When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

18 minutes ago, jparx said:

He had a different approach this time for sure. Much more on the offensive. Still not sure he came across well against Starmer, but definitely put up a more competent fight.

That was mainly because he announced the track and trace system will be up and running by June 1st. Otherwise he didn’t have much else, could barely speak at the start. 

Starmers response to Johnson accusing him of being negative was effective.

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

That was mainly because he announced the track and trace system will be up and running by June 1st. Otherwise he didn’t have much else, could barely speak at the start. 

Starmers response to Johnson accusing him of being negative was effective.

Absolutely. I think his demeanour is excellent in those situations. He really comes across like he's not arsed about getting involved in the typical Commons pantomime.

4 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

Yes, they are...but...and here's the rub...would you engage (or encourage them to engage) in behaviour that increased their risk of developing sepsis? Looking at risk in the abstract by comparing how many people die in a particular way misses the point that if you can mitigate that risk, then you should (or at least you can). 

Not knowingly no. And I’m quite happy that Scottish schools aren’t going to be back until at least August. But everything you do carries a degree of risk.

Its kind of an abstract point that I’m trying to make but it’s one I’m seeing more and more. At first a lot of people under reacted, now I think there’s a degree of overreaction. A pervasive fear (deliberately generated by the Media and Government) that, among all the damage Lockdown has done to the Collective Mental Health, is going to be very difficult to shake. Or at least turn into something more sensible

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

I was out drinking the weekend before lockdown and there were so many lads washing their hands like it was a novelty thing to do, be nice if we all stuck to that ahah

Our last gig on 7th March the fella said he'd never seen so many fellas washing their hands!! They didn't do this before?? :huh:

24 minutes ago, jparx said:

Absolutely. I think his demeanour is excellent in those situations. He really comes across like he's not arsed about getting involved in the typical Commons pantomime.

Definitely. His mannerisms at that point, stern point and concise response was what was needed right there. 

3 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Not knowingly no. And I’m quite happy that Scottish schools aren’t going to be back until at least August. But everything you do carries a degree of risk.

Its kind of an abstract point that I’m trying to make but it’s one I’m seeing more and more. At first a lot of people under reacted, now I think there’s a degree of overreaction. A pervasive fear (deliberately generated by the Media and Government) that, among all the damage Lockdown has done to the Collective Mental Health, is going to be very difficult to shake. Or at least turn into something more sensible

Oh listen, I agree with you. The fallout from all of this will have all sorts of unforeseen impacts (and many that have been foreseen). Good, honest, transparent advice on what we can all sensibly do to minimise the risk to ourselves and others is what is needed and there has been some of that but also there has been some hysterical nonsense spouted from some who should know better. I'm glad too that our schools aren't going back until September, though how we will actually manage students when the university reopens is something we are still working on. I guess to an extent, referring to what it will be like once we emerge from "lockdown" as "the new normal" doesn't really capture what it is. Its not normal at all, it's not a "new" normal, and it won't be the new normal for ever either, so it's a bit misleading for the media etc to suggest that life is utterly changed and will never be the same again. It will, it might take some time, but it will. I guess that's the bit I focus on, that this is temporary, even if it's a drawn out affair, it will pass. 

Hope all is good in Glasgow! I did 3.5 years of my postdoctoral training there, loved the place!

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Oliver Dowden at the briefing today, will the PM ever take one again!? Or just when he has positive news to give. 

Tests sent out has gone up and new cases  creeping down too slight fall in deaths too ... I’m taking some positives from today ... pm has had a busy day ... he’s been at pmqs ... he’s now having a rest 

12 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Tests sent out has gone up and new cases  creeping down too slight fall in deaths too ... I’m taking some positives from today ... pm has had a busy day ... he’s been at pmqs ... he’s now having a rest 

The numbers going down is indeed positive news. 

The PM hasn’t been seen since last weeks PMQs, he should be front and centre for the government here. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

The numbers going down is indeed positive news. 

The PM hasn’t been seen since last weeks PMQs, he should be front and centre for the government here. 

Was he not at today’s ? I didn’t watch it ... realised it was on too late 

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Was he not at today’s ? I didn’t watch it ... realised it was on too late 

Yeah he was, sorry I meant he’s been missing last weeks PMQs, shows up for this one then skips today’s briefing. What is he doing!?

22 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yeah he was, sorry I meant he’s been missing last weeks PMQs, shows up for this one then skips today’s briefing. What is he doing!?

The  minister was just chatting about having breaks in the UK and said something along the lines of how he liked them but no one was a bigger advocate of a nice UK stay cation than Boris Johnson so maybe he is just chilling out in an Air Bnb somewhere! 

6 minutes ago, rubenz said:

The  minister was just chatting about having breaks in the UK and said something along the lines of how he liked them but no one was a bigger advocate of a nice UK stay cation than Boris Johnson so maybe he is just chilling out in an Air Bnb somewhere! 

Good point. He has prior for it given that he swanned off on a 2 week holiday in February at the start of this pandemic. 

First sunny day in Cumbria since the relaxing of the rules, and it is much much busier. A lot of people out on Windermere in a variety of craft (not sure sitting behind the wheel of a motor boat is exercise). Small car park near me is full for the first time, not seen more than about 3 cars in there before today,  and quite a few cars in the bigger pay car park. I also had to drive to the next village and the roads are much busier, and a lot more walkers around. All the popular spots around the lake I can see are full of people

We've also had to chase a lot more people away from our site, despite the very obvious barriers and Private signs.