When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

9 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm sorry that the English parliament makes so many decisions for its seemingly more enlightened neighbours.

Edit: re reading that the tone wasn't clear - I'm attempting to express personal shame for my country. Not sure if my response came over a bit glib/dismissive? That wasn't my intent.

I can’t see why they have loosened it in England, they say they’re following the science but I’m not so sure. 

5 hours ago, Smeble said:

This is the problem with devolution. I can’t for the life of me think why something like this is a devolved issue. We are either a United  Kingdom  or we aren’t. Wishy washy in the middle helps nobody. Unfortunately the devolved nations only like to be part of the UK when it suits them. I’m a firm believer in the UK but it’s untenable now, devolution is the beginning of the end of the UK. 

It’s a tricky one isn’t it? I may be wrong but I believe at first Wales and Scotland (not sure on Ni) were following the government advice but Scotland, and now Wales, have started using their own rules as they seem to disagree with the governments advice.

I can understand why they’ve done it. 

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I get that, I’ve woken up in a foul mood today because of this. Also on my FB if you dare criticise you just get patronised, I got accused of not understand what the PM was saying. 

Yeah, that's the line they're going with; "If you don't understand it, it's because you're too thick". 

I'm seriously just so gutted this morning. I knew it wasn't going to be any time soon that I was going to be "allowed" to go and visit and stay with my parents (ages 59 and 61, not at any other particular risk) but this is all just going on so much longer than I naively anticipated when it started. I thought, three months likely, six months worst case scenario. But with these wishy washy rules I feel like they're never going to actually come out and say "You are now allowed to travel and visit with your family in another part of the country" - and if they ever did I probably wouldn't trust that it is a wise thing to do!

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I get that, I’ve woken up in a foul mood today because of this. Also on my FB if you dare criticise you just get patronised, I got accused of not understand what the PM was saying. 

Yeah I've seen a bit of this. People pointing out the vagueness of the message (which I feel was deliberate) seem to be accused of being too thick to understand it. It's mad how much people seem to want to blindly support this government.

I'm guessing if we have to get two or three forms of public transport to see our parents then that's basically out for the foreseeable? I suppose we could hire a car and drive to a park near them?

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’ve just realised my parents have an open green space in front of their house ... I reckon that counts as a park ... there’s a slide and swings on there so it has to be 

You have to meet them one at a time though i guess... one has to hide in a Bush and then they swap!

1 minute ago, Dave85radiohead said:

I really think that one of their main priorities now is to use coronavirus as a chance to push through a no deal Brexit whilst everyone is distracted and grieving the dead.

Nail/head.

9 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’ve just realised my parents have an open green space in front of their house ... I reckon that counts as a park ... there’s a slide and swings on there so it has to be 

The thing is most people are quite rightly going to say sod it if you think it's safe for me to work in a building with strangers for your benefit then I can meet my parents/friends/(whomever they are closest to) for my benefit. At this stage whilst we know it's not advisable it is kind of hard to disagree with anyone who takes that position. 

Robert Leroy Mercer (born July 11, 1946)[2] is an American billionaire hedge fund manager, former principal investor in the now-defunct Cambridge Analytica[3], computer scientist who was an early artificial intelligence researcher and developer, and former co-CEO of the hedge fund company Renaissance Technologies.[2][4][5]

Mercer played a key role in the campaign for the United Kingdom to leave the European Union by donating data analytics services to Nigel Farage.[6] He is also a major funder of organizations supporting right-wing political causes in the United States, such as Breitbart News[7] and Donald Trump's 2016 campaign for president.

Mercer was an activist in the campaign for the United Kingdom to end its membership of the European Union, also known as Brexit. Andy Wigmore, communications director of Leave.EU, said that Mercer donated the services of data analytics firm Cambridge Analytica to Nigel Farage, the head of the United Kingdom Independence Party (UKIP). The firm was able to advise Leave.EU through its ability to harvest data from people's Facebook profiles in order to target them with individualized persuasive messages to vote for Brexit. It's been reported that Cambridge Analytica also has undisclosed links to Canadian digital firm AggregateIQ, which also played a pivotal role in Dominic Cummings' VoteLeave campaign, where he delivered an estimated one billion individually curated targeted adverts to voters in the lead up to the Brexit referendum, in contravention of established voting rules. Both VoteLeave and Leave.EU did not inform the UK electoral commission of the donation despite the fact that a law demands that all donations valued over £7,500 must be reported. In 2018, the Electoral Commission found the VoteLeave campaign guilty of breaking electoral law

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

So I can’t go and sit in my parents garden whilst social distancing at more than 2m  despite me and them isolating ... but I can meet one of my parents to go for a walk around the park whilst exhaling air in their face ? Now to decide if it’s mum or dad I choose !! 

on radio earlier Raab said you could meet both parents.

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Ffs ... why can’t I meet them where it is safer in their garden ? Without hugs !! 

Not everyone has a garden between them, so my guess it would be unfair to say you can meet your parents in their garden for those who don’t have the option.

Everyone has the option to meet in the park or a convenient public place.

Also even with the best intentions it’s likely to increase the risk that you actually end up going into the house, use cutlery, touch door knobs, use the toilet etc.

But I’d say just use your common sense people, if you or your parents/family have a big garden and you can safely practice social distancing then just do it. You will know if you’re keeping both of you safe or not.

Bur overall I’m not sure what all the fuss is about. All studies have shown that the main risk of spread comes from sustained contact in enclosed spaces, pubs households, care homes etc. As long as people are sensible, don’t gather in big groups from other households, keep two metres apart then this allows some relaxation with a very very low risk of additional spread. The R0 should still stay below 1 so hopefully another three weeks of cases falling and then things can be relaxed a little bit more again. 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

The only thing that is clear from Boris is that he still wants Herd Immunity. Seems as though we may reach that through utter negligence and needless death. We need the antibody test, they should be pushing for that rather than forcing people back out before that. 

5 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

The only thing that is clear from Boris is that he still wants Herd Immunity. Seems as though we may reach that through utter negligence and needless death. We need the antibody test, they should be pushing for that rather than forcing people back out before that. 

Maybe I’m missing something but I’m not sure I get that? You can go out and exercise if you want to, you don’t have to. If you can’t work from home you can go back to work, presumably if you don’t want to and you’re employed you can be furloughed? If you’re self employed then presumably you want to be able to go back to work ASAP?

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Maybe I’m missing something but I’m not sure I get that? You can go out and exercise if you want to, you don’t have to. If you can’t work from home you can go back to work, presumably if you don’t want to and you’re employed you can be furloughed? If you’re self employed then presumably you want to be able to go back to work ASAP?

Well none of what he said is clear but when I tried to decipher it it seems as though within the next few weeks more and more people will be going to work, then the primary schools and then the secondary schools which in turn means others will be back at work etc. How can they plan for these scenarios when they have no reliable antibody test yet? My point is they should be pushing for those and then make these plans. I'm sure there would be no issue in people going to work if they have already had it. 

1 minute ago, Doug85 said:

Well none of what he said is clear but when I tried to decipher it it seems as though within the next few weeks more and more people will be going to work, then the primary schools and then the secondary schools which in turn means others will be back at work etc. How can they plan for these scenarios when they have no reliable antibody test yet? My point is they should be pushing for those and then make these plans. I'm sure there would be no issue in people going to work if they have already had it. 

I’d agree we need an antibody test (and a reliable accurate one at that) ASAP. 

22 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Not everyone has a garden between them, so my guess it would be unfair to say you can meet your parents in their garden for those who don’t have the option.

Everyone has the option to meet in the park or a convenient public place.

Also even with the best intentions it’s likely to increase the risk that you actually end up going into the house, use cutlery, touch door knobs, use the toilet etc.

But I’d say just use your common sense people, if you or your parents/family have a big garden and you can safely practice social distancing then just do it. You will know if you’re keeping both of you safe or not.

Bur overall I’m not sure what all the fuss is about. All studies have shown that the main risk of spread comes from sustained contact in enclosed spaces, pubs households, care homes etc. As long as people are sensible, don’t gather in big groups from other households, keep two metres apart then this allows some relaxation with a very very low risk of additional spread. The R0 should still stay below 1 so hopefully another three weeks of cases falling and then things can be relaxed a little bit more again. 

The ‘fuss’ has come from the governments poor communication and poor overall message. It gives differing groups differing things that they can do.

You’re kind of doing it here, putting any confusion onto the people are steering it away from the government. For once can’t you admit that the governments handling of this has been bad. 

17 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yes, I think you are missing something...

"presumably if you don’t want to and you’re employed you can be furloughed?"

This is the bit. I think many people will find themselves being pressured to returned to work by companies that want to start trading again, even though the situation for staff won't be at all safe. The furlough scheme only works if the company supports it and I expect many will rather get back to work. It's unfair, possibly criminal, but I bet it will happen widely.

I'm no economist, so if there's one in the house, I'd really appreciate some education. Here's my question:

I'm imagining that the vast majority of UK hospitality (and I include entertainment and the arts in that), is (a) shut and (b) would normally get a lot of it's revenue from UK based people. Those UK based people aren't spending that money, but presumably that money still exists. e.g. the money I would have spent in the pub, at concerts, festivals, holidays - is all still in my pocket. So is there a mechanism whereby all the lucky sods (like me) who are able to work from home can be taxed to pay for the unlucky sods who can't work? I'm not talking about voluntary donations, I'm talking about some form of PAYE thing which would say "hey, lucky arse, you worked normally all during the virus, so you get to pay".

Can the recession/unfairness be mitigated by extracting the unspent cash from the white collars? 

Or is my economics really awful?