When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

15 minutes ago, jparx said:

@Toilet Duck This is a very random question, but if you've got a second i'd be interested in your take. I was talking with my fiance earlier about that pool party in the US, and Spain potentially being open for tourists soon. What's the transmission rate of Covid in a swimming pool? If holidays can happen eventually, will (or should) swimming pools be completely off limits, or does the chlorine offer some protection? Or is the transmission in water not really an issue in the first place?

So, all evidence I’ve seen suggest that the levels of Chlorine in a pool are sufficient to kill the virus. In pools and in the sea, the volume of water would also dilute it to such an extent that infection would be unlikely. Changing rooms etc associated with pools would be the greater risk. I’m due to go to Spain for the first two weeks in August. As it stands, with decent precautions on the plane and at the airport, I feel ok about going (and brining my family). Things could change and a few weeks ago I wasn’t sure, but at the moment, I’d go.

19 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

@Toilet Duck I wonder if you might be kind enough to answer something for me. I know flu is different and that it also mutates, but it dies out in summer and comes back in winter. But how does it not completely die out? I thought if the R was below 1, then eventually you would always get to a point when the virus disappears... or is it that the R is below 1, but to get to zero it would take a much longer period than the gap between the end of flu season and the start?

It’s not winter everywhere! Flu season comes in waves in different parts of the world.

Edit: There's loads of stuff we don't understand also, for example, the impact of chronobiology. There's some great emerging evidence on how daylight impacts on our immune systems. We are indoors and deprived of sunlight in the winter, even low levels of viruses get the opportunity to expand their numbers under circumstances like this. But still loads left to explain!

Edited by Toilet Duck

4 hours ago, Ozanne said:

It’s like if you pull a sicky from work then get caught and make up this really elaborate story as to why you were seen outside but were ill enough to phone in sick 🤒 

A mate of mind said his story sounds like one that a bloke who had an action man stuck up his arse would use to explain his situation to the nurse in A&E 😅

3 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

It’s not winter everywhere! Flu season comes in waves in different parts of the world.

Oh of course, so in theory if we stopped people coming in and out after flu season ended here then it would die out.... but it will always get imported back in, and then have the perfect conditions to thrive during our flu season.

7 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

So, all evidence I’ve seen suggest that the levels of Chlorine in a pool are sufficient to kill the virus. In pools and in the sea, the volume of water would also dilute it to such an extent that infection would be unlikely. Changing rooms etc associated with pools would be the greater risk. I’m due to go to Spain for the first two weeks in August. As it stands, with decent precautions on the plane and at the airport, I feel ok about going (and brining my family). Things could change and a few weeks ago I wasn’t sure, but at the moment, I’d go.

you don't have the quarantine thing in Ireland?

1 hour ago, Toilet Duck said:

So, if someone engineered them, they would have had to have done it a very long time before genetic engineering even existed. Now that would be worth a Nobel prize!

So if I am reading you correctly you are saying Aliens created it some time back and are still playing games with us.

Or Lizards disguised as humans

I knew it

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

you don't have the quarantine thing in Ireland?

We do, 2 weeks when we return. I don’t expect it to still be in place in August (7 days maybe), but I can do that if needs be. It’s more likely we’ll be back to restricted movements if coming from somewhere with sustained community transmission though.

20 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

That's useful to know, thanks. We went to a great resort last year in Portugal that I imagine would be fairly easy to socially distance. We probably won't go if it's even possible, but we were just wondering how it would work if we went. The only real hassle I can see is the airport, and however a taxi to the resort would work. Initially I thought holidays would be totally impossible, but it seems like a realistic chance now.

Edited by jparx

1 minute ago, jparx said:

That's useful to know. We went to a great resort last year in Portugal that I imagine would be fairly easy to socially distance. We probably won't go if it's even possible, but we were just wondering how it would work if we went. The only real hassle I can see is the airport, and however a taxi to the resort would work. Initially I thought holidays would be totally impossible, but it seems like a realistic chance now.

dont forget the 14 day quarantine on return ... hopefully that will get lifted 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

dont forget the 14 day quarantine on return ... hopefully that will get lifted 

We're currently both working from home, and likely will be until at least September 1st, so it could work. Not sure I really fancy the hassle though, and probably hugely inflated prices!

1 hour ago, Toilet Duck said:

As it happens, I've met Luc (nice bloke, more genuine than Bob Gallo who I also met!). Unfortunately, it's still its an opinion and the facts that you seem to think are sacred are not shown (you posted clip to another professor showing facts, but these were cherry-picked to illustrate a point and ignored all the other facts pointing the other way, from exactly the same paper quoted). The pre-print you've referenced also doesn't prove anything (though they do speculate...if I was reviewing it, the speculation would be removed prior to publication as it isn't supported by the data presented). The Nature paper describing the virus (which has been peer reviewed and pored over by virologists and molecular biologists the world over) also addressed the question, but provides key facts as to why it is unlikely that it was engineered (not just the RNA sequence, but the types of post-translational modifications evident that could only have occurred via evolution in an organism with an immune system). Until I see that level of evidence (published in one of the top journals in the world; NatureCell or Science please) irrefutably proving human manipulation, then I'll stick to what has been proven so far rather than speculating. I'm not naive enough to think we know everything, of course we don't. I also don't doubt that human interference at some level has contributed to this (and it's entirely possible that it came out of a lab through a leak, I've worked in many, all over the world and some have better protocols than others). What I will say is that if it turns out that is was engineered (and so far the evidence doesn't support this), then it is one of the most sophisticated pieces of genetic engineering I've ever seen, with a massive amount of work put in to engineer useless changes to make it seem random (and Occam's razor suggests that the simplest explanation, i.e. they are random, is most likely to be true). 

So from a scientific point of view the jury is still out, there is no concrete proof one way or the other, different experts have different opinions, "Occam's razor suggests that the simplest explanation  is most likely to be true", I agree and the simplest explanation for the emergence of this virus in Wuhan is an escape from the local lab. Obviously  I can't prove that but if it did happen, there would not just be a major geopolitical scandal but questions from everyone who has lost loved ones due to this, it is a political hot potato and so there is little incentive to resolve the question, for the moment at least.

• Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

We're currently both working from home, and likely will be until at least September 1st, so it could work. Not sure I really fancy the hassle though, and probably hugely inflated prices!

well sorted then ... enjoy your holiday :) 

10 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

So from a scientific point of view the jury is still out, there is no concrete proof one way or the other, different experts have different opinions, "Occam's razor suggests that the simplest explanation  is most likely to be true", I agree and the simplest explanation for the emergence of this virus in Wuhan is an escape from the local lab. Obviously  I can't prove that but if it did happen, there would not just be a major geopolitical scandal but questions from everyone who has lost loved ones due to this, it is a political hot potato and so there is little incentive to resolve the question, for the moment at least.

I love you. so much in there to unpack.

I don't believe your world view but it does fascinate me how you get there.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

The Cummings story where he edited his own blog on his first day back at work to add coronavirus to his pandemic warnings is quite something.

No wonder he needs to work those 16 hour days ... these cover ups must be hard bloody work !! 

I'd drafted a long email to that vile Philip Davies and then had to amend it as he's publicly said DC needs to go.  If anything I'm getting more angry the longer he hangs on.  My mother has been in hospital now for three weeks and was shielding before but was struggling and we followed the government guidance to stay at home so feel that I've stupidly put my mother at risk by not following my instincts and travelling to her each week.