When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Had a quick watch of pmqs earlier and it seemed a positive early start ... measured but decent questioning ... hoping for more in that vain ... I’m not actually a labour voter ... they don’t have a hope in my area 

The way he’s taken Raab apart has been brilliant. I really hope he can win people around as the way I’ve seen so far has won over certain journalists on Twitter who are generally pro Tory.

1 hour ago, jparx said:

I dunno, I wouldn't write off Keir Starmer's chances yet. I think he's going to do a much better job holding the government accountable. He comes across as the only grown up in the room. and I'm hopeful he will expose the likes of Johnson and Raab for the fools they are. A strong, confident and well spoken leader like Sir Keir could bring some of the labour voters back. He has a huge mountain to climb but I've got faith in him!

My Dad who is a Labour supporter had no faith in JC at all and moved to lib dems in the last election. He has been saying how much Starmer comes across really well and putting his faith back in them. Dad is no "grass roots"man but have a feeling lots of people will feel the same. At least move them in the right direction

I realise right direction is subjective. But let's face it those on the centre left (where things will be won) will hopefully follow. 

He is dull though in modern politics which may let him down

Edited by fred quimby

2 hours ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

Re. the downvote here: I've also been on the receiving end a couple of times in this thread, but I usually deserve it whenever politics comes up as I'm an antisocial, sarcastic, opinionated twat.  A 'group' view usually emerges on forums and this forum's  prevailing view could be given the populist, pejorative label 'woke' - or, at the very least, anti-Boris.  Although I'm also in the anti-Boris camp, and further to the left than most, I think the thread is crying out for some alternative views and open discussion.  I'm open to persuasion on the rights/wrongs of lock-down as I've read so much about the unintended consequences. 

@Sdsm123 - what's your take on the Govt's handling of Coronavirus and ending lock-down etc?

so you're a lefty who hates lefties?

very popular these days.

Edited by steviewevie

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

very popular these days.

This isn’t the place to discuss something like this but I think the modern left nowadays is divided into two factions that don’t really interact well with each other. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

What is happening, I’m now agreeing with Piers Morgan!?

Piers Morgan is a strange case. I think it’s definitely HIM that is insufferable, not so much what he believes.

Execution is sometimes worse than what is being delivered I guess. How you deliver and say things can sometimes make things worse. It’s like when someone does a shit apology after being called out.

34 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

very popular these days.

I can see why you'd interpret my post in that way as I certainly was bending over backwards to be accommodating to a non-mainstream forum view.  However, my motive for being so accommodating  was to get a genuine discussion going rather than get sidetracked with a handbag war over down-voting.  The two posts I mentioned being down-voted on were my attacks on Andy Ngo and Dominic Cummings and I'd prefer to have those discussions rather than simply throwing my toys out of the pram and flouncing.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

What is happening, I’m now agreeing with Piers Morgan!?

Be careful don't start to think Piers is a decent man. What he is is an echo chamber. He reads public opinion and says it out loud for his own betterment. As soon as it suits him to start slating women and immigrants etc he will do. 

37 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Be careful don't start to think Piers is a decent man. What he is is an echo chamber. He reads public opinion and says it out loud for his own betterment. As soon as it suits him to start slating women and immigrants etc he will do. 

What does that say about us as a nation eh

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I think I’m Ill .. I’ve been agreeing with him for a couple of weeks now ... surely I’m gonna come out the other side soon .. 

If I recollect the government refused to put up someone for interviews a few weeks ago but instead gave an interview to Sky. Morgan raged about this and his massive ego was dented. Also Trump has blocked him on Twitter.  As you say, some of his statements recently have been hard to argue with. Just proves we are living through strange times!  

Sweden is certainly interesting, I know the person on here from there said they’re just doing what we’re doing, but without it being enforced, but if anybody watched ITV news this evening then that didn’t seem to be the case at all. Bars full of people, people out and about, kids out playing. It looks totally normal to me. obviously it wouldn’t be beyond the news to spin it to look like that, but it looked very much what the U.K. looked like before official lockdown.

Of their cases are levelling off it is a pretty difficult one to explain away 

12 hours ago, Matt42 said:

This isn’t the place to discuss something like this but I think the modern left nowadays is divided into two factions that don’t really interact well with each other. 

nowadays...? :lol: 

I suggest you have a read-up about the Labour Party in 1931, 1945, 1983, etc, etc, etc. :P 

Turns out Spaffer is more like Churchill than anyone was thinking.

Both are responsible for the mass death of Brits due to fucking stupid decisions. This is Spaffer's Gallipoli.

Edited by Neil

8 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Sweden is certainly interesting, I know the person on here from there said they’re just doing what we’re doing, but without it being enforced, but if anybody watched ITV news this evening then that didn’t seem to be the case at all. Bars full of people, people out and about, kids out playing. It looks totally normal to me. obviously it wouldn’t be beyond the news to spin it to look like that, but it looked very much what the U.K. looked like before official lockdown.

Of their cases are levelling off it is a pretty difficult one to explain away 

I'd be curious for @SwedgeAntilles's take on that. I'd certainly trust his account over ITV news.