When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

25 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Are we actually going to have a second wave then, do people think? I've heard that said a lot and assumed that was the way we are going, particularly seeing the way people seem to be relaxing their behaviour. But it seems like it might still be avoidable? I hope that's the case, just wondering if I'm being naive.

I suspect there will be one but in autumn. Sweden has not locked down but deaths and new cases are also going down.

Other coronaviruses are seasonal, vitamin D has been shown to help vs it and uv light denatures the virus. But there isn’t enough immunity in the population to prevent another outbreak.

If that does happen there won’t be a second lockdown either but probably as now various restrictions in place focused on reducing the rate of transmission.

3 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Hi 2020...no problem at all. I'm currently a Professor in a large Medical School. My specialty is cancer. Did my training for that all over the world (in the US, I did my postdoctoral training at Columbia in New York and Harvard Med School in Boston; spent time at Glasgow Uni too; also did a spell at the Netherlands Cancer Institute; and spent the summer before last on sabbatical at Georgetown University in Washington (well, there was no Glasto!)). My primary degree was in Microbiology and my PhD was in Virology (viral oncology to be specific, which is how I end up in cancer research!). I don't pretend to know everything, it's been a while since I was a practicing virologist (though we use viruses to engineer cancer cells pretty much all the time and I'm on our institutional biosafety committee...I say we, I don't do any lab work anymore, my grad students and postdocs do all the work!...I think they'd get a good laugh out of seeing me in a lab coat with a pipette in my hand to be honest). I work with others who are part of the expert group advising the government here, so I get the chance to talk to them about this in meetings about other things (and they get lots of questions from the rest of us about what is going on!). In terms of meeting Nobel laureates, it doesn't happen all that often. We invite them to speak at the university and sometimes you get to go for dinner with them afterwards, or you run into them at conferences (scientists are generally happy to talk about science!). 

Legend

8 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Hi 2020...no problem at all. I'm currently a Professor in a large Medical School. My specialty is cancer. Did my training for that all over the world (in the US, I did my postdoctoral training at Columbia in New York and Harvard Med School in Boston; spent time at Glasgow Uni too; also did a spell at the Netherlands Cancer Institute; and spent the summer before last on sabbatical at Georgetown University in Washington (well, there was no Glasto!)). My primary degree was in Microbiology and my PhD was in Virology (viral oncology to be specific, which is how I end up in cancer research!). I don't pretend to know everything, it's been a while since I was a practicing virologist (though we use viruses to engineer cancer cells pretty much all the time and I'm on our institutional biosafety committee...I say we, I don't do any lab work anymore, my grad students and postdocs do all the work!...I think they'd get a good laugh out of seeing me in a lab coat with a pipette in my hand to be honest). I work with others who are part of the expert group advising the government here, so I get the chance to talk to them about this in meetings about other things (and they get lots of questions from the rest of us about what is going on!). In terms of meeting Nobel laureates, it doesn't happen all that often. We invite them to speak at the university and sometimes you get to go for dinner with them afterwards, or you run into them at conferences (scientists are generally happy to talk about science!). 

Gosh.

41 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Are we actually going to have a second wave then, do people think? I've heard that said a lot and assumed that was the way we are going, particularly seeing the way people seem to be relaxing their behaviour. But it seems like it might still be avoidable? I hope that's the case, just wondering if I'm being naive.

No one knows...but WHO are warning countries to prepare just in case. If the virus is still around and there are no working anti-viral drugs or a vaccine then I wouldn't br surprised if we had a second wave later in the year....just have to hope not so bad that we have to go into another lockdown.

2 hours ago, Smeble said:

Funniest thing I’ve read on the internet today. Yes driving to test your eyesight is moronic and dangerous but I don’t think they will be worried about some random angry person on the internet. I think you may have slightly overestimated your own self importance. Which is very common on this forum.

Not self-important but public services are there to answer questions from the public of which I am a member. I think it's a point of law worth clarifying. I work with screens and generally have been led to believe that going to the opticians is the way to check your eyesight. Just checking if in future I should just go on a drive and see if I don't crash and kill someone instead. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Not self-important but public services are there to answer questions from the public of which I am a member. I think it's a point of law worth clarifying. I work with screens and generally have been led to believe that going to the opticians is the way to check your eyesight. Just checking if in future I should just go on a drive and see if I don't crash and kill someone instead. 

He only comes on here to snipe at people, I wouldn't worry about it.

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

He only comes on here to snipe at people, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks. Just thought worth mentioning that unlike Dominic Cummings I don't think I am more important than everyone else. It's why I have followed lockdown rules. 

• Upvote 1

What number of Tory MPs are we at now? Trying to keep on the Guardian but hard to keep score.

And lol @ Jeremy Hunt saying Cummings broke lockdown guidance but shouldn't be sacked, when there's clear precedent for that happening. Then we're really in one rule for elite territory. Idiot.

Edit: BBC just saying 30+.

Edited by jparx

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

What number of Tory MPs are we at now? Trying to keep on the Guardian but hard to keep score.

And lol @ Jeremy Hunt saying Cummings broke lockdown guidance but shouldn't be sacked, when there's clear precedent for that happening. Then we're really in one rule for elite territory. Idiot.

More than 30 is all I can see.

6 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Jeeze, I'm glad no one has asked me for an outline of my job and expertise. I really have achieved fuck all in that regard so far. 

one thing this pandemic has taught us is that it has no relevance ..... doesnt take any expertise to be a decent person fortunately and to fulfil important roles for the country 

• Upvote 2