When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

31 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Despite my best efforts - I locked myself down more than I week before the official date, I picked up the virus around 12 days ago. It’s more likely to have been from a contaminated surface I think. Maybe at Boots picking up a prescription. Never been closer than 3-4 metres from anyone. I’ve had a dreadful 7 days and only starting to tell people about it now, when I think I’m getting better. Worst was two days veering from puddles of sweat to violent shivering. 

I’ll share a little moment, maybe it will resonate with someone, maybe it’s just embarrassing: in the middle of one night last week I accepted that if I was to die I was ok with that and I wasn’t afraid anymore. It was the most spiritually uplifting moment of my life. 

Bloody hell ... good to hear you are on the upward path .. all the best for a continued recovery x x x

1 hour ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Despite my best efforts - I locked myself down more than I week before the official date, I picked up the virus around 12 days ago. It’s more likely to have been from a contaminated surface I think. Maybe at Boots picking up a prescription. Never been closer than 3-4 metres from anyone. I’ve had a dreadful 7 days and only starting to tell people about it now, when I think I’m getting better. Worst was two days veering from puddles of sweat to violent shivering. 

I’ll share a little moment, maybe it will resonate with someone, maybe it’s just embarrassing: in the middle of one night last week I accepted that if I was to die I was ok with that and I wasn’t afraid anymore. It was the most spiritually uplifting moment of my life. 

I’m glad you are starting to feel better!

So glad your on the mend! After a couple of days of watching out the window when working from home  and see people out and about in groups it reminds me we still need to be careful and this virus is still very real! But we can beat it by being sensible! Stay safe and look after yourself! 

3 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

America say they have approved one for use

Will be interesting to see the results of a widespread set of tests in the UK. 

Wow that sounds awful. And after you were being so careful as well. 

Did you get all the expected breathing symptoms, cough etc or was it more fever based? 

2 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

So glad you're starting to get better Avalon, sounds like a very scary,  (and profound) experience.  Thank you for sharing how you felt;  in all this crap,  reaching that level of peace and acceptance seems very life-affirming. 

(Some of us) live in a country on a very dangerous path right now. 

What will happen when people see a full parliament not social distancing? Clearly lockdown is very much over then as people will think it's ok to be that close to others.

Not to mention it makes a mockery of "if you can work from home you should", and sets the opposite example again, likely encouraging bosses to call office workers back to work who don't need to be there. All so they can shout down questions from the opposition and Boris can play to his braying crowd again and stray even further from answering any questions.

Boris pulled a test target number out his arse and they're getting volunteers to risk infection to meet his targets.

And the civil service bit pushes it closer to nobody ever being able to do anything about it.  

England is an absolute joke of a country. 

Edited by efcfanwirral
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Will be interesting to see the results of a widespread set of tests in the UK. 

Wow that sounds awful. And after you were being so careful as well. 

Did you get all the expected breathing symptoms, cough etc or was it more fever based? 

Thanks everyone 

the cough and the fever. No breathing issues so I wasn’t at risk of hospitalisation. Luckily my lungs have always been strong. 

• Upvote 6

7 hours ago, august1 said:

freezing public sector pay according to the telegraph, I don't remember it being defrosted since austerity..

Wonder if it'll include MP's pay this time, or just doctors, teachers etc.

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Right, I'm off out to sunbathe all day.

I went for a walk round the local park yesterday, and it was packed with sunbathers, drinking parties, kids playing together, etc, etc.

6 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

(Some of us) live in a country on a very dangerous path right now. 

What will happen when people see a full parliament not social distancing? Clearly lockdown is very much over then as people will think it's ok to be that close to others.

Not to mention it makes a mockery of "if you can work from home you should", and sets the opposite example again, likely encouraging bosses to call office workers back to work who don't need to be there. All so they can shout down questions from the opposition and Boris can play to his braying crowd again and stray even further from answering any questions.

Boris pulled a test target number out his arse and they're getting volunteers to risk infection to meet his targets.

And the civil service bit pushes it closer to nobody ever being able to do anything about it.  

England is an absolute joke of a country. 

I understand the point you’re making and I don’t disagree with it, however... there really isn’t much of a widespread desire for businesses who operate from offices who have staff that can easily work from home to get back in the offfice, at least not from what I’ve heard and experienced. I know a lot of big businesses in London aren’t planning for a return to work until 2021. Don’t forget in a lot of cases it was businesses who jumped the shark on the government and made their employees WFH while the government was still saying it was ok.

If a large office gets its employees back in, as soon as a couple of members of staff get it that’s going to be a significantly worse outcome for them than simply continuing to wfh.

I'm not excusing the government or saying there won’t be examples of it, but where it’s not required there really is no great desire for it to happen anytime soon.

Everyone around here is worried there's going to be a massive influx of people into the Lake District. Typical, that it's a nice (but chilly) day today. I don't think it's going to be as bad as people are worried about. Certainly nothing like the weekend before lock down, which was like a bank holiday, utter madness. A lot of people are still worried about going out. People were coming anyway before the relaxation. I think a fair percentage of people who'll come would have come anyway, it's just now they are allowed to. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's stupid and that people shouldn't come, I just don't think it's going to be too bad.

I live next to the main road through the lakes, so will see how correct I am later

2 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Thanks everyone 

the cough and the fever. No breathing issues so I wasn’t at risk of hospitalisation. Luckily my lungs have always been strong. 

Glad you're on the mend. I'm fairly sure I had it, but other way round to you. No fever but a mix of a lot of the other symptoms, the worse one by far being breathing problems, Probably for about 12 days. Never to the point where I felt in danger but definitely a problem. I have very mild asthma so I get like that when I have a bad cold, but I've never had it for that length of time. Other symptoms were pretty mild though so other than the breathing I didn't feel particularly "ill" 

36 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Everyone around here is worried there's going to be a massive influx of people into the Lake District. Typical, that it's a nice (but chilly) day today. I don't think it's going to be as bad as people are worried about. Certainly nothing like the weekend before lock down, which was like a bank holiday, utter madness. A lot of people are still worried about going out. People were coming anyway before the relaxation. I think a fair percentage of people who'll come would have come anyway, it's just now they are allowed to. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's stupid and that people shouldn't come, I just don't think it's going to be too bad.

I live next to the main road through the lakes, so will see how correct I am later

Ugh - winds me up, my parents live up there and moved plans to see them at Easter to next week, and now need to move again, because we're silly enough to obey the rules...

Realistically visiting all these different places shouldn’t be an issue, as long as it’s only with your own household. It’s likely that some places will still get very busy, but as all the evidence suggests this is not where the risk is. It’s even doubtful there is much risk in places like the supermarkets, the major spread happens in enclosed spaces over an extended period. There are even situations where people in the same household have not got it, but even so this is where the risk is - being cramped together inside for extended periods.

Where the new changes all fall down is if people go to these places and meet up in large groups with other households and friends etc, which unfortunately is bound to happen. As with most things it’s generally a small minority being selfish that ruin it for everyone.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

11 hours ago, august1 said:

freezing public sector pay according to the telegraph, I don't remember it being defrosted since austerity..

Can't imagine that would be very popular seeing as many have had to keep working through all this shit.
Think will have to mean tax rises, which also will be very unpopular! Maybe we could just pay this debt off over a very long period though...?

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tubes-trains-crowded-first-day-22018176

I feel for those people, the anxiety would be horrible. There must be better planning in place.

Our numbers aren't anywhere near low enough for a "back to work" push, but as long as the NHS isn't overwhelmed then the government won't care as long as people do it