When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

17 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

I find it strange that people are actually saying ‘As Dominic Cummings was stupid enough to risk his and his family’s health by breaking the rules, then I’m going to be stupid enough to put my family’s health at risk too, that’ll show ‘em’

I agree with that of course, but the issue is Boris explained it away as saying he acted on instinct. So that can be applied to many scenarios now that aren’t necessarily putting anybodies family at risk. You’d think it would be ‘instinct’ to want to attend a loved ones funeral, you might even say it would be ‘instinctive’ to visit a friends house on a bank holiday Monday when the sun is blazing. He also suggested the rules are open to interpretation and that you can actually apply common sense to them rather than following them to the letter of the law, and sadly common sense is lacking in many. 

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I know what you mean, but he wasn't. He was putting other people's health at risk, by driving across the country full of virus.

Some people will now think it's okay to do the same thing that they are infuriated at him for doing.  Which makes no sense.

19 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

Some people will now think it's okay to do the same thing that they are infuriated at him for doing.  Which makes no sense.

I'm not going to do it, so I'm most of the way to agreeing with you.  But if you look at it from the perspective of it being about compliance to the rules rather than doing the right thing purely based on the science and fighting the virus, then it does make a kind of sense.

A lot of the anger comes from the fact the he set some rules and then broke them.  If you ignore (which I do not suggest!) the intrinsic merit of these rules, then it's fairly reasonable to no longer feel compelled by the rules.  Especially since the government is now saying he didn't break any rules after all.

As I say, I don't agree with this point of view.  I'm still on board with Stay Home, Save Lives, Protect the NHS.  But I can certainly see the sense in it. 

46 minutes ago, mcshed said:

We'll likely never know what the real reason for it but Boris's steadfast defence of him is decidedly odd, I thought these people where supposed to be ruthless?

I suspect the steadfast defence of him may be because they all knew he was doing it. If he can prove they knew he was going which considering he was working for them I assume they did then they are all implicated in it. 

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I suspect the steadfast defence of him may be because they all knew he was doing it. If he can prove they knew he was going which considering he was working for them I assume they did then they are all implicated in it. 

yep totally .....every one of those people that tweeted to defend him knew ...

Edited by crazyfool1

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm not going to do it, so I'm most of the way to agreeing with you.  But if you look at it from the perspective of it being about compliance to the rules rather than doing the right thing purely based on the science and fighting the virus, then it does make a kind of sense.

A lot of the anger comes from the fact the he set some rules and then broke them.  If you ignore (which I do not suggest!) the intrinsic merit of these rules, then it's fairly reasonable to no longer feel compelled by the rules.  Especially since the government is now saying he didn't break any rules after all.

As I say, I don't agree with this point of view.  I'm still on board with Stay Home, Save Lives, Protect the NHS.  But I can certainly see the sense in it. 

I also think given the stage of lockdown we are at ie. being told to risk lives for jobs but not for family a lot of people will just think fuck it I know how careful my Mum and Dad have been whereas I have no fucking clue what Dave from Accounts has been up to. I'm going to use my instincts to see my family who I know have missed me terribly and will be cheered by seeing me. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It sort of reminds me of a situation I had at work many years ago. It was a sales based job with commission, a colleague was doing well and earning more but it came to light the reason was because he was doing something against the rules, that I wasn’t doing for that very reason.

Our boss when it was brought to his attention did nothing and ignored it, because ultimately the rule breaking benefited him.

So I was both angry that my colleague had been doing it, but ultimately decided I should start doing it myself.

I know it’s different with peoples health at stake, but I think It’s perfectly reasonable that some people can be angry about what’s happened, and then decide to be more relaxed about the rules than they had been up to that point.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It sort of reminds me of a situation I had at work many years ago. It was a sales based job with commission, a colleague was doing well and earning more but it came too light the reason was because he was doing something against the rules, that I wasn’t doing for that very reason.

Our boss when it was brought to his attention did nothing and ignored it, because ultimately the rule breaking benefited him.

So I was both angry that my colleague had been doing it, but ultimately decided I should start doing it myself.

I know it’s different with peoples health at stake, but I think It’s perfectly reasonable that some people can be angry about what’s happened, and then decide to be more relaxed about the rules than they had been up to that point.

Yeah, exactly.

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

They can, but then they can't be surprised if there are repercussions from that.  We all know the risks at this point.

3 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

They can, but then they can't be surprised if there are repercussions from that.  We all know the risks at this point.

Of course, but bear in mind there are plenty of people on the edge of their tolerance just looking for an excuse, it’s not so much a question of people not knowing the risks. I’ve observed lockdown to the letter, I live on my own and haven’t seen one friend since it began, but a lot of my mates gave up following it weeks ago. They’ve been going round each other’s houses, at one point a few weeks ago there were eight of them together at one house. They all complied with lockdown to a point... and then there was obviously a tipping point where they thought nah, I’m not bothered anymore. For many something like this will be their tipping point.

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Of course, but bear in mind there are plenty of people on the edge of their tolerance just looking for an excuse, it’s not so much a question of people not knowing the risks. I’ve observed lockdown to the letter, I live on my own and haven’t seen one friend since it began, but a lot of my mates gave up following it weeks ago. They’ve been going round each other’s houses, at one point a few weeks ago there were eight of them together at one house. They all complied with lockdown to a point... and then there was obviously a tipping point where they thought nah, I’m not bothered anymore. For many something like this will be their tipping point.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting that it will happen.  It absolutely will.