When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

The Cummings story where he edited his own blog on his first day back at work to add coronavirus to his pandemic warnings is quite something.

I thought so too. That shows to me he knew he would need to defend his actions at some stage so went back to update the article to show he knew this would happen.

I think the thing that is getting to me so much about this whole thing is feeling so powerless to the injustice. Tories gonna Tory and ignore the public. I'll be staggered if they get rid of him. Tory voters just throwing abuse at the left/remainers(!?).... before we know it this will all become a left vs right thing again and he'll/they'll have gotten away with it.

Anyone else feel similar?

30 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

So from a scientific point of view the jury is still out, there is no concrete proof one way or the other, different experts have different opinions, "Occam's razor suggests that the simplest explanation  is most likely to be true", I agree and the simplest explanation for the emergence of this virus in Wuhan is an escape from the local lab. Obviously  I can't prove that but if it did happen, there would not just be a major geopolitical scandal but questions from everyone who has lost loved ones due to this, it is a political hot potato and so there is little incentive to resolve the question, for the moment at least.

From a scientific point of view, the jury is not still out. There’s still no evidence that it was engineered (both pieces you have posted here are easily rebuffed). Did a natural virus leak from a lab? Who knows, it’s possible, but it’s also possible (see probable) that like most infections that arise in humans, it came from another reservoir (animal), one with the potential to seed many infections.

16 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

No wonder he needs to work those 16 hour days ... these cover ups must be hard bloody work !! 

it's not even a cover up...he just added it so could be referred to at some point, and he did so at that press thing yesterday. He just makes shit up.

Cummings is going nowhere, that presser in the rose garden in Downing Street yesterday made that clear. His sole objective was to prove he's untouchable. Anyone notice the little smirk and chuckle at the end? The key question for me isn't why he hasn't resigned, but why won't Johnson sack him. I think we can guess. Cummings learned well from his time in Russia. 

Although I think Cummings is an appalling sh*t, I don't want him to resign or be sacked. I want ALL these Vote Leave criminals to be in place when the real economic and public health shitstorm hits. I want them to be held accountable. And I want them prosecuted for the harm they've perpetrated on the British people. This isn't a case of being right/left, or leave/remain any more. It's about truth and justice, versus lies and criminality. 

If we think it's bad now, see where we are in another 6 months....

Have a lovely day all!  😄 I'm going back to looking at funny photos of dogs and cats.

41 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

dont forget the 14 day quarantine on return ... hopefully that will get lifted 

This is so typical of the screwed up thinking of our Gov't.  No restrictions on incoming passengers for the last couple of months whilst the virus rages worldwide. Just as other european countries start to open borders (see news today on Germant opening from 15 June), we decide to clamp down from 8 June.  What is the chuffin' point - that horse bolted weeks ago. 

Sorry to divert from the DC debate (sack him, and all that have tried to back him!), but this quarantine winds me up too!

2 minutes ago, phillyfaddle said:

Although I think Cummings is an appalling sh*t, I don't want him to resign or be sacked. I want ALL these Vote Leave criminals to be in place when the real economic and public health shitstorm hits. I want them to be held accountable. And I want them prosecuted for the harm they've perpetrated on the British people. This isn't a case of being right/left, or leave/remain any more. It's about truth and justice, versus lies and criminality. 

Whilst I would love that to happen the problem seems to be that they are never held to account. They'll probably get another majority at the next GE as people seem to have short memories when it seems to come to voting for them.

1 minute ago, Northtim said:

This is so typical of the screwed up thinking of our Gov't.  No restrictions on incoming passengers for the last couple of months whilst the virus rages worldwide. Just as other european countries start to open borders (see news today on Germant opening from 15 June), we decide to clamp down from 8 June.  What is the chuffin' point - that horse bolted weeks ago. 

Sorry to divert from the DC debate (sack him, and all that have tried to back him!), but this quarantine winds me up too!

Yep surely we are by far the biggest issue in Europe right now ( cases ) ? So it might make sense the other way round ? 

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Good news

Quite a relatively 'high' number yesterday in 8 though so I wouldn't focus too much on that figure. Those figures only account for hospital deaths (and a small number of community deaths).

Either way, certainly not bad news!

Just now, DareToDibble said:

Whilst I would love that to happen the problem seems to be that they are never held to account. They'll probably get another majority at the next GE as people seem to have short memories when it seems to come to voting for them.

I agree with you on the short memories.

However, the next GE - if we have one - is in 5 years' time. I'm quite encouraged that *most* people have not been afraid to show their real anger at the hypocrisy and lies on display during #CumGate. OK, it's been restricted to venting on social media and emailing MPs (plus shouting "oi, w*nker" or flicking the Vs at Cummings, for the London locals) for now. When the second COVID wave hits (any time now), with no lockdown to mitigate it, then the economic tsunami of 'no deal' Brexit follows, I *hope* that anger moves up a few notches and is channelled by a great opposition leader, to smash this international crime syndicate once and for all. Trump, Johnson, Bolsonaro, Orban, Salvini - all linked.

Will that leader be Starmer? I don't know. But to get there, we'll also need high profile whistleblowers in the civil service, police and military, those who really know what's going on behind the scenes with this shower of self-serving loons. That tweet from the UK Civil Service account on the weekend, could be the start of something. Or not! LOL.

@Toilet Duck I hope you don't mind me asking, but are you able to provide a quick outline of your job and expertise? I am sure it has been answered somewhere in the first 200 pages, but I joined this thread a bit late and while I do read your posts with great interest and place a lot of weight on what you say, I think it would be helpful if I (and I imagine some others) had an idea of how you know all that you do.

This is not an attempt to discredit you, I am just genuinely interested in your background as you are so knowledgable (and seem to know all of the well-known figures in the science community).

It would also help when I try to reiterate things you have said on here to my girlfriend, and when she asks me where I got that information all I have at the moment is "some guy on the eFestivals thread who seems to know his stuff"!

Thanks a lot :)

Edited by 2020 Vision
repeated words

Are we actually going to have a second wave then, do people think? I've heard that said a lot and assumed that was the way we are going, particularly seeing the way people seem to be relaxing their behaviour. But it seems like it might still be avoidable? I hope that's the case, just wondering if I'm being naive.

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

As it stands the next General Election in the U.K. is in 4 years time on Thursday 2nd May 2024.

I didn't realise it had specific references to May in the legislation:

The Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011 (FTPA) introduced fixed-term parliaments to the United Kingdom, with elections scheduled on the first Thursday in May of the fifth year after the previous general election, unless the previous general election took place between 1 January and the first Thursday in May, in which case the election takes place on the first Thursday in May of the fourth year after the previous general election.[14]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_United_Kingdom_general_election

11 minutes ago, phillyfaddle said:

I agree with you on the short memories.

However, the next GE - if we have one - is in 5 years' time. I'm quite encouraged that *most* people have not been afraid to show their real anger at the hypocrisy and lies on display during #CumGate. OK, it's been restricted to venting on social media and emailing MPs (plus shouting "oi, w*nker" or flicking the Vs at Cummings, for the London locals) for now. When the second COVID wave hits (any time now), with no lockdown to mitigate it, then the economic tsunami of 'no deal' Brexit follows, I *hope* that anger moves up a few notches and is channelled by a great opposition leader, to smash this international crime syndicate once and for all. Trump, Johnson, Bolsonaro, Orban, Salvini - all linked.

Will that leader be Starmer? I don't know. But to get there, we'll also need high profile whistleblowers in the civil service, police and military, those who really know what's going on behind the scenes with this shower of self-serving loons. That tweet from the UK Civil Service account on the weekend, could be the start of something. Or not! LOL.

"If we have one"?

21 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I didn't realise it had specific references to May in the legislation:

The Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011 (FTPA) introduced fixed-term parliaments to the United Kingdom, with elections scheduled on the first Thursday in May of the fifth year after the previous general election, unless the previous general election took place between 1 January and the first Thursday in May, in which case the election takes place on the first Thursday in May of the fourth year after the previous general election.[14]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_United_Kingdom_general_election

Yes that was one of the big parts of the FTPA, as the Lib Dem’s as part of the Coalition Government wanted a set date for the next election so Cameron couldn’t just call an election when he wanted (like PMs could previously) when it looked the polls were in his favour. This way it gave the junior partners stability.

The FTPA is a complete joke, if it wasn’t for that Theresa Mays government probably wouldn’t have lasted on either occasion she lost her Brexit bill vote. 

The Scottish conservative leader, Jackson Carlaw, has finally called for Dominic Cummings to resign, after coming under intense pressure while a number of his own MSPs expressed their strong support for their colleague Douglas Ross, who resigned as a UK government minister earlier today in protest at the Cummings row.

4 minutes ago, 2020 Vision said:

@Toilet Duck I hope you don't mind me asking, but are you able to provide a quick outline of your job and expertise? I am sure it has been answered somewhere in the first 200 pages, but I joined this thread a bit late and while I do read your posts with great interest and place a lot of weight on what you say, I think it would be helpful if I (and I imagine some others) had an idea of how you know all that you do.

This is not an attempt to discredit you, I am just genuinely interested in your background as you are so knowledgable (and seem to know all of the well-known figures in the science community).

It would also help when I try to reiterate things you have said on here to my girlfriend, and when she asks me where I got that information all I have at the moment is "some guy on the eFestivals thread who seems to know his stuff"!

Thanks a lot :)

Hi 2020...no problem at all. I'm currently a Professor in a large Medical School. My specialty is cancer. Did my training for that all over the world (in the US, I did my postdoctoral training at Columbia in New York and Harvard Med School in Boston; spent time at Glasgow Uni too; also did a spell at the Netherlands Cancer Institute; and spent the summer before last on sabbatical at Georgetown University in Washington (well, there was no Glasto!)). My primary degree was in Microbiology and my PhD was in Virology (viral oncology to be specific, which is how I end up in cancer research!). I don't pretend to know everything, it's been a while since I was a practicing virologist (though we use viruses to engineer cancer cells pretty much all the time and I'm on our institutional biosafety committee...I say we, I don't do any lab work anymore, my grad students and postdocs do all the work!...I think they'd get a good laugh out of seeing me in a lab coat with a pipette in my hand to be honest). I work with others who are part of the expert group advising the government here, so I get the chance to talk to them about this in meetings about other things (and they get lots of questions from the rest of us about what is going on!). In terms of meeting Nobel laureates, it doesn't happen all that often. We invite them to speak at the university and sometimes you get to go for dinner with them afterwards, or you run into them at conferences (scientists are generally happy to talk about science!). 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 8