When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

10 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I know everyone that doesn't do their own hair is desperate for the hairdressers to reopen, but it doesn't strike me as particularly safe, what with all that physical contact. Is this something that's happening in other countries reopening or just wishful thinking?

I’m gonna stay clear for a while ... the queues will be ridiculous for starters and the last thing I want to be doing is waiting in queues ... it’s those numbers I see as more as a risk than the hairdressers ... hopefully mine will be wearing a mask 

Just now, Ayrshire Chris said:

4936DDF7-B371-4ECF-AFC2-CF0629709C31.jpeg.d023a1e8622b471d72461b9168610a25.jpeg

I know it’s not important in the middle of this awful crisis but god almighty,  I miss a cold pub pulled pint whilst sitting in a quiet beer garden! 

its not important but it actually is , part of a fabric of this country and bringing happy times ...

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

its not important but it actually is , part of a fabric of this country and bringing happy times ...

My memory goes to the Crown in Pilton, out the back is a few rickety tables in amongst trees,  and enjoying a few pints after wandering across the hallowed ground.  I will be back! 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

My memory goes to the Crown in Pilton, out the back is a few rickety tables in amongst trees,  and enjoying a few pints after wandering across the hallowed ground.  I will be back! 

if any pubs reopen anytime soon ( which is highly doubtful ) im not sure any beer gardens will be quiet ...... even those that once were ...

1 minute ago, morph100 said:

I really enjoyed my mini keg on my birthday, but I do go through it rather quickly.

ive still got distant hopes for something resembling a get together for mine .... if not im going to be having an efest pre glastonbury party on here ...

Just before lockdown our hairdresser was literally having one person in at a time a disinfecting everything between each customer - so there are ways to do it!

12 minutes ago, amfy said:

Just before lockdown our hairdresser was literally having one person in at a time a disinfecting everything between each customer - so there are ways to do it!

It's the close proximity that gets me - surely them catching it is inevitable, then worst case scenario is asymptomatic transmission. 

2 hours ago, morph100 said:

I really enjoyed my mini keg on my birthday, but I do go through it rather quickly.

I have drank an insane amount of beer the past few weeks. The sun was the main reason, was just sat out each evening - slowed down this week 

I ordered from Love Lane brewery in Liverpool - aiming to make these last. That's definitely a way people can help their favourite breweries in this, by ordering from them if possible..they've got a great bar in the Baltic Quarter and I'd love it if they're still around after this.

Edited by efcfanwirral
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I have drank an insane amount of beer the past few weeks. The sun was the main reason, was just sat out each evening - slowed down this week 

I ordered from Love Lane brewery in Liverpool - aiming to make these last. That's definitely a way people can help their favourite breweries in this, by ordering from them if possible..they've got a great bar in the Baltic Quarter and I'd love it if they're still around after this.

I posted earlier about missing a pub pint but like you I have been getting through the cans with all this decent weather. Also not having to drive anywhere leaves you free to drink that bit more! 

28 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

It's the close proximity that gets me - surely them catching it is inevitable, then worst case scenario is asymptomatic transmission. 

Appointment only, both wear masks and gloves, everything disinfected between customers. It can work.

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

It's difficult though...if they ease some restrictions for certain businesses/age groups/areas that's just going to piss off those with restrictions not being eased.

Well for businesses as long as they continue the support they're doing that's not a problem. For individuals... it's trickier but maybe not in the way you think. The point of easing restrictions is to start to get more people catching it so building up that immunity, while not overwhelming the NHS by having too many people catch it.

If a few people don't like and also go out and get themselves sick, then it's not a huge deal.  

22 hours ago, jparx said:

I'd be curious for @SwedgeAntilles's take on that. I'd certainly trust his account over ITV news.

Missed this yesterday!

So again, you have to take my input as being purely anecdotal and remember that I've been fortunate enough to a) be able to work remotely from the end of February b) don't have any kids c) am in my late 30s so didn't have much of a social life prior to covid arriving, so the scenes on ITV could be genuine and have just passed me by. For us, and most of our friends, family and co-workers that we speak to, it continues to be business as usual. That's WFH, avoiding public transport, shopping for the essentials, avoiding the city centre, avoiding busy pubs & restaurants. However (and much like the UK) the good weather last weekend did bring people out and it was noticeably busier when walking about. I did hear that pubs & restaurants were busier again to the point that 5 in central Stockholm were closed down by the police for not following the social distancing guidelines (they basically allowed anyone who was already eating to finish their food but effectively closed them on the spot).

What I have noticed in the last week or so when I've been in the park for a run or walking the dug is that younger folk seem to have abandoned caring about it. Sitting about in large groups almost on top of each other, hugging, kissing, etc. I accept that I'm coming across as a bit 'old man yells at cloud' but it does wind me up. I've always suspected that the Swedish governments reliance on the collectivism of the population may clash with a younger generation who've been exposed to a far more individualistic society than that of their parents. 

I suppose these up and downs will have been expected by the government, at least with no lockdown in place it's a case of just managing an ongoing situation week by week than trying to manage a 'big bang' of moving from lockdown to no lockdown.

Edited by SwedgeAntilles
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

On the Beeb this morning:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52496636

Not sounding optimistic for pubs and gig venues for some time...

Nope. And interesting from Fullers saying they’re better off being closed, than open with social distancing. Restaurants and pubs reopening with restrictions might lead to even more job losses than simply staying closed.

I think it’s been clear for a while now that they will probably be one of the last things open. Especially venues. Hard to see how standing room only venues in particular can even be open without a vaccine.

Edited by jparx

12 minutes ago, jparx said:

Nope. And interesting from Fullers saying they’re better off being closed, than open with social distancing. Restaurants and pubs reopening with restrictions might lead to even more job losses than simply staying closed.

I think it’s been clear for a while now that they will probably be one of the last things open. Especially venues. Hard to see how standing room only venues in particular can even be open without a vaccine.

Yeah I can see his point. Better to stay closed with government support than open and just go bankrupt. That said, how long will the government support feasibly last for?

Must admit I won't be rushing back to the pub. I'd love a pint, don't get me wrong, but our priority at the moment is seeing relatives (two of whom are at risk) and so we will need to manage our exposure carefully until we know it's safe to see them.

Flatmate keeps seeing his friends, and bringing them here. Told him he needs to stop it, especially because I have health issues which make me more vulnerable to the virus. He's still bringing friends over.

Reported him to the police via some online form but was told they can't really do anything about it as it's not in a public place.

Need a plan C 🙃