When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

5 minutes ago, Dave85radiohead said:

Anyone saying going through his phone records would be unfair should remember that Cummings had the police go through Sonia Kahn’s phone records to get her sacked without following any HR procedures at all.

It's not about any one individual for me.  It's about whether I want police going through people's (anyone's) bank/phone records to try and prove they've broken lockdown and the answer to that for me is no.  Also what more could it add to the situation?  He's already admitted to more than enough to warrant getting rid. 

7 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

The bit in the middle, when he clearly can't believe the BS he is finding himself speaking😂

Amazing 😂 

Also, he drove 30 miles to make sure he was fit to drive, but when he got to Barnard Castle he was feeling dodgy and had to sit on a bench for a while. I'd take that to mean he wasn't fit enough to drive 260 miles the next day! There are so many holes in this story.

1 minute ago, Simsy said:

Also, he drove 30 miles to make sure he was fit to drive, but when he got to Barnard Castle he was feeling dodgy and had to sit on a bench for a while. I'd take that to mean he wasn't fit enough to drive 260 miles the next day! There are so many holes in this story.

Exactly.  Its so obvious at this point that the media deliberately avoided asking some of the really incriminating questions.  He could have been made to squirm way more than he was.

5 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

It's not about any one individual for me.  It's about whether I want police going through people's (anyone's) bank/phone records to try and prove they've broken lockdown and the answer to that for me is no.  Also what more could it add to the situation?  He's already admitted to more than enough to warrant getting rid. 

I don’t think the issue is just breaking lockdown anymore. It’s about proving that the government and its advisers are lying and deliberately hiding the truth. That’s how I justify it any way.

6 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Amazing 😂 

I love the bit after that where his kid needed a wee but then they all had to have a play and a walk in the woods 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Some of this has me pissing myself ... it’s unbelievable , if I were a member of the cabinet why on earth would you be doing interviews today ?!  And then defending it ... 

Especially since they believe a line has been drawn under it. They're certainly not helping put the story to bed. If I were them, I'd give as little chance as possible for journalists to probe ministers over the eyesight stuff.

I am still incandescent with rage about this whole thing. I have just tweeted the DVLA this morning to ask the legal position on getting behind the wheel of a car when you don't think your eyesight is right. 

I do not intend to let this drop. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, jparx said:

Especially since they believe a line has been drawn under it. They're certainly not helping put the story to bed. If I were them, I'd give as little chance as possible for journalists to probe ministers over the eyesight stuff.

I’d go for a drive ... or a walk in the woods to avoid the press today 

More Tory MPs coming out now calling for his resignation. And they thought this was over 😂

I thought the Tory MPs would stay quiet about it now and try to move on, and public opinion would push him out, but I guess I was wrong. Anymore ministerial resignations today?

1 minute ago, jparx said:

More Tory MPs coming out now calling for his resignation. And they thought this was over 😂

I thought the Tory MPs would stay quiet about it now and try to move on, and public opinion would push him out, but I guess I was wrong. Anymore ministerial resignations today?

The main issue for the MPs is that they have to deal with their constituents venting their anger via email, on twitter etc. It’s a very difficult position for them to be in given the public outrage, its much more than standard party politics and they are trapped in between a rock and a hard place.

Well done Douglas Ross. I dont support his party but at least he has shown a bit of integrity here.

This goes a lot further that just a few drives. Serious mistakes were made in the early stages of this outbreak. We live in a developed country with an excellent health service. The predictions were that we would have 20000 deaths. It’s already double that and still rising. The dithering and delay in imposing a lockdown has contributed to this. That was a government decision and obviously Cummings will have been heavily involved in this. He seems to wield so much power and influence over Johnson, more than any cabinet minister. Maybe that’s the mistakes he was referring to in his pathetic attempt to save his skin. He has to go. 

5 minutes ago, st dan said:

The main issue for the MPs is that they have to deal with their constituents venting their anger via email, on twitter etc. It’s a very difficult position for them to be in given the public outrage, its much more than standard party politics and they are trapped in between a rock and a hard place.

I'm imaging a lot of them have slim majorities too, so they will want to keep the public on side, even if the next election is a way off.

Just written to my Labour MP:

As an Ealing constituent, I am writing to you with regards to the actions of the prime minister's chief adviser Dominic Cummings in flagrantly breaking the lockdown restrictions and then failing to show any hint of remorse. 

Although not a lifelong Labour voter, I have voted for you since living in Ealing (the last two elections) and believe that you have the best interests of the public at heart. The same can not be said for this shameless Conservative government who seem to hold us all in complete contempt.

The government are trying to draw a line under this issue and suggest that the public will "make up their own minds". Please can you and your colleagues, across Labour and indeed all opposition parties, keep reminding the government that the public emphatically wish for Cummings to resign? I am relying on you to help keep up the pressure here. 

This is not a minor issue – it is an instance of the government choosing to back one of their own ahead of enforcing guidelines during a public health emergency. It represents the very worst aspects of a government that has only its best interests at heart.
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I'm imaging a lot of them have slim majorities too, so they will want to keep the public on side, even if the next election is a way off.

Just written to my Labour MP:

As an Ealing constituent, I am writing to you with regards to the actions of the prime minister's chief adviser Dominic Cummings in flagrantly breaking the lockdown restrictions and then failing to show any hint of remorse. 

Although not a lifelong Labour voter, I have voted for you since living in Ealing (the last two elections) and believe that you have the best interests of the public at heart. The same can not be said for this shameless Conservative government who seem to hold us all in complete contempt.

The government are trying to draw a line under this issue and suggest that the public will "make up their own minds". Please can you and your colleagues, across Labour and indeed all opposition parties, keep reminding the government that the public emphatically wish for Cummings to resign? I am relying on you to help keep up the pressure here. 

This is not a minor issue – it is an instance of the government choosing to back one of their own ahead of enforcing guidelines during a public health emergency. It represents the very worst aspects of a government that has only its best interests at heart.

Great stuff 🙂

I emailed my MP again this morning after doing so yesterday. This is what I sent this morning (with some personal detailed left our):

‘Dear Dr Caroline Johnson, 

I wrote to you yesterday to outline my disgust at the entire situation regarding Dominic Cummings and the backing he received from the Prime Minister. Thank you for not replying to me, it has made me feel very valued indeed. 

Since then, Mr Cummings has gone on to explain his actions in the most convoluted and shoddy manner. However, one extremely important detail emerged; that he got into his car with his wife and, most shockingly, four year old child, to go for a drive (a 60 mile drive, in total) to test his eyesight as he was having issues seeing clearly. 

So my question to you is: would you personally go for a 60 mile drive if you knew your eyesight was impaired? Also, would you advise me, a resident of your constituency in [Lincolnshire market town], and others who live in the [Lincolnshire market town] area, to get into our cars and go for a drive if our eyesights were impaired? 

I would like to think not, as I’m sure you can see that having multiple people on the roads of our quiet little town with impaired vision could lead to some terribly unfortunate situations. 

As my local MP, I look forward to hearing your advice on this matter, as it will be hugely important to know whether all conservative MPs support driving whilst visually impaired (with a four year old child on board, at that) or if it is just our dear Prime Minister and his friends Mr Cummings and Mr Gove who think that this is a perfectly normal thing to do. 

Yours faithfully, 

Andre91’

Edited by Andre91