When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

13 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think labour have been very clever not calling for his resignation, these things have a habit of rumbling on and on, their stance at the moment has been to try and deflect it as safeguarding the children. But it’s not going to go away and the longer it goes on the worse it gets for them. I think rather than immediately call for his resignation it’s instead give them enough rope to hang themselves. 

They have to be cautious here, as they need to build support again. Starmer seems to get this, I think it’s wise he hasn’t actually made a comment today. 

Just now, jparx said:

He has to go if these reports are true. Shapps spent the whole presser saying how Cummings didn't leave the house in Durham etc. It's much harder now to weasel out of it.

Yep, they tried the angle of saying ‘but he did isolate’ and tried to ignore the bit about it being 250 miles away from his actual home. Absolutely no defence if he didn’t isolate even then.

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yep, they tried the angle of saying ‘but he did isolate’ and tried to ignore the bit about it being 250 miles away from his actual home. Absolutely no defence if he didn’t isolate even then.

The thing that baffles me here is that Cummings is a smart bloke (I don't think he's a mega genius like some, but he's obviously calculating), so why did he spend today angrily arguing with reporters when he knew he was apparently out and about around Durham? Seems like these stories, if true, would inevitably get out so why dig yourself in to a bigger hole? Had he apologised and said "look I was worried about my kid. It was a mistake I get that, but it was well intentioned", I think enough people would probably have forgiven him to keep his position and move on.

1 minute ago, jparx said:

The thing that baffles me here is that Cummings is a smart bloke (I don't think he's a mega genius like some, but he's obviously calculating), so why did he spend today angrily arguing with reporters when he knew he was apparently out and about around Durham? Seems like these stories, if true, would inevitably get out so why dig yourself in to a bigger hole? Had he apologised and said "look I was worried about my kid. It was a mistake I get that, but it was well intentioned", I think enough people would probably have forgiven him to keep his position and move on.

Because he doesn’t care, you can see it in that video with the reporters. He has a staggering level of arrogance and it comes across that he believes he’s above the rules that meant for common folk.

1 minute ago, jparx said:

Yes I said as much in an earlier post. He’s clearly intelligent, I don’t doubt the actual motives behind what he did were well intentioned in terms of his child, because I just cant fathom why if they weren’t, he would risk it knowing that if it was discovered he’d be absolutely crucified. So why not just come clean and explain why he did it from the start. He must be smart enough to know that once these things start they don’t stop and it will just snowball out of control.

2 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

I'm not saying they shouldn't sack him, but doing so wouldn't stop him giving advice. 

Agreed, it will be a resignation/sacking in name only. That said it wouldn’t then take much for any ministers that don’t like him to feed the press the little nugget that he’s still advising the government later on down the line, which would be brilliant.

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yes I said as much in an earlier post. He’s clearly intelligent, I don’t doubt the actual motives behind what he did were well intentioned in terms of his child, because I just cant fathom why if they weren’t, he would risk it knowing that if it was discovered he’d be absolutely crucified. So why not just come clean and explain why he did it from the start. He must be smart enough to know that once these things start they don’t stop and it will just snowball out of control.

His arrogance gives him the belief he is above these rules. 

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Agreed, it will be a resignation/sacking in name only. That said it wouldn’t then take much for any ministers that don’t like him to feed the press the little nugget that he’s still advising the government later on down the line, which would be brilliant.

Yeah true. It might prevent him sitting in on those meetings too. 

I also wanna add that if the Mirror have sat on that second breach and knocked the c**t out with a one-two punch then well played. To have Hancock/Sunak/Raab etc all pledge their allegiance to a fucking advisor under the guise of “top family man stuff” and then the Mirror chucks in this football in the groin. This is a gift.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

He also won't be getting paid, and presumably he'll need to do something for income so he won't, in theory, have the same amount of time to put in to planning etc. And yeah not being allowed in key meetings will be good.

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I also wanna add that if the Mirror have sat on that second breach and knocked the c**t out with a one-two punch then well played. To have Hancock/Sunak/Raab etc all pledge their allegiance to a fucking advisor under the guise of “top family man stuff” and then the Mirror chucks in this football in the groin. This is a gift.

Didn't think of that. Great point. 

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

not a fan then OZ :) 

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

He also won't be getting paid, and presumably he'll need to do something for income so he won't, in theory, have the same amount of time to put in to planning etc. And yeah not being allowed in key meetings will be good.

fruit picking ? 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yup. Cummings screwed the cabinet over.