When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

7 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

This sounds good - wish I'd watched it now

I think Starmer is ace at PMQs. He's so articulate, confident and knows his shit. 

We just need to get Boris to actually attend one so he can give him a proper roasting.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, zahidf said:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/pubs-three-pints-uk-coronavirus-lockdown-economy-a4426796.html

May as well not open them up again tbh. 3 pints barely gets the whistle wet!

Bonus for levels of alcohol related crime ... prety Patel will be straight on to that ... perfect for some of my friends also ... who are inclined to make a pint last ...

42 minutes ago, zahidf said:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/pubs-three-pints-uk-coronavirus-lockdown-economy-a4426796.html

May as well not open them up again tbh. 3 pints barely gets the whistle wet!

You’re overlooking the obvious loophole. 3 pints per pub. 

Think I’ll be okay with the hundreds of Pubs in Brighton. 

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

I always enjoy looking up the people who write these articles, he’s known as Dr Doom and has lavish parties on top of his $5.5 million Manhattan home. Thank goodness looks like he’s going to be alright anyway....

CB0DC461-17FF-45F5-8CC9-85D583D0AA4F.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

He’s notorious for laziness don’t think he could have planned this better (and yes I’m aware he didn’t ) I do fear that he’s going to come through unblemished as he can easily deflect blame just like trump is doing with the us media .. 

Probably didn't plan it but then again...

He was running for election when (presumably) he knew he had a kid on the way. And as much as he didn't know we'd be facing this crisis, equally he did know we would have something huge to deal with (Brexit).

Then when the pandemic first hit, he literally went and put himself into contact with tons of people who had it. It's possible he's an idiot. It's also possible he was shit scared and figured if he got ill he'd get sympathy and not have to deal with it for a few weeks.

Most likely he'll be off for another few weeks on paternity now. He needs to put someone else in charge. I'd be happy as Larry if Johnson actually rose to the occasion but he's running scared and seemingly refuses to actually nominate someone to run things in the meantime.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Probably didn't plan it but then again...

He was running for election when (presumably) he knew he had a kid on the way. And as much as he didn't know we'd be facing this crisis, equally he did know we would have something huge to deal with (Brexit).

Then when the pandemic first hit, he literally went and put himself into contact with tons of people who had it. It's possible he's an idiot. It's also possible he was shit scared and figured if he got ill he'd get sympathy and not have to deal with it for a few weeks.

Most likely he'll be off for another few weeks on paternity now. He needs to put someone else in charge. I'd be happy as Larry if Johnson actually rose to the occasion but he's running scared and seemingly refuses to actually nominate someone to run things in the meantime.

He’s apparently taking his paternity leave later in the year.

5 minutes ago, ticketboy69 said:

Unfortunately JC damaged the Labour vote so badly that it was always unlikely they would re-cover over the course of one term. No matter what. 

It's such a shame because if Starmer had been in charge for the Brexit stuff some of the lies would at least have ended up being called out in public even if it wouldn't have made a difference due to the dark forces at work who HAD to make it happen. 

I remember the first time I became aware of him was during that time the entirety of the debates was being watched by the country, and he took the lead in questioning. When the Tory MP did the usual sniggering "in that meeting Labour had no idea what their policy on Brexit is, hur hur" and Starmer looked FURIOUS and outright called it out as a lie, saying something like "you know that's not true we were both in that meeting". A completely natural reaction to absolute fabricated nonsense being spouted at him, and it showed exactly what we were missing with Corbyn, who they'd learnt to push his buttons into going on some fantasyland utopian rant about something that in the grand scheme of things was never important, so he never outright just called them out. 

Not a chance he's getting in, but if it helps more of the public question things then that is a positive. Until the media smear his character to make everything he says completely pointless of course...

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I fear that coronavirus becomes the excuse for all the failures of this administration brexit the lot and they just end up returning ... 

Re. the downvote here: I've also been on the receiving end a couple of times in this thread, but I usually deserve it whenever politics comes up as I'm an antisocial, sarcastic, opinionated twat.  A 'group' view usually emerges on forums and this forum's  prevailing view could be given the populist, pejorative label 'woke' - or, at the very least, anti-Boris.  Although I'm also in the anti-Boris camp, and further to the left than most, I think the thread is crying out for some alternative views and open discussion.  I'm open to persuasion on the rights/wrongs of lock-down as I've read so much about the unintended consequences. 

@Sdsm123 - what's your take on the Govt's handling of Coronavirus and ending lock-down etc?

28 minutes ago, ticketboy69 said:

Unfortunately JC damaged the Labour vote so badly that it was always unlikely they would re-cover over the course of one term. No matter what. 

16 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

It's such a shame because if Starmer had been in charge for the Brexit stuff some of the lies would at least have ended up being called out in public even if it wouldn't have made a difference due to the dark forces at work who HAD to make it happen. 

I remember the first time I became aware of him was during that time the entirety of the debates was being watched by the country, and he took the lead in questioning. When the Tory MP did the usual sniggering "in that meeting Labour had no idea what their policy on Brexit is, hur hur" and Starmer looked FURIOUS and outright called it out as a lie, saying something like "you know that's not true we were both in that meeting". A completely natural reaction to absolute fabricated nonsense being spouted at him, and it showed exactly what we were missing with Corbyn, who they'd learnt to push his buttons into going on some fantasyland utopian rant about something that in the grand scheme of things was never important, so he never outright just called them out. 

Not a chance he's getting in, but if it helps more of the public question things then that is a positive. Until the media smear his character to make everything he says completely pointless of course...

I dunno, I wouldn't write off Keir Starmer's chances yet. I think he's going to do a much better job holding the government accountable. He comes across as the only grown up in the room. and I'm hopeful he will expose the likes of Johnson and Raab for the fools they are. A strong, confident and well spoken leader like Sir Keir could bring some of the labour voters back. He has a huge mountain to climb but I've got faith in him!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Raab comes across extremely robotic. Hancock and Johnson come across much more naturally. The girlfriend just called Raab "creepy" and I can see what she means....

He comes across like he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about and trying to memorise a speech written by someone else.

I thought he was awful at PMQs.

Just now, jparx said:

He comes across like he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about and trying to memorise a speech written by someone else.

I thought he was awful at PMQs.

Yes I thought the same about the speech - he's just there to be shown front and centre, he's really not the right person to be leading these. Boris Johnson, for all his faults, never seemed to struggle with it like that - while decisions can all be questioned he knew what he was saying and didn't seem to be struggling with the subject matter

42 minutes ago, ticketboy69 said:

Give us a chance, we've only had a new leader 5 minutes.  Does anyone remember how well the Tories did in the last euro elections?  There's still time.

27 minutes ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

Re. the downvote here: I've also been on the receiving end a couple of times in this thread, but I usually deserve it whenever politics comes up as I'm an antisocial, sarcastic, opinionated twat.  A 'group' view usually emerges on forums and this forum's  prevailing view could be given the populist, pejorative label 'woke' - or, at the very least, anti-Boris.  Although I'm also in the anti-Boris camp, and further to the left than most, I think the thread is crying out for some alternative views and open discussion.  I'm open to persuasion on the rights/wrongs of lock-down as I've read so much about the unintended consequences. 

@Sdsm123 - what's your take on the Govt's handling of Coronavirus and ending lock-down etc?

Yep ... I’m also intrigued ... I try to keep as open a mind as is possible and as people might be aware I’m also able to say I judged something wrong having listened to other views 

Edited by crazyfool1

41 minutes ago, jparx said:

I dunno, I wouldn't write off Keir Starmer's chances yet. I think he's going to do a much better job holding the government accountable. He comes across as the only grown up in the room. and I'm hopeful he will expose the likes of Johnson and Raab for the fools they are. A strong, confident and well spoken leader like Sir Keir could bring some of the labour voters back. He has a huge mountain to climb but I've got faith in him!

I agree with so much of this. The thing that KS has is electability, something that JC lacked. Unfortunately, whilst I think he will bring back many traditional Labour voters, many more will need more time to heal. I hope I’m wrong...

it will also be interesting to see how the more left wing Momentum types vote as Labour moves towards the centre left. 

1 hour ago, jparx said:

I massively like Starmer, he was my choice for Labour leader and already we are seeing how excellent he is at the dispatch box at PMQs. He comes across to me as a PM in waiting.

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I massively like Starmer, he was my choice for Labour leader and already we are seeing how excellent he is at the dispatch box at PMQs. He comes across to me as a PM in waiting.

Had a quick watch of pmqs earlier and it seemed a positive early start ... measured but decent questioning ... hoping for more in that vain ... I’m not actually a labour voter ... they don’t have a hope in my area