When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 hours ago, zahidf said:

Toiletduck, I assume this isn't right?

😂😂😂

Eh no! UV is a pretty strong mutagen and injecting disinfectant could kill you. We would use both to sterilise equipment when growing virus etc, but not ourselves! Honestly, they’ll probably re-eject this guy, wtf!

Also worth noting that the first RCT of Remdesivir has failed to show benefit over standard of care and has been terminated. Early results showed remarkable efficacy, but once the drug was tested properly, it doesn’t appear to work. We see this all the time with new cancer drugs, promising early results, only for that hope to be dashed when put through the rigours of phased clinical trials. It serves as a warning not to abandon normal drug (or vaccine) development in times of crisis. We all want  an end to this, but it’s better  to do it correctly in the long run. Hopefully one of the other trials in the myriad underway will work out better. 

Just now, mcshed said:

I wonder what percentage of the population go to concerts on a regular basis normally.

yeah, I guess that factor has impacted on it ... but even so, when people are happier to get on an enclosed plane and travel to a foreign country (where medical care for non-citizens might be iffy), that doesn't look good for gigs.

8 minutes ago, Neil said:

this looks bad for the near-future of festivals and gigs. :(
(look at the bottom line)

I’d also say at the moment it would be top of people’s thoughts so the emotional reaction would be no way ... but as life (slowly ) goes back to some semblance of normality I think slowly people will change their minds 

Just now, Neil said:

yeah, I guess that factor has impacted on it ... but even so, when people are happier to get on an enclosed plane and travel to a foreign country (where medical care for non-citizens might be iffy), that doesn't look good for gigs.

It's not great certainly but I suspect a big part of that discrepancy is more people go or want to go on foreign holidays than go to gigs. 

The prices of gig tickets was becoming ridiculous over the past 10 years the cost has more or less doubled. If this puts a bit more money back in the pockets of some fans with a reduced demand then that would be a silver lining. Although it is a shame if fans feel they can't safely attend either/afford due to lack of work. 

11 minutes ago, mcshed said:

It's not great certainly but I suspect a big part of that discrepancy is more people go or want to go on foreign holidays than go to gigs. 

I think the key thing is hygiene and distancing. People probably think they could choose a holiday that would satisfy those factors but they don't have control of that at a large scale event. 

Got to admit, much as I love gigs and festivals, getting back to them is low down my list of priorities at the moment. We have family members with health conditions that we really want to see and that's the priority, but the nature of those health conditions would make me wary to go to too many other places that put as at risk of contracting it and passing it on. That said we live in London and would have to get public transport to see them so that's already a risk, but I guess one is necessary and one is not. At the moment though we are wondering whether safe to see them at all for a while, whether allowed to or not :(

Walking in the park earlier this week I found myself longing for Glastonbury, but on the whole I've accepted no festivals on the cards for this year and I'm not really going to let myself think about next year (possible October resale aside).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

I think the key thing is hygiene and distancing. People probably think they could choose a holiday that would satisfy those factors but they don't have control of that at a large scale event. 

I wonder if they're thinking about the flight? Due to the air filters on planes, the trip probably is safer than a gig, although the transfer bus may well be more dangerous than either.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

15 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Walking in the park earlier this week I found myself longing for Glastonbury, but on the whole I've accepted no festivals on the cards for this year and I'm not really going to let myself think about next year (possible October resale aside).

There’s not a day goes past when I don’t think about missing Glastonbury, doesn’t help that I am constantly watching past performances that I’ve recorded! It would personally feel a lot worse if it was on and for some reason I had to cancel, . There’s a sense we are all in this together. but  as you say there’s a lot more important things at this present time. Best of luck in the resales. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

There’s not a day goes past when I don’t think about missing Glastonbury, doesn’t help that I am constantly watching past performances that I’ve recorded! It would personally feel a lot worse if it was on and for some reason I had to cancel, . There’s a sense we are all in this together. but  as you say there’s a lot more important things at this present time. Best of luck in the resales. 

Thanks! Will probably give it a go if they are on as normal for sure. But yeah bigger things on my mind at the moment I guess.

44 minutes ago, Neil said:

I think that’s just a reflection of what the population as whole like to do, rather than what they would actually feel safer doing. Pretty much everyone likes going on holiday, lots of people go to gigs and concerts now days, but not many average joes would prioritise them over a holiday, hence more would be willing to take the risk of a holiday as it’s a bigger priority for them.

Also how many people in the U.K. go on holiday each year vs attend gigs/festivals etc? I’d hazard a guess the amount that go on holiday is significantly higher. So for the wider population the percentage that would feel safe at a gig etc is quite low. But for the people that actually attend them regularly the percentage that would still go and feel safe might still be relatively high. If you posted that same survey on here you’d get a truer reflection, whereas pretty much everyone goes on holiday, so asking a random section of the population automatically gives you an accurate reflection of ‘holiday goers’ views.

There is no surprise in those figures anyway and I don’t necessarily see them as a bad thing. It might enable things to return to normal with social distancing automatically being regulated by people’s attitudes. I appreciate there is a supply and demand consideration for things like gigs and festivals and that if demand is down they might not be viable, but it would still enable some things to go ahead.

14 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I wonder if they're thinking about the flight? Due to the air filters on planes, the trip probably is safe than a gig, although the transfer bus may well be more dangerous than either.

Although foreign holidays don't have to be on flights. You could get a boat. Also, I think people probably assume that measure would be in place. I would expect not to be allowed on a flight without maybe some form of testing even if it was just temperature checks on check in. People could wear masks etc for flights as well. Most British people only go on a couple of hour flight for their holidays.  I don't necessarily agree but I can see why people might feel a bit more in control of the situation. Gigs and festivals obviously you have no chance with social distancing at all.