When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

18 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It's happening *waves arms frantically in the air*

Don’t get too excited, the reason why the Telegraph and Times have taken a half-hostile stance is because their owners desperately want the lockdown completely wrapped up asap as their sales are taking a monster hit (as are their business interests). Since Johnson got ill, he does seem to have taken a more pro-lockout stance, so they’ve been pressuring him by threatening to get increasingly hostile. To be honest I think they’ll happily get rid of Johnson when the opportunity arises (either that or I can eventually see him quitting on health grounds or some such face saving gesture).

At the moment I think those papers will occasionally grumble (as in this situation), but will back off- it’s kind of like a warning shot to get him to drop his lockdown stance.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Don’t get too excited, the reason why the Telegraph and Times have taken a half-hostile stance is because their owners desperately want the lockdown completely wrapped up asap as their sales are taking a monster hit (as are their business interests). Since Johnson got ill, he does seem to have taken a more pro-lockout stance, so they’ve been pressuring him by threatening to get increasingly hostile. To be honest I think they’ll happily get rid of Johnson when the opportunity arises (either that or I can eventually see him quitting on health grounds or some such face saving gesture).

At the moment I think those papers will occasionally grumble (as in this situation), but will back off- it’s kind of like a warning shot to get him to drop his lockdown stance.

From a meta standpoint I want Johnson gone as I think he's the only Tory leader the public will elect with a majority. The short term goal is Johnson gone, then the long term goal is the Tories gone. If that means the goals of the people I'm vested in align with the people like the Telegraph so be it. This isn't the time for purality of principals, see what happened with Corbyn for that.

4 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

I'm enjoying this defence of the indefensible, in a schadenfreude kinda way.

The govt will get shot of Cummings but perhaps not before his behavior mortally wounds them. 

Yeah, the whole point of making people resign in short order is to minimise the political damage to the party. By lining up behind him like this then they're all going to have to absorb the cost.

It's a lot of political capital to spend on such a ballbag.

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah, the whole point of making people resign in short order is to minimise the political damage to the party. By lining up behind him like this then they're all going to have to absorb the cost.

It's a lot of political capital to spend on such a ballbag.

There must be reason to it (from their point of view?).

My best guess is we get a repeat of the Andrew Neil situation  before the election and they just refuse to answer/engage in any debate surrounding it.

I saw a tweet saying how Cummings has got the measure of ‘whining leftie remainers’ (most of us?) but he doesn’t know what he’s letting himself in for now he’s upset the working class.

Brexit Nan will not stand for this after not seeing her grandkids for two months...

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I expect virtually none of them know the true timeline, although Johnson's silence suggests he might have known more about the risks of sticking up for him than everyone else.

I posted this comment before I'd seen the other part of the story!

Edited by semmtexx

4 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Garage into car, drives to other house into garage. Doesn't even go outside.

And again, the law isn't "don't go outside".

I don't think what he did was morally bad, is all. He's a c**t for sure and always has been, but I don't think this is a moral issue, and we get into debating that you lose sight of the real issue, which is he broke the law. A law he helped create. 

And yeah, there's only actually space for one headline here, that's how news stories work. They don't account for nuance either.

Thoughts?

56 minutes ago, Brownie30 said:

Well there's the unsurprisingly bollocks angle the MOS are taking...

Thought the Mail headline was parody. Ladies and Gentlemen this is the Prime minister speaking! No wonder we're so fucked. 

Edited by semmtexx

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

All of Starmer's gains coming from his don't knows. As we were saying the other day, those don't knows are all potential "approve" votes if he plays his cards right...and play them right he has, so far.

Let’s just hope he doesn’t have the audacity to eat a bacon sandwich in an odd way or not have a strong position on brexit. An election in a year or two and we would have a chance but hold out little hope for anything left wing anymore. The way the left deserted Corbyn has really left a mark on me

6 minutes ago, ShakeyCrash said:

Let’s just hope he doesn’t have the audacity to eat a bacon sandwich in an odd way or not have a strong position on brexit. An election in a year or two and we would have a chance but hold out little hope for anything left wing anymore. The way the left deserted Corbyn has really left a mark on me

What do you mean? The centre left?

Typical labour supporters. My Dad, trade union leader, votes Plaid Cymru because he blamed Corbyn for not stopping Brexit. Next doors neighbours dad voted labour all his life and made a comment to me that Corbyn was a traitor for sympathising with terrorists, another friends dad making similar comments.  It became almost a source of apologetic embarrassment from other friends who were saying they voted labour to keep the Tories out. The same friends who were with me when he was on the pyramid. 

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

What do you mean? The centre left?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, priest17 said:

I rate nothing will come of this, this time next week it'll all have moved on. If enough people actually cared about one rule for them, another for us we wouldn't have a Tory government at this point.

I feel the same they will make no apologies for this and push this on, probably will hear about pub openings or a similar distraction soon

49 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Thoughts?

I’ll admit that I didn’t see The Mirror actually having evidence of him breaking the lockdown in Durham, which they held back on releasing, coming.

I vastly underestimated how stupid Cummings had been and how smart The Mirror were being!

16 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I’ll admit that I didn’t see The Mirror actually having evidence of him breaking the lockdown in Durham, which they held back on releasing, coming.

I vastly underestimated how stupid Cummings had been and how smart The Mirror were being!

He's not stupid but he is arrogant. That's his achillies heel and will be his downfall. 

So much for equality and 'leveling up'. 

I'm looking forward to some honest politics with Starmer at the helm. 

Edited by HalfAnIdiot