When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I do 100% appreciate all of that, as I said I understand why they have laid it out like that and what they are trying to do. They don’t want people going there and causing this type of issue in the first place and this is an attempt to discourage people, it makes sense. I think sometimes though there is a risk with Covid of chucking the baby out with the bath water. Taking it to my own extreme nth degree, it’s like somebody stepping off the pavement to maintain two metres and getting run over by a lorry. 

Fair enough, but for me it's about whether taking the risk is justified. You 'have' to go to the shop/work (possibly)/run an errand/other necessary thing, so you have to walk along that pavement and try to do it safely. Although, you know, watch out for the lorry. You don't 'have' to drive across the country to visit a national park. I appreciate people might want to and I appreciate how lucky I am, but it's a bad, unnecessary idea. And Wales and Scotland agree

5 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Fair enough, but for me it's about whether taking the risk is justified. You 'have' to go to the shop/work (possibly)/run an errand/other necessary thing, so you have to walk along that pavement and try to do it safely. Although, you know, watch out for the lorry. You don't 'have' to drive across the country to visit a national park. I appreciate people might want to and I appreciate how lucky I am, but it's a bad, unnecessary idea. And Wales and Scotland agree

Yeah it’s clearly a bad idea, the overall message is still stay at home as much as possible so I don’t see how driving far to go walk up the mountains is worth any risk. Surely to stay in your local area is much more sensible. 

30 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yeah it’s clearly a bad idea, the overall message is still stay at home as much as possible so I don’t see how driving far to go walk up the mountains is worth any risk. Surely to stay in your local area is much more sensible. 

but also how much threat is there from it? Unless everyone went to the same mountain?

Everything now takes a backseat to a hard Brexit. The deadline for an extension is 30th June and Johnson just need to keep his backers happy by getting that over the line. And using this all as as much of a smokescreen as possible, and to try and hide the economic damage.

11 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

but also how much threat is there from it? Unless everyone went to the same mountain?

In my opinion it’s adding unnecessary risk to the area, why do people need to go there to exercise? Just exercise in your area and stay inside as much as you can especially when case numbers are still as high as they are. 

18 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

(Some of us) live in a country on a very dangerous path right now. 

What will happen when people see a full parliament not social distancing? Clearly lockdown is very much over then as people will think it's ok to be that close to others.

Not to mention it makes a mockery of "if you can work from home you should", and sets the opposite example again, likely encouraging bosses to call office workers back to work who don't need to be there. All so they can shout down questions from the opposition and Boris can play to his braying crowd again and stray even further from answering any questions.

Boris pulled a test target number out his arse and they're getting volunteers to risk infection to meet his targets.

And the civil service bit pushes it closer to nobody ever being able to do anything about it.  

England is an absolute joke of a country. 

My wife works for a very large UK company and they have zero intention of opening their head office, there’s absolutely no point. Everyone who isn’t on furlough is more than capable of doing their jobs from home. Opening offices just makes more of a headache for employers.

we have got to a point where the economy needs businesses to get back to work, we need to pay for the furlough scheme somehow. For the public sector to get the funding it needs then the private sector needs to be up and running. 

the country simply can’t afford to sit at home watching Netflix on 80% pay.

7 minutes ago, Homer said:

Everything now takes a backseat to a hard Brexit. The deadline for an extension is 30th June and Johnson just need to keep his backers happy by getting that over the line. And using this all as as much of a smokescreen as possible, and to try and hide the economic damage.

Well that won't be difficult, the economic fallout from corona will be incredible, Brexit is now an irrelevance, why people are still fighting this lost battle when there is a far more worrying future ahead of us in or out of the EU is beyond me.

23 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

You should see Snowdon on a nice day, it’s rammed. Climbed it last year as training for the Inca trail, it was heaving with people to the point where there was a queue at the top.

the issue with people all heading off to beauty spot is the increased numbers using local facilities like shops, petrol stations etc. At least the pubs and restaurants are closed.

3 minutes ago, Smeble said:

You should see Snowdon on a nice day, it’s rammed. Climbed it last year as training for the Inca trail, it was heaving with people to the point where there was a queue at the top.

the issue with people all heading off to beauty spot is the increased numbers using local facilities like shops, petrol stations etc. At least the pubs and restaurants are closed.

They have also closed the public toilets in these places to put people off, just something to consider before you set off.

13 minutes ago, Smeble said:

My wife works for a very large UK company and they have zero intention of opening their head office, there’s absolutely no point. Everyone who isn’t on furlough is more than capable of doing their jobs from home. Opening offices just makes more of a headache for employers.

we have got to a point where the economy needs businesses to get back to work, we need to pay for the furlough scheme somehow. For the public sector to get the funding it needs then the private sector needs to be up and running. 

Yep, I said much the same. Nobody who doesn’t need their employees in the office wants them there at the moment, I think the opposite problem is far more likely right now. One worrying thing a friend who works in recruitment told me is that a number of big companies such as banks etc, based in London are not even renewing leases if they’re due in the near future, and have no plans to return to an office until 2021.

21 minutes ago, Smeble said:

I agree completely - in our man made economy that's how it has to be. 

I hope the deaths are worth it. Government gets a free pass and will be voted in next time for "saving the economy" from a situation they created by not dealing with it properly in the first place. Lovely country 

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yep, I said much the same. Nobody who doesn’t need their employees in the office wants them there at the moment, I think the opposite problem is far more likely right now. One worrying thing a friend who works in recruitment told me is that a number of big companies such as banks etc, based in London are not even renewing leases if they’re due in the near future, and have no plans to return to an office until 2021.

I know of a couple of places who want them back asap unfortunately 

21 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Out of interest does she work for a bank, cause I do?

11 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

That’s falling into the good vs evil trap. Like a decimated economy won’t cause years of misery hardship and death either.

True - its just a shame that because we messed up so badly at first, we have to accept excess deaths for the duration of this. We'll never get the numbers down to a level testing and tracing will work (not least because it'll take too many out of work) so we've set in that path now. We obviously can't afford to keep going as we are, so we've essentially blown it 

32 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

There will be a lot of companies who realise they don’t need quite as many employees as they thought they did, that’s the danger of an extended furlough scheme.

34 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I agree completely - in our man made economy that's how it has to be. 

I hope the deaths are worth it. Government gets a free pass and will be voted in next time for "saving the economy" from a situation they created by not dealing with it properly in the first place. Lovely country 

So everyone should stay at home, until when? The end of the year? Next year? The year after? Meanwhile the private sector collapses, reduced taxes collected,  no more NHS. It’s got fuck all to do with a ‘lovely country’ or the government getting a free pass, and everything to do with reality. The world can only pause for so long. We long ago decided hundreds of thousands dying each year from influenza was acceptable, at some point the same decision will be taken with covid 19. If we don’t then there’s no more economy. 

• Upvote 5