When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

32 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

There’s not a day goes past when I don’t think about missing Glastonbury, doesn’t help that I am constantly watching past performances that I’ve recorded! It would personally be a lot worse if it was on and for some reason I had to cancel but as you say there’s a lot more important things at this present time. Best of luck in the resales. 

Yes it's definitely a sign of how much I love it that even knowing all the risks etc if Glastonbury had been on this year I'd still have gone. It may sound flippant and I apologise if it does but I'd run the risk of dying from a deadly virus to be there. I love it that much. I've always thought as well that there are risks to everything and I'd rather take those risks for things I love than crap like going to work!! 

3 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes it's definitely a sign of how much I love it that even knowing all the risks etc if Glastonbury had been on this year I'd still have gone. It may sound flippant and I apologise if it does but I'd run the risk of dying from a deadly virus to be there. I love it that much. I've always thought as well that there are risks to everything and I'd rather take those risks for things I love than crap like going to work!! 

It’s quite a strange one ... twice I’ve got infections at Glastonbury ... one that resulted in me leaving in an ambulance .. but never have I considered not going back ... perhaps I live up to my efest username .. 

• Like 2

I think the general public’s perception of risk is probably incorrectly skewed as well. Festivals are slightly different because they happen over an extended period, like a holiday. But if you compare a gig to a holiday then I think it’s very difficult to say one is riskier than the other if you think about it logically. I think people assume the virus to behave a bit like playing tag for want of a better description, but if you’re purely worried about personally catching it then you can only get it from somebody who is contagious. I think people imagine a gig and people in close contact and imagine the virus spreading round the room in real time while they’re there, but that’s not how it happens. A contagious person could infect many people at a gig, but for you to personally get it that contagious person would need to infect you, coming into contact with people they’ve infected wouldn't mean you’d get it because those people aren’t contagious yet.

Compare that to a holiday, again, if your concern is personally catching the virus then ultimately you’re exposed to the risk of coming into contact with a contagious person, or a contaminated surface, glass, cutlery etc etc over a much longer period.

So in terms of personally catching the virus what is worse, maybe a higher risk of coming it I contact with a contagious person over a very short period, or perhaps a lower risk of coming into contact with a contagious person over a much much longer period?

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think the general public’s perception of risk is probably incorrectly skewed as well. Festivals are slightly different because they happen over an extended period, like a holiday. But if you compare a gig to a holiday then I think it’s very difficult to say one is riskier than the other if you think about it logically. I think people assume the virus to behave a bit like playing tag for want of a better description, but if you’re purely worried about personally catching it then you can only get it from somebody who is contagious. I think people imagine a gig and people in close contact and imagine the virus spreading round the room in real time while they’re there, but that’s not how it happens. A contagious person could infect many people at a gig, but for you to personally get it that contagious person would need to infect you, coming into contact with people they’ve infected wouldn't mean you’d get it because those people aren’t contagious yet.

Compare that to a holiday, again, if your concern is personally catching the virus then ultimately you’re exposed to the risk of coming into contact with a contagious person, or a contaminated surface, glass, cutlery etc etc over a much longer period.

So in terms of personally catching the virus what is worse, maybe a higher risk of coming it I contact with a contagious person over a very short period, or perhaps a lower risk of coming into contact with a contagious person over a much much longer period?

It's a good point in terms of the how the virus spreads and needing to be in contact with someone who is contagious. However if you went with the idea that, say, 100 people who attended the festival were contagious, you'd still end up with 1000s of people leaving the event with the virus. 

7 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think that's why we'll see seated gigs come back well before standing gigs and festivals.

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

It's a good point in terms of the how the virus spreads and needing to be in contact with someone who is contagious. However if you went with the idea that, say, 100 people who attended the festival were contagious, you'd still end up with 1000s of people leaving the event with the virus. 

Absolutely, you’re right, but I think people tend to automatically think of a gig and people in close proximity and that the virus will be spreading from person to person in real time, but of course it wont. Still a risk of course, but it’s a risk for say 2 hours, vs a lower risk spread over one or two weeks. That’s compared to just doing neither and staying at home instead.

37 minutes ago, jparx said:

Also fag packet maths here, maybe @Toilet Duck can help provide a bit more accuracy with this, but let’s say 100 contagious people do go to a gig of say 10,000 capacity. If the R0 is 2.5 then they infect 250 people between them, that means you’ve got a 2.5% chance of catching it at the gig. I’m purely talking here about your personal risk, obviously 250 people catching it helps spread it to a ton more people beyond that, but that’s a different issue.

I appreciate that the R0 for a virus is probably different at something like a gig compared to most general life 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That's probably true - they will have far lower capacity, with a gap between every seat.

There is the economic side to this though... seated gigs mean fewer ticket sales, so either prices will rise significantly, or tours simply wont be financially viable and hence wont happen. 

29 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That's probably true - they will have far lower capacity, with a gap between every seat.

I wonder if the treturn to gigs will be smaller bands playing in bigger venues so that they are half full so for example I am meant to be seeing The Lovely Eggs at Gorilla. If they moved that to Albert Hall but same number of people there would be ample space. I just wonder about the atmosphere of gigs if they seem half empty but then some revenue will at some point be better than no revenue and pretty soon people will be happy to just be doing something different I guess. 

Interesting dynamic, demand down but ticket numbers down anyway to aid social distancing. Wasn’t there an argument regarding reselling that tickets are underpriced anyway due to demand, and they just get resold at the real price to reflect demand? I don’t necessarily agree with that argument by the way, just remember hearing it. 

27 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Off topic but is anyone having trouble posting at the moment? It’s fine on my phone but on desktop I can’t click into the text box to post, pages aren’t loading correctly either with videos not showing.

Might be worth posting it in here https://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/forum/20-website-wishlist-amp-problems/

1 hour ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Off topic but is anyone having trouble posting at the moment? It’s fine on my phone but on desktop I can’t click into the text box to post, pages aren’t loading correctly either with videos not showing.

Yep.