When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Must admit the scenes around my neighbourhood yesterday were so great to see.

Everyone enjoying themselves keeping responsibly apart.

I know there are numerous who will be breaking the rules which is shitty but for me yesterday does show that you can still have fun whilst ensuring yours and your neighbours safety.

Just struggle to understand why as a nation if there was an easement so that you could do the same with your friends people would be so against it?

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

I know there are numerous who will be breaking the rules which is shitty but for me yesterday does show that you can still have fun whilst ensuring yours and your neighbours safety.

Just struggle to understand why as a nation if there was an easement so that you could do the same with your friends people would be so against it?

Yeah the idea of what was going on yesterday was great, and people having safe fun is always good. But I think it was worrying to see how many people think the lockdown is over. My friend works in morrisons overheard people saying they were glad its all over now. There were ice cream trucks and food stalls all over my town centre. In my neighbouring village on my hour exercise I saw dozens of vunerable people wondering about, people sharing food drinks. Then online you see stuff like cosham and conga lines. I think that theres a misconception that people are jealous when they see this stuff, annoyed that they arent doing the same. But if people are breaking lockdown this much before anyhing is announced, imagine how irresponsible people will be when boris announces easing. We are heading for another peak. - I'd love to see my friends and might try to in a responsible way if they announce we can go an exercise 2 m apart with friends. But I fully see us reverting back to this pretty quickly if we are breaking the rules so much already

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Smeble said:

Chatting with someone I haven’t seen in a while, from a safe distance, apparently there was a huge spike in cases in Bridport in Dorset just after the lockdown began due to London second homers all descending on the area in the days before the lockdown began.🙄🙄 can’t blame them I suppose, I’d not want to get stuck in London during a lockdown if I didn’t have to. It does show what can happen with mass migration across the country. 

Same thing happened with people fleeing to holiday homes in Wales, selfish pricks.

2 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Because people are selfish, did you see what it was like before the lockdown? Take the evening they announced pubs would close at midnight, they asked people not to go to them that evening but many pubs were swamped with people that viewed it was one last session.

• Like 1

If anything I think the lockdown should get stricter on Monday with the way people were acting yesterday. On a street around the corner from me a party in the middle of road of about 30 people, not making any effort to social distance whatsoever, partying, drinking and their kids were even zooming around in go karts too. Just really p***ed me off because when some people try so hard to isolate themselves to protect others, other selfish people go out there and break the rules and counteract all the people who have been doing their bit. 

The 14 day quarantine being introduced almost seems like a punishment for uk citizens not sticking to lockdown, now no one can go on an abroad holiday this year anymore.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

You do surprise me.

I'm just beyond fed up of people acting selfishly and the amount of stupidity the UK has to offer. The more people who stick to lockdown, the lower the R0 and the more efficient the exit strategy to get the economy back up and running.

The reason the exit strategy is going to be so cautious is because of the catastrophic amount of deaths, so now the government want to be super cautious after what's happened. People don't stick to social distancing in this country and that's more likely to cause a large second wave, which is why the government have to act so cautiously now.

In some other countries e.g. Germany, Austria, Poland, residents stick to the social distancing put in place, wear masks on public transport and in shops and follow government advice. It doesn't help that government advice was so poor here to start off with, but once some restrictions are put in, it's even less helpful that people don't stick to them. These other countries have been able to start getting their economies back up and running again due to compliance from their citizens and a good sense of community spirit.

In the UK it honestly feels like everyone just wants to infect each other with this thing. One minute people are clapping for key workers, and the next minute they are hosting massive street parties. Completely contradictory behaviour.

I'm just like everyone else, I want to get back to normal as soon as possible, but the quickest way to do that is by making sure you are following social distancing advice and sticking to the current lockdown measures, as this is the only way we can decrease transmission of the virus.

14 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I'm just beyond fed up of people acting selfishly and the amount of stupidity the UK has to offer..

Oh I don't disagree, but as is often the case we should be looking to enforce the laws we already have rather than introducing ever more draconian ones. Giving up more freedoms should never be offered easily. 

23 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I thought people were abiding by lockdown restrictions more than government expected?

There's an article on BBC which takes a sample of 2000 13-24 year old's and asks them if they were sticking to lockdown restrictions. Half of the men aged 19-24 had broken the lockdown, and 25% of women also admitted to breaking the lockdown. Won't ever know if these are fudged statistics though. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52587368

Certainly, yesterday, a large proportion of the nation broke lockdown. Singing, dancing, drinking, partying in the roads with no social distancing whatsoever. Public singing (e.g. in churches) is banned in Germany as it's thought this can spread the virus faster.

21 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Oh I don't disagree, but as is often the case we should be looking to enforce the laws we already have rather than introducing ever more draconian ones. Giving up more freedoms should never be offered easily. 

Perhaps a better choice of words should have been "I don't think the restrictions should be lifted anytime soon".

I look at other countries' approach to this outbreak and then I look at ours (the UK) and I am just beyond disappointed with the diabolical approach from not only the government, but also the attitude of everyone in the country as well. It's just like people don't care that thousands of vulnerable people have died from this nasty virus and no one seems bothered to protect them.Where I live there's been a hairdresser going round to people's houses to cut their hair without any PPE etc, and it's actually completely devastating as she picked up the virus from one of these clients she was illegally cutting their hair and this resulted in passing the virus on to her husband who actually died from it. Yes, in some it's a mild case but for others it is lethal.

I am actually jealous of all these other European countries starting to reopen their economy again, but this is due to their own sensible actions in the first place. Unfortunately, the UK is nowhere near ready to start letting things reopen again, and the exit plan is going to have to be extremely cautious to prevent a large second peak.

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

...and this R rate has been pushed up by again what is happening in care homes....isn't that a separate issue to the wider public?

I wouldn't say so. The R rate going up in care homes is particularly concerning and means we need to be more careful in the wider public, as an increase in the R0 in the wider public could filtrate into the care homes which could boost the R0 in care homes even more. 

1 hour ago, FestivalJamie said:

Perhaps a better choice of words should have been "I don't think the restrictions should be lifted anytime soon".

I look at other countries' approach to this outbreak and then I look at ours (the UK) and I am just beyond disappointed with the diabolical approach from not only the government, but also the attitude of everyone in the country as well. It's just like people don't care that thousands of vulnerable people have died from this nasty virus and no one seems bothered to protect them.Where I live there's been a hairdresser going round to people's houses to cut their hair without any PPE etc, and it's actually completely devastating as she picked up the virus from one of these clients she was illegally cutting their hair and this resulted in passing the virus on to her husband who actually died from it. Yes, in some it's a mild case but for others it is lethal.

I am actually jealous of all these other European countries starting to reopen their economy again, but this is due to their own sensible actions in the first place. Unfortunately, the UK is nowhere near ready to start letting things reopen again, and the exit plan is going to have to be extremely cautious to prevent a large second peak.

The situation is bad enough without the hyperbole.  I don't know how many people in this country are not observing the lockdown, but it's far from everyone.  I live in one of the most touristy towns in the country, in an area second only to London for visitor numbers and it's very quiet.  I saw nothing of any attempts at street parties yesterday (not to say there were none, but not of our street).

The government have made mistakes, big, big mistakes and many people have died. Like yourself, I'm appalled at that.

There is an argument that the behaviour of those who aren't abiding is reason for a loosening of some of the rules - lock them down more and they'll just flaunt it regardless.  Throw them a bone, a glimmer of light, and they may stick with it.

I don't know, and I'm glad it's not my call.  Until I'm told otherwise, I'll stay where I am and hope what we're released into offers us the chance to get earning again.

2 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

I don't know, and I'm glad it's not my call.  Until I'm told otherwise, I'll stay where I am and hope what we're released into offers us the chance to get earning again.

This has been very hard for me as well. I quit my job for the end of march (before lockdown was announced) to go and start working in Germany in April. Obviously, due to their restrictions there I haven't been able to go across as the business hasn't been up and running yet.

The business is starting to get up and running again and they have a staff recall for just under 2 weeks time, however I have not been called upon, and my job hangs in the balance at the moment.

Its a really unfortunate situation as it's left me unemployed without any source of income and I'm sure its the same for many others. It's not an ideal situation and one that we need to try and slowly move out of.

2 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

This has been very hard for me as well. I quit my job for the end of march (before lockdown was announced) to go and start working in Germany in April. Obviously, due to their restrictions there I haven't been able to go across as the business hasn't been up and running yet.

The business is starting to get up and running again and they have a staff recall for just under 2 weeks time, however I have not been called upon, and my job hangs in the balance at the moment.

Its a really unfortunate situation as it's left me unemployed without any source of income and I'm sure its the same for many others. It's not an ideal situation and one that we need to try and slowly move out of.

Aw man, that's a really bad set of circumstances and I'm sorry to read it.  I hope it works out for you.  There's a lot of people who have fallen through the gaps re employment and earnings over this.  It's going to get messy before it gets better.

All the best.

2 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

There's an article on BBC which takes a sample of 2000 13-24 year old's and asks them if they were sticking to lockdown restrictions. Half of the men aged 19-24 had broken the lockdown, and 25% of women also admitted to breaking the lockdown. Won't ever know if these are fudged statistics though. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52587368

Certainly, yesterday, a large proportion of the nation broke lockdown. Singing, dancing, drinking, partying in the roads with no social distancing whatsoever. Public singing (e.g. in churches) is banned in Germany as it's thought this can spread the virus faster.

I wouldn't say so. The R rate going up in care homes is particularly concerning and means we need to be more careful in the wider public, as an increase in the R0 in the wider public could filtrate into the care homes which could boost the R0 in care homes even more. 

The take up of lockdown has actually been one of the more positive aspects of our country’s handling of this. I can’t remember the exact figures but seem to remember reading that models for lockdown were based on 75% of people complying, whereas actually it has been closer to 90-95%. Yes it is starting to fray a bit now but that was always bound to happen eventually and is not something that is only happening in this country (remember pre lockdown the govt saying they wanted to delay lockdown as they were worried about people suffering lockdown fatigue? - just to add I think we should have locked down earlier than we did). Other countries have been detaining people for breaking social distancing too, it’s just that we only hear about the uk in the MSM because that’s where we are! I’m obviously not condoning those who are starting to break lockdown but the longer this goes on then the chance of people breaking it increases.

Regarding your care homes point, now that this has (albeit far too late) been realised as a problem area, then this should be able to be contained far more easily than the spread in the wider community, as the only people coming in/out will be the staff. Therefore, if regular testing is done properly and efficiently (a big ‘if’ given this governments track record), then hopefully this should be easier to manage. Whether the govt get their act together to do this is another matter, but assuming that they do, then the R0 figure being higher in care homes shouldn’t act as a massive hindrance in the relaxation of measures in the wider community where the R0 is lower.