When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

I know his ego is a big barrier to this, but I honestly think if he came out and showed remorse, and apologised, enough people would let it go to the point he can stay on. Maybe that's the play?

I think it must be...can't think what else it could be.

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

I think we are past this point ....

Perhaps, but it has a better shot than just attacking the media! I think the Tory voters who are so pissed off about this don't see it as a left vs right thing. His usual divide and conquer tactic won't work here and would really just make it worse, so there has to be a different play. 

4 minutes ago, jparx said:

I know his ego is a big barrier to this, but I honestly think if he came out and showed remorse, and apologised, enough people would let it go to the point he can stay on. Maybe that's the play?

It could be this, it's probably the best option available. Any excuses will only add to anger. I don't think people will let this go though, he'll have to apologise and resign for that (which he won't do).

I am sure he will peddle a story in order to build sympathy, rather than apologise. Accuse the "liberal" media of harrassing him and his family, and insist he kept to the rules. I am sure that vacuous, evil man doesn't even know what remorse means. 

1 minute ago, jparx said:

Perhaps, but it has a better shot than just attacking the media! I think the Tory voters who are so pissed off about this don't see it as a left vs right thing. His usual divide and conquer tactic won't work here and would really just make it worse, so there has to be a different play. 

I think quitting is more likely .... the questions bit will be covered in his statement ....

This is very much the same pattern as what happened up here with our chief med officer. She apologised publicly but soon realised that it was taking attention away from the real issues so resigned the next day. Hopefully Cummings has decided to go or maybe been asked to resign. Of course unlike most folk he seems to be without scruples and is an arsehole so might try and just carry on.

Just now, Ozanne said:

It could be this, it's probably the best option available. Any excuses will only add to anger. I don't think people will let this go though, he'll have to apologise and resign for that (which he won't do).

The tipping point for this will be the Barnard Castle thing. He has no excuse for that. If he comes out all guns blazing, or even apologises, and the police investigation finds he did travel around then he's utterly fucked.

This is fascinating. Can't wait to see what their play is. So many different ways they could fuck themselves but we know if anyone can weasel out of this, it's Johnson and his puppet master.

I just don't think he would make a statement if he was resigning. I think he'd put out a press release, slag off the liberal media in the process, and that would be it.

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I think quitting is more likely .... the questions bit will be covered in his statement ....

It'll be "I didn't do anything wrong, but this is now too much of a distraction so for the good of the country (Johnson's career) I'm stepping down"

Just now, philipsteak said:

It'll be "I didn't do anything wrong, but this is now too much of a distraction so for the good of the country (Johnson's career) I'm stepping down"

To me that would do even more damage to Bozza as he's already shown where his loyalty lies.  If he'd got rid of Cummings straight away he could have ended up with the same outcome but also with some dignity intact.

1 hour ago, philipsteak said:

Lived there for 5 years. Never got round to sorting residency. Came home a few years ago. Regretted both decisions on numerous occasions, non more so than now 

How did you find the lifestyle? Where did you live? My wife's big reservation about NZ life is the lack of decent touring gigs, etc. Though I am going to be 44 in two days, so maybe I should start acting my age.

I don't see how he can go the sympathy angle. Thousands upon thousands of families will have comparatively more heartbreaking stories than his, without half of the privilege. 

I hope that if it is not a resignation, it is at least a complete car crash.. but everything about this government has taught me not to count on anything good ever coming from them.

5 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

To me that would do even more damage to Bozza as he's already shown where his loyalty lies.  If he'd got rid of Cummings straight away he could have ended up with the same outcome but also with some dignity intact.

It frightens me to think just how much influence he has. We knew that to a degree, but Boris is really tarnishing his own reputation to save his skin. When bishops are questioning the morality of the prime minister on national news you have to ask how much he will sacrifice for Cummings. He's coming across spineless and weak after working so hard to convince a majority of the country he was strong and decisive!

10 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I really hope this is a complete disaster too. Imagine if he came out with excuses and criticised the media for harassment. The uproar it would cause!

I get the feeling its going to go that way... along with the autistic son/family death and maybe a non-sincere apology. Would be beyond satire.

1 minute ago, jparx said:

It frightens me to think just how much influence he has. We knew that to a degree, but Boris is really tarnishing his own reputation to save his skin. When bishops are questioning the morality of the prime minister on national news you have to ask how much he will sacrifice for Cummings. He's coming across spineless and weak after working so hard to convince a majority of the country he was strong and decisive!

Wonder why.  What is so great about Cummings that makes him indispensable?  Surely there are others out there who could do the job.   Or  does he have something on Boris?  The mind boggles at this whole situation.

3 minutes ago, Homer said:

How did you find the lifestyle? Where did you live? My wife's big reservation about NZ life is the lack of decent touring gigs, etc. Though I am going to be 44 in two days, so maybe I should start acting my age.

My daughter absolutely loves it in NZ. Her two young kids have a great school, the outdoor life is fantastic though the cost of living is higher, wages are better though. As for gigs, she’s in Auckland and bands do include it in their tours.  On our last visit we just missed seeing Biffy( I await the usual sarcastic comments!) 

3 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

Wonder why.  What is so great about Cummings that makes him indispensable?  Surely there are others out there who could do the job.   Or  does he have something on Boris?  The mind boggles at this whole situation.

His wife’s brother allegedly has strong links with Firtash who allegedly donated millions to the leave campaign and the conservative election campaign.

8 minutes ago, jparx said:

I posted in this thread a while back. A quote from Michael Gove is about 2014 saying 'Boris Johnson isn't up to being PM, he finds it impossible to make big decisions'.

6 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

His wife used to work with Boris and is rumoured to have been on the wrong end of some unwanted Boris attention, maybe it was worse than his usual unconsentual thigh grabbing?

7 minutes ago, Homer said:

I was mostly in Queenstown for my early/mid thirties. Which is it's own little bubble within the NZ bubble. Largely loved it, especially when I first got there. Did start to lose some of its shine a bit the longer I was there. It's not a town people stay for long do hard to make roots. And yeah, hard to get away from the feeling that you are at the end of the earth. Even more so if you weren't in one of the 3 main cities. I mean it's got its own interesting cultural/music scene too though. 

Definitely a fan of the "work to live" rather than "live to work" attitude that kiwis tend to have. Much more my speed.

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

My daughter absolutely loves it in NZ. Her two young kids have a great school, the outdoor life is fantastic though the cost of living is higher, wages are better though. As for gigs, she’s in Auckland and bands do include it in their tours.  On our last visit we just missed seeing Biffy( I await the usual sarcastic comments!) 

Yeah, when my wife was over there and we were apart she went to see some pretty 'random' acts, like Sampha and that band who are a bit like Caribou whose name I can't recall. I said 'I didn't know you liked them?' and she said 'I don't really, I just go and watch anyone who has the decency to make the effort'.

Also, LCD were supposed to play Auckland but had to cancel through lack of ticket sales (sacrilege!).