When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

No answer on the Dominic Cummings question unsurprisingly ... 

I am sure that arrogant prick was the one who was the person whose advice to Boris  not to lock down quicker whilst other countries such as NZ did this as soon as a few deaths occurred. 

25 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I am sure that arrogant prick was the one who was the person whose advice to Boris  not to lock down quicker whilst other countries such as NZ did this as soon as a few deaths occurred. 

Yep absolutely ... he wasn’t at sage cos he thought it was a chat about something he couldn’t influence ... 

Once they lift the lockdown for hairdressers and coffee shops they'll be riots.. Every one and there big brother will want a grade 1 and a capacheno lol... Then a walk in the woods or beach.. They won't be able to stop the population after 6 weeks.. Or in my case longer lololol 

76958632_1043733599302948_5190701580487229440_n.jpg

56 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

If this is true then lockdown will probably be in place until there is a vaccine. However impossible that sounds.

Don't be so hyperbolic, lockdown wouldn't be in place till then.

This just means scientifically there's no evidence yet either way, it is not meaning you DON'T have antibodies that would be effective.

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Don't be so hyperbolic, lockdown wouldn't be in place till then.

This just means scientifically there's no evidence yet either way, it is not meaning you DON'T have antibodies that would be effective.

I think you’re missing a wider picture. If they can’t prove that infected patients produce antibodies to stop them being re-infected then it means there is a chance that you can be re-infected. While this is still a mooted / unconfirmed possibility how on earth can lockdown be lifted? The only way lockdown would be lifted is by accepting that some very difficult choices are going to have to be made.

Surely we’re past the point of calling people doomsayers now?

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I think you’re missing a wider picture. If they can’t prove that infected patients produce antibodies to stop them being re-infected then it means there is a chance that you can be re-infected. While this is still a mooted / unconfirmed possibility how on earth can lockdown be lifted? The only way lockdown would be lifted is by accepting that some very difficult choices are going to have to be made.

The country/economy wouldn't survive if we stayed in lockdown for a year. There are more things to take into account than just the CV. Versions of social distancing will be in place sure and elements of lockdowns but a lockdown wouldn't be in place for the entire time.

I'm sure parts of the lockdown will be lifted over the next few months, but many restrictions will stay in place...and the recession that comes from this will be deep and long lasting. We really are up shit creek. Hopefully countries co-operate to find a solution and a way forward, and hopefully Trump is voted out in November.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

The country/economy wouldn't survive if we stayed in lockdown for a year. There are more things to take into account than just the CV. Versions of social distancing will be in place sure and elements of lockdowns but a lockdown wouldn't be in place for the entire time.

100%. An 18 month lockdown would be terminal for the economy, and we’d feel the effects for a generation. Sure it’s the best way to beat Covid, but hard choices will be made between deaths from this virus and long term, indirect deaths from economic depression and a mental health crisis. It’s shite, but if push comes to shove governments will choose the latter.

Hopefully we do get evidence of immunity soon.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

If this is true then lockdown will probably be in place until there is a vaccine. However impossible that sounds.

Waiting for a vaccine when we don’t know when it will come is unsustainable and until we have a vaccine or effective treatment, there will inevitably be a rise in cases when lockdown measures are lifted. If we delay too much, then we risk the possible, some would say probable, second peak hitting in the winter when the NHS is already at capacity, before you even  begin to factor in the impact of Covid. Given the economy won’t survive an indefinite lockdown, they will have to start lifting it soon. If a second peak does happen, which of course we hope it doesn’t, in terms of NHS capacity, it is better it happens in the summer than in the winter. Tough decisions ahead for the government, thank god it’s not us having to make them!

24 minutes ago, jparx said:

100%. An 18 month lockdown would be terminal for the economy, and we’d feel the effects for a generation. Sure it’s the best way to beat Covid, but hard choices will be made between deaths from this virus and long term, indirect deaths from economic depression and a mental health crisis. It’s shite, but if push comes to shove governments will choose the latter.

Hopefully we do get evidence of immunity soon.

It might not even be the best way to beat COVID.  If the economy really collapses, then we won't have the resources to fight the virus.

We need extensive test+tracing in place so you don't get infected key worker going to work and other infected people wandering around ASDA. The South Korean model is the only viable option I can see until we have viable medical interventions other than keeping people alive long enough for them to fight off the virus. Know who is infected, lock them down properly and let everyone else get on with keeping the world turning.

The problem with the “hard choices” argument, and the “herd immunity” approach is this...

What if it’s someone from your family which falls victim to it? I find that those championing herd immunity have this “well herd immunity is fine as long as it’s not my family or myself” approach, which is inherently flawed in itself.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Matt, people who were infected do generate protective antibodies. How long they last for is the question nobody can answer yet as it hasn’t been around long enough. SARS/MERS generated a fairly stable immune response that lasted for a long time, it helped the virus die out. The immune response to the coronaviruses that circulate every year is more transient, it lasts about a year, so you can get reinfected. They don’t kill many people, so we haven’t bothered to even attempt a vaccine, they are just some of the many viruses that cause the common cold. Best evidence that an immune response to this one is generated is the fact that convalescent plasma therapy has been tried (taking plasma containing antibodies from patients who have recovered and using it to treat those with the disease). This has been shown to work, so it means there is at least a transient but potent immune response to infection (it’s not practical to use this approach to treat everybody). There’s better evidence that you can’t get it again (at least in the short term, and probably long enough to last til a vaccine arrives), than there is that you can get reinfected quickly. Most interpretations of the handful of cases were people have been reinfected is that they have relapsed, not been reinfected (ie, their immune system didn’t completely clear the virus first time). Try not to worry so much, I know it’s stressful, but there are ways out of this for us all, even before we get a vaccine. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 8

5 hours ago, Matt42 said:

The problem with the “hard choices” argument, and the “herd immunity” approach is this...

What if it’s someone from your family which falls victim to it? I find that those championing herd immunity have this “well herd immunity is fine as long as it’s not my family or myself” approach, which is inherently flawed in itself.

Because you can’t make a National policy on any individual’s outcome, it has to be a judgement on the overall benefit of the whole population.

If it were otherwise, we would lock the country down every winter to save lives from the flu (Think about it, thousands die from the flu and as a Nation we hardly think about it), we should stop driving as that’s a killer of 1,800 a year but we accept the benefits over the risks, we should ban smoking and drinking because they cause many many thousands of deaths but few argue for that. 

There’s no automatic guarantee we always remain a wealthy country, and most poorer countries have a much worse health and early death rate than richer countries, so it will always have to be a balanced approach, or a hard choice. The easy choice only comes with a vaccine or the virus dying out, neither is likely in the short term.