When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Can we talk about the Oxford vaccine?  Here's what I think we know so far:

• It's likely to be the first vaccine available in the UK at scale - to start vaccinating almost half the population (30m doses) around September/October.
  • It appears to be safe, so far.
  • Animal trials have shown the following results
    • It protects against pneumonia - in the small trial offering 100% protection.
    • It substantially reduces the viral load in the respiratory tract. 
    • It does not affect the viral load in the nasal tract - so you can still be infectious!
    • We don't know (or I couldn't find any data on) how it affects your infectious period.  You would imagine it does, but unclear.

So, is this vaccine good enough to start opening up society again? It seems that lots of weight is still being thrown behind it, so it's obviously going ahead, but the viral load being unaffected in the very area where most shedding occurs seems worrying.  

I expect to advise my parents to get it, but is is enough for "this shit to end"?  Will it get us back to Worthy?

EDIT: paging @Toilet Duck for an expert opinion!

It would be good enough for me.  The high risk from the virus is reduced for the vulnerable, yes you are still infectious but the virus could then spread more "safely" thus building up immunity for anyone not vaccinated.  I don't personally see any reason why this shit couldn't end from that vaccine but will be interested to hear Toilet Duck's view.

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yeah they’ve withdrawn it now over concerns regarding people’s ability to take their blood properly from the finger prick test.

reckon I might be ok with that one .... having done it 1000s of times :( 

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Can we talk about the Oxford vaccine?  Here's what I think we know so far:

• It's likely to be the first vaccine available in the UK at scale - to start vaccinating almost half the population (30m doses) around September/October.
  • It appears to be safe, so far.
  • Animal trials have shown the following results
    • It protects against pneumonia - in the small trial offering 100% protection.
    • It substantially reduces the viral load in the respiratory tract. 
    • It does not affect the viral load in the nasal tract - so you can still be infectious!
    • We don't know (or I couldn't find any data on) how it affects your infectious period.  You would imagine it does, but unclear.

So, is this vaccine good enough to start opening up society again? It seems that lots of weight is still being thrown behind it, so it's obviously going ahead, but the viral load being unaffected in the very area where most shedding occurs seems worrying.  

I expect to advise my parents to get it, but is is enough for "this shit to end"?  Will it get us back to Worthy?

EDIT: paging @Toilet Duck for an expert opinion!

Obviously awaiting the almighty TDs input, but my hunch is yes - it would get us "back to normal". If the vaccine can protect the most vulnerable from having the most serious case of the illness, I think without immunising the population completely it would still be sufficient to move on. As mentioned above, we really need to know how many have had this virus and been asymptomatic. If that number is rather high, I reckon we'll be in a scenario where the most vulnerable are offered the vaccine, and the rest of the population are gradually allowed to return to normal with the expectation most of us will get the virus, but most will asymptomatic, and those with symptoms will have a mild illness. Essentially I think it will combo of herd immunity with the most at risk vaccinated and protected from the most severe effects of Covid.

I imagine that's what the UK and US governments are thinking as well otherwise I can't imagine them pumping so much money in to it if the expectation is it still won't be enough to bring us back to normality? Whether or not the above is fully safe is a different matter - I think it will be the plan.

11 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Yep. If I could find out if I've had it I'd feel a lot less paranoid. Could definitely go back to work.

Thought I'd read the results were unreliable and latest advice was not to use. I can see you've since googled that. Don't get the "people aren't taking their blood properly" logic. Blood is blood right? As long as you don't contaminate it. How are people messing this up?

Beat me to it.

I couldn't believe I was practically screaming for a tory government to get all totalitarian on our arses at the start of this. 

Yeah I don’t get that either, about the blood. I guess from a scientific point of view it’s one variable that could affect the results, which maybe in terms of absolutes is intolerable.

My hunch is more they’re unhappy private companies have jumped the gun on whatever they had planned for antibody testing and they just don’t want them selling them.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Another question - since I believe the Oxford vaccine is using more traditional methods, is it going to be cheaper to produce than the more exotic DNA/RNA techniques?

That depends on who elses pockets are being lined at the same time. The physical test may be cheap to produce but I guarantee someone will be making vast sums from it. 

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Do they need more blood that the typical finger test for blood sugar (assuming you do the same test as Type 2?)

when i saw it on tv it looked similar ..... for diabetics its tiny amounts needed ... but looked like it was similar to a pregnancy test @Toilet Duck youve been summoned again :) 

With the antibody test you could buy, does anybody know what information, if any, was gathered and it was collated and passed on to anybody?

You can see why the government might not want thousands of people just taking the test for their own personal curiosity of the data then wasn’t available. I’d imagine they had/have their own means of coordinating a widespread testing scheme with the data being used meaningfully. I’d imagine that’s more likely to be the reason they don’t like it over people’s ability to prick their finger.

3 hours ago, Homer said:

Where abouts is this please? I’ve got a mate who goes jogging every morning and photographs different Bristol graffiti.

In Riverside Park, at the M32 junction 3 end.

16 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

So let me get this straight: they made a big show yesterday of track and trace launching today and now they're saying it's not working properly and won't be fully functional until late June? Absolute joke.

Ben bradshaw is talking about the app rather than the manual track and trace 

37 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Another question - since I believe the Oxford vaccine is using more traditional methods, is it going to be cheaper to produce than the more exotic DNA/RNA techniques?

It's a one shot vaccine so should be cheaper on principle. I think the oxford team have said no one will be priced out of it.

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Ben bradshaw is talking about the app rather than the manual track and trace 

Ah right. Fair enough. But the other tweet about it not being ready at a local level? Or is that the app too?  Edit:ignore me, that's the same tweet 

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

22 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Probably something like this ... ( the things I do for efests :) ) 

image.jpg

Have a read of this, might be the same test.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/13/coronavirus-antibody-tests-gp-antibodies-immunity&ved=2ahUKEwiCzrXIu9bpAhUTsHEKHeI1AJIQFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw34h-pVjEz-6wOpjISSakbn&cshid=1590665734506

Edited by Neil

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

I kind of get it but the track and trace is not FOR the government, it is for the people childishly "protesting". The government don't actually care if people get infected and die. 

This attitude is the worst part of it - it's immature and stupid

10 minutes ago, zahidf said:

One rule for them....

If you apply it to Neil Ferguson it’s a farce. He’d had Covid already, so realistically there was zero risk to anyone of his bit on the side travelling to his and back, it was simply that it was a bad example to set for the public, and he didn’t even leave the house.