When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

This is the problem with the mood music that's going round.  The whole "social bubble" thing about being able to define an extended social group where you're all allowed to mix isn't a bad idea, and should be relatively safe.  But it's not part of what we're allowed to do yet.  Unsurprisingly, some people have got wind it's coming and mixed that up to think that families can do in and out of each others houses now.

The messaging is a bit of a mess.

Yeah it really is. This is my main issue really, that suddenly everyone seems to think it's fine to mix with different households as much as you like. There's never been the case yet.

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah it really is. This is my main issue really, that suddenly everyone seems to think it's fine to mix with different households as much as you like. There's never been the case yet.

Although to be fair, if you create a "virtual household" that's spread across multiple actual houses, if you pooled shopping, you could probably reduce your actual exposure to the virus.  

3 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah this is kind of my point about the government being at fault really. People might try to take the piss elsewhere, but they get stopped.

I find it bizarre how apparently we are just incapable of having a proper lockdown here (people wouldn't stand for it etc) when plenty of other places have. No idea how people here would cope if they'd had Spain or Italy's restrictions for example. My aunty in Spain left the house once a week for shopping for six weeks or so and that was it. She's allowed out for walks now but a lot of public spaces are still shut. So it can be done if the government can be arsed.

People just wouldn't accept it - they believe the "freedom" the government talks about is for them, when actually it is the "freedom" of the markets to exploit them - that's all the Tories are in place to protect. I honestly think there wouldve been riots if they'd tried anything harsher..

2 hours ago, Cream Soda said:

12 years, wow.  Do we really want to see things go the same way as that in this country though?  I personally don't. 

It's not something that I would wish for either. 12 years is beyond harsh. However, it worked and there's not been a single death from covid-19 reported in Vietnam. However, the paltry financial penalties that our Government did impose were laughable, and not a deterrent. 

1 hour ago, Avalon_Fields said:

What's the chances for BT in September do you reckon? I'm still clinging to a vague hope...

Honestly mate I doubt it'll happen. End of the Road (weekend before) is now cancelled too, and I think soon other September events will follow. Plus two of the headliners are American/Canadian so doubt they'll be coming over for it

9 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Honestly mate I doubt it'll happen. End of the Road (weekend before) is now cancelled too, and I think soon other September events will follow. Plus two of the headliners are American/Canadian so doubt they'll be coming over for it

Agreed sadly.

Best hope now is May 2021

19 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Hull fair (one of the UK’s largest funfairs) now cancelled too- that’s mid October.

Unfortunately any business that is not able to adapt to social distancing regulations is at jeopardy for a long time. I hope that we are able to return to more of a sense of normality next year but even major events next year could well still be at risk.

4 hours ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Blame lies with shit government advice.

I thought the initial advice in March at the start was vague enough to be abused, but they somehow managed to outdo themselves and make the start of lockdown seem like a well orchestrated plan.

Although I find it despicable, I think the guidance is deliberately vague. If/when the second spike comes they can blame it on the population for not abiding by the ‘rules’. It is clear that people are interpreting the rules in very different ways. By leaving it vague they allow themselves wiggle room to eventually blame it on us for not complying, while in turn attempting to maintain the governments reputation. Classic Cummings strategy if you ask me. His messaging around brexit and the lockdown was so effective about achieving the result they wanted, I just don’t believe that they’ve gone from that to now massively cocking up their communications strategy regarding the easing of lockdown. Something much more sinister is at play I fear...

I don’t think we need to get our knickers in a knot over it yet, too early to tell if tons of people gathering on the beaches is going to push cases up significantly or not. Everything suggests being outside is low/minimal risk anyway. Loads of people are on furlough, the weather is amazing, easing had to come at some point. It stands to reason people will head to places like beaches in their droves. The main thing is we’re not all congregating in pubs/restaurants/shopping centres, at festivals, sports matches and crammed into offices are we? 

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I don’t think we need to get our knickers in a knot over it yet, too early to tell if tons of people gathering on the beaches is going to push cases up significantly or not. Everything suggests being outside is low/minimal risk anyway. Loads of people are on furlough, the weather is amazing, easing had to come at some point. It stands to reason people will head to places like beaches in their droves. The main thing is we’re not all congregating in pubs/restaurants/shopping centres, at festivals, sports matches and crammed into offices are we? 

yeah, this.

The worry is autumn/winter time if this virus is still around and starts spreading again...

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

word on twitter street is govt about to do a u-turn on the migrant NHS worker surcharge thing.

Another good job by starmer. He also got them to add care homes to the death toll

Edited by zahidf
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Another good job by starmer. He also got them to add care homes to the death toll

Incredible work by Starmer. Let it not be forgotten that yesterday Johnson refused and made up a figure of £900m as justification. 

2 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Yes, I’m not being realistic. It’s such a shame, after they were so organised in having a fall-back plan.