken the time to write and I wish to assure you your views are taken into consideration. In my life of public service, I do not recall asking for a resignation, regardless of party. It is not my intention to start now. This will disappoint some calling for resignations.

I share sympathy for each household that has been affected directly or indirectly by COVID-19.  The pain of this pandemic has touched us. My doctor daughter volunteered to pause her hospital consultant role to help on the frontline. Friends of ours have died; parents of colleagues have died. None of us are immune to the far reaching effects of this disease.

Some have been forced to make heart-breaking decisions during this lockdown period, with painful separation from loved ones whilst they are at their most vulnerable. We share in gratitude and  understanding that these have been vital to reduce the spread of the virus.

This has been particularly difficult for those who were alone during illness or left to grieve alone at their time of greatest need. Many still face dreadful hardship. They need help. My team and I want you to know that we are ready to do all we can to try to assist you.

We can give a general thanksgiving for our communal resolve to abide by the guidelines to keep those around us safe and healthy. Some may join a general confession that they inadvertently acted beyond the guidance or the advice in a stressed or panicked situation, or out of fear for a loved one believing this was necessary.

We can review the overall figures and ascertain that even with some actions at odds with the rules, the overall task of helping to combat the disease has been working. This is down to all who stayed at home, protected the NHS and practised social distancing when making necessary journeys.

The role of the media in this story has received some attention and criticism. I remain a vocal supporter of the BBC and our national and local media in their efforts to hold public figures and government bodies to account. I share in trust for our Civil Service and local government.

It is a wry thought that the success of the messaging when lockdown came owes something to a person who is now the news story. Sometimes on cases like this, we might trust in our own individual judgements rather than any trial by media.

I try to offer balanced opinions and understand all points of view. It is not always straightforward or easy. I will fight for causes that are just. When needed, I hope to be someone you can trust. All the time I aim to be a representative for everyone, regardless of whether or however they vote.

We will slowly return to some semblance of normality. We must build confidence in our Government and trust in those making decisions which so greatly impact our lives, particularly in these unprecedented times. I continue to do what I can to represent the wide-ranging interests and views of constituents, pursuing decisions that are beneficial for our shared lives.

Constituents are reminded to include their full name, address and telephone number in correspondence. Time allowing, I am pleased to be able to listen directly to those sharing their views over the telephone. Do share your telephone number if this is your preference and indicate in any email.

Thank you for reading this response and for sharing your views.

Yours sincerely,

Sir Peter Bottomley

My Dad got exactly the same response too. 

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

BJ on todays briefing ...... lets announce more loosening of restrictions .... timed coincidentally .... contact tracers told 8pm last night it starts today ...

Scotland have relaxed their measures, two households can now meet outdoors including private gardens if socially distancing, up to 8 people.  Maybe we will follow suit?

48 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

I'd like to know how PL players are allowed to have close contact training yet I can't go see my family and stay 2m away from them.

They’re being tested twice a week. On balance probably still safer for them and less risk of transmission than for those who can’t work from home, have gone back to work and are practicing social distancing, but don’t know which of their colleagues have it.