When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

What was the response Oz ? 

Johnson said Starmer was right to pay tribute to the work done on this last week and then said the ambition is to get testing up to 200,000 a day by the end of this month, and then go even higher.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Glasto 2021?  It's funny to think I'm less confident about that festival going ahead than I was about 2020 at the start of Feb.

Must say I’ve had concerns about next year too. Wonder when they actually begin to need guarantees in place about things? Suspect they would try and act as normal as possible for as long as possible. 

3 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

Must say I’ve had concerns about next year too. Wonder when they actually begin to need guarantees in place about things? Suspect they would try and act as normal as possible for as long as possible. 

They can leave it as late as they did this year ... depending on what restrictions have been put in place ... if there are restrictions announced for over 100,000 people for next 6 months including June they would call it off whenever this is announced ... I’m firmly in the 50/50 camp :) 

On 5/5/2020 at 1:00 PM, zahidf said:

Yup

Wow didn’t realise Cheltenham race course and Westminster bridge had the capacity for the whole country, who knew. I have no idea who James Felton is but he seems a prick.

• Downvote 2

I've no idea who he is either. But he does have a couple of points there. A naive nation not understanding what was coming our way even if it was shoved in our face every day on the news. It gets worse...a government that thought "we should just take it on the chin"!

And the Westminster clapathon...I'd go one step further there and say it was absolutely shameful of our emergency services to pack themselves together for photo opportunities while the country needed them. I'm referring to the police here, at a point of the crisis where they should have been doing a million other things. Transporting ppe around the country being one perhaps?

7 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Glasto 2021?  It's funny to think I'm less confident about that festival going ahead than I was about 2020 at the start of Feb.

There was a thread on here with a poll asking something like ‘How confident are you that Glastonbury will go ahead this year?’ and there was quite a bit of optimism in mid March.

8 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Glastonbury will be 100% happening ... does anyone know where to get 200,000 of these ? 6036FAAE-22DD-4093-AB8D-A19104474730.thumb.png.a230795b2a21e7271afe397cc643ba86.png

*trying not to poison this thread with Foals comments*

Surely he doesn’t need the money modelling? He released two albums last year.

I woke up very concerned today. Yesterday we had 4,406 new confirmed cases and 693 new deaths, which is higher than any country in mainland Europe right now. When the news leaked that lockdown would be eased, I thought it was going to be a gradual reopening of more non-essential shops and businesses, construction sites, public buildings, but still heavily enforcing social distancing and stay at home orders. I thought it would be a marginal improvement but not a real noticeable difference. It now looks like this is going further than I expected, and Boris is looking to tell Brits they can have picnics & unlimited outdoor exercise from Monday as lockdown is relaxed as well. No doubt this means now that people will be visiting others, meeting up in larger groups, and probably putting this whole thing to the back of their mind. I’m worried vulnerable people are being put to unnecessary risk to curb to pressure from bored, ill-educated, and opportunistic twitter bots and public commentators who get a hard on for Trump’s America where swathes of the population beg on their knees to go back to work.

I’m worried we are rushing to catch up or overtake mainland Europe who are (if you look at the facts) nowhere close to easing lockdown measures such as this. People in Spain and Italy are only now being allowed to exercise. However, because it’s being reported as an easing of the lockdown, and attention is being drawn to the British government to do something too because so many of us are completely devoid of nuance, or reading between the lines. I’m worried that there is pressure to release lockdown because simply it looks bad if Britain isn’t doing it and other countries are. This is regardless of whether Britain is ready for such thing.

I have very little trust in the government at the moment. They, and many others, denied this was a problem right up until they couldn’t say it was anymore. Then, they had the audacity to try and say that they considered it a problem all along. We are now the worst affected country in Europe and virtually no British media is allowing this to be portrayed as the case. They are playing into the fact that a lot of people are fatigued about this and probably don’t care. They don’t want attention to be drawn to the government who ill prepared us. While some countries locked down early as a precaution, were were just told to wash our hands and then ridiculed when we’d attend a public gathering. I didn’t sign up to live in North Korea, criticism of the government and scrutiny of their failed measures is not treason, and the leader is not supreme.

It makes the government look like they consider the British population a Petri dish. It feels like the government is willingly walking into a second wave to try and deter attention that we are the worst affected country in Europe. I don’t trust that these new measures will be thought out well at all, and I’m deeply concerned about the knee jerk reactions that are going to come off the back of it. A second wave would put us up to Christmas and face the risk of cancelling the entirety of next summer to. To those whose immediate response is “well the British Public won’t stand for it”, “bunch of rubbish”, or “they’d never go that far here” - think about the last time you thought that and what actually happened.

Just some thoughts...over and out. I’m worried more unnecessary deaths are going to come from this governments desire to look ahead of the curve when they are really trailing behind. :) 

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 7

If there is scientific evidence to back up the fact we could soon be allowed outside for prolonged periods then I dont think you can go ham at the government for allowing this?

Of course this is coupled with the caveat of remaining socially distanced if visiting friends / family in an outdoor environment so the responsibility to do so is on the individual not the government.

You keep people couped up for to long and it'll lead to even more unrest than we are seeing at the moment.

I dunno, the mooted changes seem very gentle, and the key point of the lockdown looks like it'll remain largely intact. I'm not too concerned about being allowed out your house more, more construction work continuing and maybe garden centres opening. It's about as gentle as you can ease the restrictions. I've not seen any talk of small shops, hairdressers etc. which would be the bigger worries. 

This isn't throwing the doors wide open, and while no easing of restrictions will be zero risk, this seems extremely low.

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

If there is scientific evidence to back up the fact we could soon be allowed outside for prolonged periods then I dont think you can go ham at the government for allowing this?

Of course this is coupled with the caveat of remaining socially distanced if visiting friends / family in an outdoor environment so the responsibility to do so is on the individual not the government.

You keep people couped up for to long and it'll lead to even more unrest than we are seeing at the moment.

Aye. These changes all specifically relate to outdoor activity as well, and we know that carries the lowest risk, again with all the social distancing caveats. There may be an argument as well that gentle changes will keep the country more on board with the general social distancing measures if they can see we're making some small progress. Might make the general restrictions more effective for longer.

49 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I woke up very concerned today. Yesterday we had 4,406 new confirmed cases and 693 new deaths, which is higher than any country in mainland Europe right now. When the news leaked that lockdown would be eased, I thought it was going to be a gradual reopening of more non-essential shops and businesses, construction sites, public buildings, but still heavily enforcing social distancing and stay at home orders. I thought it would be a marginal improvement but not a real noticeable difference. It now looks like this is going further than I expected, and Boris is looking to tell Brits they can have picnics & unlimited outdoor exercise from Monday as lockdown is relaxed as well. No doubt this means now that people will be visiting others, meeting up in larger groups, and probably putting this whole thing to the back of their mind. I’m worried vulnerable people are being put to unnecessary risk to curb to pressure from bored, ill-educated, and opportunistic twitter bots and public commentators who get a hard on for Trump’s America where swathes of the population beg on their knees to go back to work.

I’m worried we are rushing to catch up or overtake mainland Europe who are (if you look at the facts) nowhere close to easing lockdown measures such as this. People in Spain and Italy are only now being allowed to exercise. However, because it’s being reported as an easing of the lockdown, and attention is being drawn to the British government to do something too because so many of us are completely devoid of nuance, or reading between the lines. I’m worried that there is pressure to release lockdown because simply it looks bad if Britain isn’t doing it and other countries are. This is regardless of whether Britain is ready for such thing.

I have very little trust in the government at the moment. They, and many others, denied this was a problem right up until they couldn’t say it was anymore. Then, they had the audacity to try and say that they considered it a problem all along. We are now the worst affected country in Europe and virtually no British media is allowing this to be portrayed as the case. They are playing into the fact that a lot of people are fatigued about this and probably don’t care. They don’t want attention to be drawn to the government who ill prepared us. While some countries locked down early as a precaution, were were just told to wash our hands and then ridiculed when we’d attend a public gathering. I didn’t sign up to live in North Korea, criticism of the government and scrutiny of their failed measures is not treason, and the leader is not supreme.

It makes the government look like they consider the British population a Petri dish. It feels like the government is willingly walking into a second wave to try and deter attention that we are the worst affected country in Europe. I don’t trust that these new measures will be thought out well at all, and I’m deeply concerned about the knee jerk reactions that are going to come off the back of it. A second wave would put us up to Christmas and face the risk of cancelling the entirety of next summer to. To those whose immediate response is “well the British Public won’t stand for it”, “bunch of rubbish”, or “they’d never go that far here” - think about the last time you thought that and what actually happened.

Just some thoughts...over and out. I’m worried more unnecessary deaths are going to come from this governments desire to look ahead of the curve when they are really trailing behind. :) 

I think you're bang on with a lot of this actually. Reports of the lockdown easing in Spain and Italy essentially mean their lockdown being downgraded to our current one. My aunty in Spain went out for the first time for anything other than a weekly shop in six weeks the other day. That's nothing like what we've been doing.

I share your concerns. Personally I don't think our behaviour is going to change much for a while, despite the guidance. We'd have to take public transport to see any friends or family and I just don't think we will for a bit yet.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

Told my flatmate he needs to stop having his friends over because it's putting me at risk and breaking the lockdown. Ignores me, keeps having his friends over. It's almost everyday and they stay in the communal areas.

Told the block manager about it and she was understanding. She emailed all the residents advising them that other people should not be entering the flats while lockdown is in place. She also called him personally to tell him to stop.

But did he stop? Nope, instead he's now just waiting til it's late to bring his friends round. Heard them all whispering as they came in at 2am, no doubt thinking I was asleep. Wrong! 🙄

5 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I think you're bang on with a lot of this actually. Reports of the lockdown easing in Spain and Italy essentially mean their lockdown being downgraded to our current one. My aunty in Spain went out for the first time for anything other than a weekly shop in six weeks the other day. That's nothing like what we've been doing.

I share your concerns. Personally I don't think our behaviour is going to change much for a while, despite the guidance. We'd have to take public transport to see any friends or family and I just don't think we will for a bit yet.

I kind of agree too, how can they consider an eating off the lockdown when the numbers are still comparable to previous levels?

People are stupid and are twats. They’ll see any easing of the lockdown and now just ignore the new guidelines. Staying 2 meters apart from people not from your household, some will not do that. 

2 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Told my flatmate he needs to stop having his friends over because it's putting me at risk and breaking the lockdown. Ignores me, keeps having his friends over. It's almost everyday and they stay in the communal areas.

Told the block manager about it and she was understanding. She emailed all the residents advising them that other people should not be entering the flats while lockdown is in place. She also called him personally to tell him to stop.

But did he stop? Nope, instead he's now just waiting til it's late to bring his friends round. Heard them all whispering as they came in at 2am, no doubt thinking I was asleep. Wrong! 🙄

That's some bullshit dude. I'd be really pissed off if I were you. But then I don't see what more you can do.

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I kind of agree too, how can they consider an eating off the lockdown when the numbers are still comparable to previous levels?

People are stupid and are twats. They’ll see any easing of the lockdown and now just ignore the new guidelines. Staying 2 meters apart from people not from your household, some will not do that. 

Yeah that's what I think too. People are already starting to take it less seriously from what I can see. Deaths are still insanely high. The government has fucked up most of this so far, so I don't particularly trust their guidance now either I'm afraid.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

That's fucking infuriating. Have you tried calling the police? Or changing the locks...

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

If the R0 is currently below 1, which I believe it is (somewhere around 0.7) Then allowing picnics and longer exercise will probably still keep it below 1. Obviously if it doesn’t then the changes will be unwound, but they’re small enough changes that it won’t matter.

We've got to start somewhere and these are tiny steps towards it.

The argument I’m making is that we are making these steps too early and making it too easy for things to get bad again. If you read my post I’m not protesting more businesses being open but complying with social distancing, I’m concerned about this stupid guidelines that people can go back to normal but remain 2m apart. It’s fucking stupid. Anyone who doesn’t consider themselves vulnerable or frankly care if they are endangering others will just stop giving a shit.