When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

34 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

So what's to stop my employer from firing loads of people in August? 

Not a great deal.  In fact, I'd be concerned about the immediate future.

Speculation isn't great from a business point of view, especially when the previous promises have turned out to not be exactly true. 

35 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It's a bit different, as if they had just cut it from 80% to 60% or 50%, plenty of employers would just tell people to take furlough at 50% wage or face redundancy, knowing they didn't have many options. This acknowledges that actually, while most can cope on 80% of their salary, a lot of people, especially low paid employees, can't live on 50% salary. It forces companies to actually pay something to retain people. 

I don't think the government expected the companies to top up their employees at all, if they had any faith in that they probably would have started the furlough at a lower percentage of our wages. Especially since when they first announced the scheme many companies had just mass-fired their employees already. Including my job (Cineworld) Who have been shocking to their employees in all this. First of all they have always treated us like shit, giving permanent employees zero hour contracts until you get promoted into a very limited amount of higher positions, then they'll take every excuse to cut your hours. Last year we had the highest grossing blockbuster of all time Endgame and cineworlds highest foot traffic in the U.K but as soon as it slightly died down they were cutting hours drastically. Then obviously most employees we sacked/ made redundant or offered 40-60 percent of wages to stay working in management. Then they announced a hardship fund that never happened then they only paid us 80 percent without top up only to a week and a bit later, let everyone know they'd been overpaid and would be getting doubly less next month after some would have already spent more money on food or in my case helped my self employed housemate with our bills. So i fully expect for them to sack us (again) or offer only the small amount the government is offering. 

I know it is difficult to do international comparisons of death rates of Covid 19 due to differences in measurement, but I am surprised that the “excess death" rate is not discussed more. This has been recorded by 24 european countries since 2015 and records the total number of deaths certified in each country, from this they calculate a 5 year average mortality rate.
Unfortunately they only show the combined total of the 24 countries as a number. The individual countries get rated as a Z score, which I believe is a multiple of Standard Deviation above the normal. 
This would indicate the UK (England) has a higher than normal excess death rate way beyond the other countries and for a longer continued period. I picked three others as comparison, but all 24 countries are on the website. I believe week 18 takes us up to the end of April. I have seen articles stating that our excess deaths are around 10k per week with a  3.5k gap above normal rate not recorded as Covid 19.

CBDA2B65-E540-416C-A76E-0B863C029738.png

1 hour ago, Smeble said:

Lol the only way they can win the league is to be given it. The wait to win goes on.

They have absolutely run away with the league this year. 25 points ahead and the only team to have qualified for Europe.

Liverpool fully deserve the title and if others want to undermine it because they’re bitter then that’s up to them but I’m going to enjoy it.

4 minutes ago, Dave85radiohead said:

They have absolutely run away with the league this year. 25 points ahead and the only team to have qualified for Europe.

Liverpool fully deserve the title and if others want to undermine it because they’re bitter then that’s up to them but I’m going to enjoy it.

Whilst it's true that Liverpool would certainly have won the title under normal circumstances it is also true that whatever happens they will not be winning it under normal circumstances and people will remember that. You don't need to be bitter or have an axe to grind to see that. It's a shame but hardly the worst consequence of the pandemic.

11 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Whilst it's true that Liverpool would certainly have won the title under normal circumstances it is also true that whatever happens they will not be winning it under normal circumstances and people will remember that. You don't need to be bitter or have an axe to grind to see that. It's a shame but hardly the worst consequence of the pandemic.

Of course it’s not the worst cause of the pandemic.No one suggested it was.

Its true that this has been an unusual season but it doesn’t mean the title isn’t deserved or hasn’t been won on merit and that is my point.

Liverpool have been the top team over the last two years and some people seem (not all) are desperate for the season to be voided just so Liverpool don’t win the league. 

It was the same with VAR. Last year Liverpool we’re going to get found out by it but this year we’re only winning because of it. It’s nonsense.

I wonder whether or not Aston Villa Bournemouth and West Ham will want the season to restart now  it has been confirmed there will be relegation on a points per game basis or if they will still call for no more matches. 

Edited by Dave85radiohead

2 hours ago, Cream Soda said:

I think I'm probably a bit lax when it comes to cleaning and stuff.  I wouldn't bother wiping chairs etc.  I'd just take care to wash my hands and not touch my face.  But I guess its personal choice, I know some people wipe their shopping down and change their clothes etc, but I haven't been doing that either.

I do that along with shoes off at the door! or I leave goods in an containment area not to be touch for several days...it's like a military operation when I come back from the shop :unsure:

I'm pleased furlough is being extended as surely had to especially for hospitality sectors.... what I'm not liking is people presuming that people of furlough (from actual jobs they have I may add) are scroungers or workshy - most of us have no bloody choice FFS!!

I work for a clothing retailer that trades mainly from stores and they are all bloody shut, so how the frig can I do my job?? I just hope it comes back as already had 2 huge runs of unemployment over the last 2 years (which used up all redundancy I had as a buffer), so don't really want to be facing a 3rd one :( 

21 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Back up to 600+ deaths today 

Yep and latest ONS stats showing 40K have died from Covid up until 1st May, with an actual increase of care home covid deaths from previous week :( 

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

With reading gone has the entire festival season been cancelled now?

Possibly, Bearded Theory still on for Sept so far - they have said they will review/advise July/Aug time but I'd be surprised if it goes ahead tbh

Edited by shoptildrop

Just now, Cream Soda said:

I think if it makes you feel more secure then do it by all means.  Coughing/sneezing etc within close range of each other is the main method of transmission though so I'm not sure how effective some of these measures are, but I guess it can't hurt.  

Also speech/breathing is another main method transmission, for those infected but asymptomatic.

2 hours ago, Smeble said:

The party needs to win me round, for me they are the party I should vote for but struggle to do so. They give with one hand and take away with the other. Now comrade Corbin is gone hopefully they will improve.

Yet the Tories don’t need to win you round? Even after all this?