When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Simsy said:

It seems weird that I'm going to a glasto forum to get info on this virus, but I suppose that shows what an amazing variety of people love the fest. Your knowledge is greatly appreciated @Toilet Duck 👍

I know - it does seem weird, but I am in the same boat as you as I get more info from here than from the news.  Just found out via @crazyfool1 that NI are allowing groups of 6 to meet outdoors.  Says it all that I would sooner come on here than read the news - some fantastic, well informed posts and great for getting a feel for how people are seeing things.  I don’t really post much on this thread, but most definitely value it for keeping connected with what is going on.  Keep up the great work everyone 👍

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Toilet Duck said:

Ah change it back, I’m stuck with a silly name I picked on a whim about 15 years ago!

I love the fact that I'm getting so much of my information about the biggest, most significant event in my lifetime from someone called Toilet Duck. 

• Upvote 10

34 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I love the fact that I'm getting so much of my information about the biggest, most significant event in my lifetime from someone called Toilet Duck. 

Haha good call. 

Debating like 'well actually, if i can interject - toilet duck from the music festival forum i go on says...'

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, philipsteak said:

Tbf, mostly on here I’m just shooting the breeze about the merits of Goan fish curry vs tartiflette and sausage. It only seems weird now cos it’s serious! (Goan fish curry and Le grande bouffe are dead serious topics too mind you). 😁

my daughter has taken to calling me Prof Von Drake in an odd convergence of worlds! (She loves Mickey Mouse)...

32 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Oh God... He gets worse every day.

With the groups of six in N Ireland, do they still have to stay 2m apart from each other?

Yes - still 2m apart.

4 teenage girls laughing and giggling in next doors back garden tonight - obviously friends who haven’t seen each other in a couple of months.  They made quite a racket but it was lovely to hear - tentative signs of some sort of normality getter nearer. 😄🤞

8 hours ago, Purple aki squat said:

Lying, probably. Full of shit, definitely.

It suppresses inflammation associated with the virus. If he hasn’t tested positive then why say he’s taking it. Moron.

I don’t think he’s a moron actually, he’s playing a very deliberate game. He’s either taking hydoxy for a particular reason or lying to seem like he’s doing something and with the people. It’s all part of his re-election plan. He’s definitely a dick though. 

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

I don’t think he’s a moron actually, he’s playing a very deliberate game. He’s either taking hydoxy for a particular reason or lying to seem like he’s doing something and with the people. It’s all part of his re-election plan. He’s definitely a dick though. 

I think the simple answer is that he knows he has an entire industry of media which run after him and clean up any mess he makes. It’s alright, they will find a way to present him as a smart man.

Morning folks...latest update in CoV news...Excellent paper from a team at Peking University published a couple of days ago in Cell (for the non-scientists out there, if the New England Journal of Medicine is the pinnacle of Medical research, Cell is top dog for Biology). This one has been peer reviewed (since lack of this has been used as a stick for other studies!). What they have done is characterised neutralising antibodies from convalescing COVID patients. This used to take for ever and was not something that could be done during the early stages of a pandemic, but they have used the advances in single cell sequencing that have become more readily available over the last while to trawl through the bits of B cells that make antibodies and find those that target the virus. They found 14 directed against the ACE2 binding region of the virus, the best of which showed very strong activity in a mouse model (genetically engineered to express the human ACE2 receptor...not a natural model, but better than some other in vitro studies that used non-human cells with "ACE2-like" receptors). When the mice were treated with the antibodies, it reduced viral load by a massive amount. Not only that, but it worked prophylactically too (ie, given before the mice were exposed to the virus, it protected them from infection). They identified a number of antibodies, all directed against the same part of the virus, but to slightly different parts, meaning that combinations them would still kill the virus if the virus mutated bits of itself to avoids being killed by one of them. Early days, but convalescent plasma therapy has been shown to work (just not feasible to get the large amounts of plasma needed to treat everybody), and now that we know what the antibodies themselves look like, manufacturing synthetic ones is possible. The team have pushed this new antibody forward into a clinical trial already (we use antibody-based drugs for loads of diseases, so it's not a new approach, just the target is new this time). 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

He's got nothing to lose in saying he's taking it. Is he lying? Almost definitely, but who's gonna prove him wrong? And in saying he's taking it and remaining corona-free he gets to take the high ground by making people (well, his idiot followers) believe he was right all along in it being some kind of miracle cure.

3 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Morning folks...latest update in CoV news...Excellent paper from a team at Peking University published a couple of days ago in Cell (for the non-scientists out there, if the New England Journal of Medicine is the pinnacle of Medical research, Cell is top dog for Biology). This one has been peer reviewed (since lack of this has been used as a stick for other studies!). What they have done is characterised neutralising antibodies from convalescing COVID patients. This used to take for ever and was not something that could be done during the early stages of a pandemic, but they have used the advances in single cell sequencing that have become more readily available over the last while to trawl through the bits of B cells that make antibodies and find those that target the virus. They found 14 directed against the ACE2 binding region of the virus, the best of which showed very strong activity in a mouse model (genetically engineered to express the human ACE2 receptor...not a natural model, but better than some other in vitro studies that used non-human cells with "ACE2-like" receptors). When the mice were treated with the antibodies, it reduced viral load by a massive amount. Not only that, but it worked prophylactically too (ie, given before the mice were exposed to the virus, it protected them from infection). They identified a number of antibodies, all directed against the same part of the virus, but to slightly different parts, meaning that combinations them would still kill the virus if the virus mutated bits of itself to avoids being killed by one of them. Early days, but convalescent plasma therapy has been shown to work (just not feasible to get the large amounts of plasma needed to treat everybody), and now that we know what the antibodies themselves look like, manufacturing synthetic ones is possible. The team have pushed this new antibody forward into a clinical trial already (we use antibody-based drugs for loads of diseases, so it's not a new approach, just the target is new this time). 

no idea what that all means...but I think it's positive....except for the poor mice.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

no idea what that all means...but I think it's positive....except for the poor mice.

Basically it means that we now know what the antibodies our immune systems make to fight off the virus look like. So we can manufacture them and use them as drugs! (Not exactly cheap drugs though!)...

Edited by Toilet Duck

23 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Basically it means that we now know what the antibodies our immune systems make to fight off the virus look like. So we can manufacture them and use them as drugs! (Not exactly cheap drugs though!)...

ok, ta. Is manufacturing synthetic antibodies normal?

57 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

The 64B$ question - how quickly do you expect this treatment to get through trials + manufacturing?  I.e. when can we start using it?

EDIT:  and how widespread could the use of said drugs be?

Edited by stuartbert two hats

1 hour ago, Toilet Duck said:

Will probably be cheaper than making 8 billion vaccine shots which Bill Gates says is the only answer to this.

39 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

They should just have school summer holidays early this year, and start next term early...in August some time?

There is talk of that apparently round my area, according to parents at my work. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

There is talk of that apparently round my area, according to parents at my work. 

It makes sense...if they want to have this test/trace thing up and running properly before they start sending kids back to school. It's not as if anyone can go on holiday this year anyway.