When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

So I've just read this in an article on the Guardian:

"The minister also clarified it was possible to see one parent and then another outdoors “10 minutes apart” but that giving people social hugs would only be possible after a treatment or vaccine would be found, which at the earliest could be in the autumn."

This has just felt like a knife right through me. I've kept telling myself I'll be able to visit my parents, give them a hug, maybe by June, okay, July.. okay then August. I honestly cannot cope with this. 

...Okay after writing that I went on a bit of a crying jag for half an hour or so without ever posting. More stories have appeared about this now, seeming to suggest that the "social hug" refers to "members of the public" (but aren't we all?) and "new friends". I can live with that. I don't think I'll be making many new friends in the next few months anyway.

I'll be hugging once we get to the next stage in June.  If you're going to someone's house, its impossible to not get infected if they have it IMO. 

1 minute ago, Cream Soda said:

If you kept your distance, didn't touch much and washed your hands afterwards I'd have thought it was perfectly possible not to catch it?

It's more that the 2 metres isnt a magic distance which prevents infection, it just reduces the risk. The risk assessment isnt changed much IMO from going to someone's house and giving them a hug

10 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

So I've just read this in an article on the Guardian:

"The minister also clarified it was possible to see one parent and then another outdoors “10 minutes apart” but that giving people social hugs would only be possible after a treatment or vaccine would be found, which at the earliest could be in the autumn."

This has just felt like a knife right through me. I've kept telling myself I'll be able to visit my parents, give them a hug, maybe by June, okay, July.. okay then August. I honestly cannot cope with this. 

...Okay after writing that I went on a bit of a crying jag for half an hour or so without ever posting. More stories have appeared about this now, seeming to suggest that the "social hug" refers to "members of the public" (but aren't we all?) and "new friends". I can live with that. I don't think I'll be making many new friends in the next few months anyway.

That’s all complete bollocks ... (the quoted bit ) what difference is it going to make ? People’s parents presumably live together in most cases ... so as long as you don’t hug ... surely seeing them in a garden or at the same time whilst distancing makes no difference !! There is absolutely no science here they are just making it up 

I worked in a locally well respected pub about 10 years ago for a few months after I’d been made redundant.

the head chef used to get us to put stickers on pre-prepped pies/mash/veg etc to show when it should be used by which was adhering to health guidelines/rules.

however if we didn’t sell it by the day on the sticker he would get us to swap it for another day so we could continue to try and sell it. Some of the stuff was sat there for over a week and then being sold as fresh.

I think if a lot of us knew what went on in restaurant kitchens we wouldn’t eat in a lot of them.

8 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I worked in a locally well respected pub about 10 years ago for a few months after I’d been made redundant.

the head chef used to get us to put stickers on pre-prepped pies/mash/veg etc to show when it should be used by which was adhering to health guidelines/rules.

however if we didn’t sell it by the day on the sticker he would get us to swap it for another day so we could continue to try and sell it. Some of the stuff was sat there for over a week and then being sold as fresh.

I think if a lot of us knew what went on in restaurant kitchens we wouldn’t eat in a lot of them.

what is pub

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

If you kept your distance, didn't touch much and washed your hands afterwards I'd have thought it was perfectly possible not to catch it?

It's possible but not simple - "don't touch much" is tricky as you probably need to, for example, sit down. So disinfecting any chairs before and after you use them, washing clothes, shoes and hands once you get back home... making home visits safe is possible but so difficult and so reliant on people not going "well can't be bothered with that" that it's not worth making it an option.

97610241_10158097312780801_4335611778407858176_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=WZDvtbgAZwgAX9DUDPm&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=f0361de09f547413dbf30a15d30a782a&oe=5EDE44E7

Some the scheme is still being cut after july just in a way that they can announce that it isnt being cut by putting all responsibility on the businesses to pay this furlough and not just can their employees, the very thing a lot of businesses did before the scheme was announced. 

This extension announcement. is just to stop bad press around this aspect, in reality nothing much has changed they are still cutting in july and the scheme would have always had to last longer than july anyway in some form.

15 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

97610241_10158097312780801_4335611778407858176_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=WZDvtbgAZwgAX9DUDPm&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=f0361de09f547413dbf30a15d30a782a&oe=5EDE44E7

Some the scheme is still being cut after july just in a way that they can announce that it isnt being cut by putting all responsibility on the businesses to pay this furlough and not just can their employees, the very thing a lot of businesses did before the scheme was announced. 

This extension announcement. is just to stop bad press around this aspect, in reality nothing much has changed they are still cutting in july and the scheme would have always had to last longer than july anyway in some form.

Got a link to that article?

6 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/furlough-extension-explained-how-cut-22013797 it is the mirror but don't see much reason it wouldn't be accurate. Seems like the governement might introducelaws against dumping employees on furlough

Surely the whole point of furlough was that some businesses couldn't afford to pay salaries without going bust themselves? What will have changed by July for those businesses given they haven't been able to operate in the meantime?

18 hours ago, Ozanne said:

He's got 4 years to win you round.

The party needs to win me round, for me they are the party I should vote for but struggle to do so. They give with one hand and take away with the other. Now comrade Corbin is gone hopefully they will improve.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

I’d just like to add that some restaurants do strictly adhere to the rules too.

I used to manage a bar in a yacht club, I often did a shift in the kitchen for cover, busy periods, events & to check on some of the younger staff as a few were under 18.

Head chef was ex-Army, learnt his trade in Ireland & Germany. I was always disappointed to throw food away but my god if something was out of date or labelled/dated wrongly in his kitchen you got a severe dressing down. Fortunately due to a government scheme we were signed up to staff got free lunch & dinners so any expenses were claimed back & wow I loved sirloin steak Thursday.

15 hours ago, Dave85radiohead said:

At last some good news.

The FA have pretty much confirmed that Liverpool will get their league title 🥳

Lol the only way they can win the league is to be given it. The wait to win goes on.

8 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Lol the only way they can win the league is to be given it. The wait to win goes on.

So by what convoluted way did you think they were not going to win it ? We actually don’t know if they will mathematically win it yet ? With closed doors fixtures still possible ... the only thing in question there would have been then record points tally 

56 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

It's a bit different, as if they had just cut it from 80% to 60% or 50%, plenty of employers would just tell people to take furlough at 50% wage or face redundancy, knowing they didn't have many options. This acknowledges that actually, while most can cope on 80% of their salary, a lot of people, especially low paid employees, can't live on 50% salary. It forces companies to actually pay something to retain people. [To be honest, I think when the government announced the scheme they expected most companies to top up the 20% to keep people on full wages anyway - I think they've been surprised by how few have done that]. 

16 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Surely the whole point of furlough was that some businesses couldn't afford to pay salaries without going bust themselves? What will have changed by July for those businesses given they haven't been able to operate in the meantime?

Businesses that can't operate at all are just a very small section of companies using the furlough scheme though. Many companies are using it because they've seen demand for services fall off a cliff. They've needed to drastically reduce what they spend as they're getting much less income. But many of these employees could still work (from home) and in many cases there is still some demand for services, just much less than previously. Additionally, many companies are very worried about the long term economic impact and are using the furlough scheme quite aggressively to make large short term savings, in the hope of building up the capital so they can keep running (and keep everyone employed) in the longer term. It's sort of an easy choice at the moment because it's cost-free.