When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

34 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

How can they make up some test numbers  to hit that 200,000 target when they are barely hitting 100,000 .... I don’t think even they will manage to spin this 

Dead Cat Theory. Just you watch.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Why on earth was the penny farthing ever designed?  By all accounts it's terrible to ride, what made somebody think "I know, let's make one massive wheel and one tiny one", that'll be good!

I presume there was some engineering reason, based on current available technology, or maybe it was just someone being a bit daft?

Insane wheelies 

We have just made the decision to delay the wedding. Was meant to be 5th September this year but just can't see a wedding of around 100 people being allowed by then. Would you lot tend to agree with that assumption? I don't want to postpone it needlessly but just finding it hard to see how it can happen...

They offered us mid-Feb or early September (the only dates available! 😲). Gone for September as I can't be dealing with moving it to February then having to move it again!

9 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

We have just made the decision to delay the wedding. Was meant to be 5th September this year but just can't see a wedding of around 100 people being allowed by then. Would you lot tend to agree with that assumption? I don't want to postpone it needlessly but just finding it hard to see how it can happen...

They offered us mid-Feb or early September (the only dates available! 😲). Gone for September as I can't be dealing with moving it to February then having to move it again!

Sorry your having to delay your wedding but think you are probably  right! You deserve to have the day you both planned for! All my best wishes for the future and your married life together! Keep us updated! 

18 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Sorry you’ve had to do that mate but you’ve definitely made the right call. The chances of having gatherings of 100 odd people by September aren’t high. Best to make the change now then have to do it last minute. 

26 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

A sound decision. You need certainty for planning & enjoying your wedding and the longer delay should provide ample time for the current situation to be resolved. On the plus side it will be warmer then than in February too. 

On 5/18/2020 at 12:34 PM, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Absolutely, many examples of that unfortunately and that’s what sticks in people’s minds. Specific stories of young people dying, people that have been left with permanent lung damage/ongoing health issues, people who have been ‘reinfected’. It only takes one story on each to lead to the perception all of those things are widespread issues with the virus.

The stories of those badly affected have been horrible. But they’re in a minority. The story that people were getting reinfected stuck and I saw it being repeated on Twitter today, even though two weeks ago that was debunked as false negatives and every bit of evidence since then has shown infected people have Antibodies. That hasn’t travelled as well. It’s odd. 

44 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I think you've made the right decision. Theres a chance that is might be ALLOWED by then, but whether it should be is another question. It definitely won't be safe by then, especially for older people. 

My mum's friends' daughter has cancelled theirs too for the week before, just because of the worry of older relatives getting ill afterwards. May as well do it when there are no such worries.

9 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

The stories of those badly affected have been horrible. But they’re in a minority. The story that people were getting reinfected stuck and I saw it being repeated on Twitter today, even though two weeks ago that was debunked as false negatives and every bit of evidence since then has shown infected people have Antibodies. That hasn’t travelled as well. It’s odd. 

There are only a few in the media but there are loads here https://www.reddit.com/r/COVID19positive/

I know people posting online aren't always as trusted as media reports, and are generally outliers, but a lot of these cases sound horrible. They also don't sound like they're taken seriously a lot of the time. 

Thanks all @funkychick2007 @Ozanne @Lycra @efcfanwirral

I actually feel like a weight has been lifted as we were just obsessing over it every day, wondering what the social distancing measures would be etc. It seemed like even if it went ahead it would be nothing like a normal wedding anyway.

On the plus side we now have more time to save and we're still going on the honeymoon (now just a holiday) so that's something to look forward to!

25 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I think you've made the right decision. Theres a chance that is might be ALLOWED by then, but whether it should be is another question. It definitely won't be safe by then, especially for older people. 

My mum's friends' daughter has cancelled theirs too for the week before, just because of the worry of older relatives getting ill afterwards. May as well do it when there are no such worries.

There are only a few in the media but there are loads here https://www.reddit.com/r/COVID19positive/

I know people posting online aren't always as trusted as media reports, and are generally outliers, but a lot of these cases sound horrible. They also don't sound like they're taken seriously a lot of the time. 

Yeah as I say, horrible. I wouldn’t ever dream of playing down anybody’s experience. But they are in a minority. We’re close to 5 million known cases worldwide. There’s almost certainly been a lot more on top.

Well that's not exactly reassuring.

BREAKING: Cambridge confirms ‘no face-to-face lectures during the next academic year’

Lectures and exams will be conducted virtually

In an email sent to Senior Tutors today (19th May), it was announced that the University of Cambridge plans to move all “face-to-face lectures” online in the next academic year, 2020/21.

Alice Benton, the Head of Education services, states in the email that the “General Board’s Education Committee” has “agreed that, since it is highly likely that rigid social distancing will be required throughout the next academic year, there will be no face-to-face lectures next year.”

“The decision has been taken to provide a degree of certainty to facilitate Faculties and Departments when planning for educational delivery next academic year”.

Lectures will be live-streamed, recorded and made available on Moodle, while there are plans for lecture theatres to be used for small group teaching in line with social distancing requirements: “Faculties and Departments should continue to plan for face-to-face delivery of seminars, workshops and small group teaching”.

In reference to Michaelmas exams, Benton also notes that it is ‘highly unlikely these examinations will be able to take place in examination halls’. She suggests faculties adapt to this scenario accordingly.

https://thetab.com/uk/cambridge/2020/05/19/cambridge-confirms-no-face-to-face-lectures-during-the-next-academic-year-137712

53 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

There have been 5 million confirmed cases worldwide, so in reality maybe as many as 50 - 100 million, or possibly more. Although some of those reddit posts sound horrible and no doubt there are lasting health issues for some, they are still somewhat in the minority. The millions of people that were largely asymptomatic and had it very mild won’t be making posts about it on Reddit. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Well that's not exactly reassuring.

BREAKING: Cambridge confirms ‘no face-to-face lectures during the next academic year’

Lectures and exams will be conducted virtually

In an email sent to Senior Tutors today (19th May), it was announced that the University of Cambridge plans to move all “face-to-face lectures” online in the next academic year, 2020/21.

Alice Benton, the Head of Education services, states in the email that the “General Board’s Education Committee” has “agreed that, since it is highly likely that rigid social distancing will be required throughout the next academic year, there will be no face-to-face lectures next year.”

“The decision has been taken to provide a degree of certainty to facilitate Faculties and Departments when planning for educational delivery next academic year”.

Lectures will be live-streamed, recorded and made available on Moodle, while there are plans for lecture theatres to be used for small group teaching in line with social distancing requirements: “Faculties and Departments should continue to plan for face-to-face delivery of seminars, workshops and small group teaching”.

In reference to Michaelmas exams, Benton also notes that it is ‘highly unlikely these examinations will be able to take place in examination halls’. She suggests faculties adapt to this scenario accordingly.

https://thetab.com/uk/cambridge/2020/05/19/cambridge-confirms-no-face-to-face-lectures-during-the-next-academic-year-137712

I think that there is an ardument for a reduction in fees under the circumstances. At least bring them down to levels for online study like the OU. 

1 hour ago, MEGABOWL said:

Yeah as I say, horrible. I wouldn’t ever dream of playing down anybody’s experience. But they are in a minority. We’re close to 5 million known cases worldwide. There’s almost certainly been a lot more on top.

You can get that from any illness, if you Google it you’ll hear of the most severe cases. In the U.K. for some reason we don’t publish recovery rates which only adds to the build up of anxiety. 

10 hours ago, zahidf said:

This will be pushed as part of blame the scientist strategy (even though old story it will be pushed forward again I reckon)

16 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Six Premier League players tested positive from three teams!

they weren't all players, at least one was a coach.

14 minutes ago, Bathimp said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/19/uk-government-pandemic

This is a very interesting overview. If only it could get widespread circulation and acknowledgment. 

It is very interesting I read it yesterday like a lot of us on here I presume.

I think front page Guardian is quite a lot of circulation it is not like The Daily Mail are going to run it and if they did their readership would poo-poo it as wishy-washy left wing shit.

11 hours ago, Ozanne said:

You can get that from any illness, if you Google it you’ll hear of the most severe cases. In the U.K. for some reason we don’t publish recovery rates which only adds to the build up of anxiety. 

I believe they’re starting to include Recovery numbers. Worldwide nearly 2 million out of that 5 million Known cases have recovered. Everybody needs to be cautious and sensible but in some quarters it’s getting a bit much. My kids are at just as much risk (probably more) of dying from Sepsis for example.

20 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

Shouldn't be as the antibodies are neutralising antibodies (i.e., they bind to the bit of the virus that interacts with the ACE2 receptor and stops them from infecting cells). So, it's unlikely that it would make the virus more infectious. The investigators didn't see any of this in the study they did (of note, the Oxford vaccine trial that has its first paper under review also didn't see any evidence of disease enhancement after inoculation). 

With so many infections worldwide, is there a chance we could get mutations that would defeat the previous antibody?

44 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

My kids are at just as much risk (probably more) of dying from Sepsis for example.

Yes, they are...but...and here's the rub...would you engage (or encourage them to engage) in behaviour that increased their risk of developing sepsis? Looking at risk in the abstract by comparing how many people die in a particular way misses the point that if you can mitigate that risk, then you should (or at least you can).