When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

6 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Certainly it will make companies evaluate the need for office space, and WFH will be sold as an employment benefit a lot more.

Ive worked for a company that used a wework before, and interviewed are another recently that also has their office in one. I can’t work out of this I’ll be a nail down in the coffin for wework, or if I’m fact they’ll benefit from companies no longer wanting to be tied to large offices of their own. 

lol I actually work for one of We Work's competitors!! There are mixed feelings about how it will affect the business. It could make people just want to pop into a nearest office space when they need to or people could decide they have been working well from home and no longer need the options they have used in the past. 

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

Walking the dog is absolutely on the list it just has to be done as your daily exercise allowance otherwise how would people with dogs in apartments cope? It definitely isn't breaking any rules to walk them once a day. My dogs are already struggling with just the once a day as they are used to 2 one hour walks so we're having to do activities to try and keep them satisfied. They are definitely more barky than usual which I am very conscious of as our neighbour has a 3 week old baby. 

I don't want to feel like a criminal when I leave the house or worry about any curtain twitchers reporting me so I will wait but just saying I really hope there is some relaxation just around outdoor stuff soon. 

Dogs can handle being stuck inside just as easily as humans can. That is, not very well, but we cope.

Yes, for most people walking the dog *is* their daily exercise, but you're saying you're so active that it's not exercise for you, in which case on a pure technicality, it's against the rule. But as I say, walk the dog, drop it off back home and go straight back out again - it's a single continuous piece of exercise - warm up then sprint! 

(The notion of it just being one hour a day is made up, incidentally, if you were worried about that)

Just now, DeanoL said:

Dogs can handle being stuck inside just as easily as humans can. That is, not very well, but we cope.

Yes, for most people walking the dog *is* their daily exercise, but you're saying you're so active that it's not exercise for you, in which case on a pure technicality, it's against the rule. But as I say, walk the dog, drop it off back home and go straight back out again - it's a single continuous piece of exercise - warm up then sprint! 

(The notion of it just being one hour a day is made up, incidentally, if you were worried about that)

Yeah it's not technically in the rules for an hour. As long as your in motion, it counts as exercise 

7 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

lol I actually work for one of We Work's competitors!! There are mixed feelings about how it will affect the business. It could make people just want to pop into a nearest office space when they need to or people could decide they have been working well from home and no longer need the options they have used in the past. 

Do you think though, that for companies as a whole, rather then say signing a 10 year lease on their own office a few might be inclined to look at something that your industry offers? Something a bit more short term and flexible? 

Edit: incidentally for the companies I referenced they had aggressive growth plans so Weworks suited them until they’d scaled to a more stable size, with the plan to move into their own office at that point.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

Just had a same day video appointment session with my GP 🙂

Would normally have to wait several days for an appointment then have hassle of going to the surgery and waiting for hours. This time I called up my surgery at 9:15, got a video call back from GP at 11:30. Only took 10 minutes and got the prescription I needed. Hope they can continue to offer this as an option when things are back to normal.

2 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yes, I’m the same, it’s not necessarily my view but I think it’s definitely their view. The mantra stay at home save, lives helps with the current lockdown in the short term, and it’s true as of now but it’s not the overriding reason for it. Where the government will get absolutely hammered is if the NHS is overrun and people start routinely dying from other preventable things, that’s ultimately what they are trying to avoid.

The easy way to look at it is, if life could return to complete normality AND the NHS could cope, does anyone seriously believe that’s not what would happen?

So much unknown about it - I would hope they'll take into account whether people have long term damage from it before insisting we all catch it - I've seen a couple of anecdotal reports from other countries (not mainstream obviously, maybe rubbish) of x-rays for supposedly mild cases showing some pretty big lung damage. Or are they just assuming immunity and full recovery? 

1 hour ago, FestivalJamie said:

Everyone should be having to wear them in public spaces. This is a ridiculous decision and only because we are short of PPE. Spain, France, Italy, New York, Asia, Germany, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Austria now all have compulsory masks in public spaces.

Face masks reduce transmission of the virus! Droplets can be spread by one person talking to another and as up to 50% of cases are asymptomatic, everyone wearing a mask will reduce transmission as people who don't even know they are infected could be passing it on!

The UK government has made ridiculous decision after ridiculous decision. I can't believe we are making yet again another fundamental mistake. 

Is this not guidance NOW rather than as a way to get out of lockdown? Makes sense not to mandate it now when people aren't meant to be going out that much, but nothing to say this won't change when we get to that point. 

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I'm wondering if the football season will be able to go ahead in August.

We need to finish the current season before we even think about the next one. 

As for the talk of Glasto being on next year then someone start a poll. My answer is 100% yes. 

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

We need to finish the current season before we even think about the next one. 

As for the talk of Glasto being on next year then someone start a poll. My answer is 100% yes. 

Please can we not start a poll yet? 😂 Let's leave it until Autumn at least. 

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Sorry I’m changing the subject here but that in itself is an argument for things returning to normality, with the vulnerable self isolating.

165,000 people die of cancer in the U.K. every year, how long do people tolerate corona patients being more important than cancer ones? I know that it’s a different argument entirely, but it’s a difficult square to try and circle.

Personally, I don't think we should tolerate it beyond the current lockdown period, it's building up serious health issues as we speak.

I am changing my mind about the self-isolation of old people a bit too, how can we tell an otherwise healthy 90 year old to self-isolate on their own for a long period, months or maybe a year, when they may only have that time left on earth anyway?

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Do you think though, that for companies as a whole, rather then say signing a 10 year lease on their own office a few might be inclined to look at something that your industry offers? Something a bit more short term and flexible? 

Edit: incidentally for the companies I referenced they had aggressive growth plans so Weworks suited them until they’d scaled to a more stable size, with the plan to move into their own office at that point.

Yes I think there are so many different flexible options that could be taken up in future so for example we sell things like virtual office products which include phone answering services etc which are popular at the moment when people don't want their screaming child in the background :) . We sell access to co-working spaces so you can purchase a card that could mean that you can use a business lounge anywhere around the world or around your city. I've not been working there that long so don't know the in's and out's of it all yet but certainly plenty of ways to be much more creative with how people work. If you have an office space you get a key card that works 24/7 so you can work day or night. Also, definitely easier to scale as you grow as a business. I got a tour of one of the prestigious offices in Barcelona and the office manager was showing us the spaces that one business had grown from and to. 

My worry about masks is people suddenly stockpiling them and those that really need them having to go without, or making an alternative face covering that's not quite adequate. If we had a decent government, ideally we'd be able to source good quality masks for everyone that needs them without any complications, but that's not reality. 

I just know that if "wear masks/coverings in public" becomes the guideline, you won't be able to buy masks anywhere. People won't make do with a scarf or something, they will all buy masks in bulk. Wearing a scarf will be OK for me doing my weekly shop, but key workers will need something more robust. Until we're confident everyone who truly needs a mask for their work can get hold of one, I honestly don't know if it's best to launch that guideline for the general public.

But as with all this, I really don't know. That's just my opinion at this moment in time!

Edit: just to be clear - in an ideal world I'd agree everyone wearing masks or coverings should be the case, but unfortunately we're far from an ideal world at the moment.

Edited by jparx
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

I know I started this thread but not read all comments. Got tickets for a gig at 1000 seater venue (comedian) in October, postponed from March, anything been said on chances of these size events starting? Anyone has opinions?

Educated guess - no chance.

34 minutes ago, jparx said:

My worry about masks is people suddenly stockpiling them and those that really need them having to go without, or making an alternative face covering that's not quite adequate. If we had a decent government, ideally we'd be able to source good quality masks for everyone that needs them without any complications, but that's not reality. 

I just know that if "wear masks/coverings in public" becomes the guideline, you won't be able to buy masks anywhere. People won't make do with a scarf or something, they will all buy masks in bulk. Wearing a scarf will be OK for me doing my weekly shop, but key workers will need something more robust. Until we're confident everyone who truly needs a mask for their work can get hold of one, I honestly don't know if it's best to launch that guideline for the general public.

But as with all this, I really don't know. That's just my opinion at this moment in time!

Edit: just to be clear - in an ideal world I'd agree everyone wearing masks or coverings should be the case, but unfortunately we're far from an ideal world at the moment.

Should be easy enough to prohibit the sale or import of FFP2/3 masks though as what's required by the public and frontline workers are not the same thing. Proper guidance on what types of face covering help limit the spread and how to use them sustainably is what is required (while reinforcing the guidance on hand hygiene etc).  We'd need trillions of surgical masks if everyone was to use them correctly if that's where they went, so they need to think outside the box on this a bit (basically anything that blocks droplets while coughing, sneezing, speaking, yawning etc..even bike masks with PM2.5 disposable filters would do the job to a degree, can be washed and reused again and again...they won't block individual viral particles as they are too small, but I saw tests somewhere that compared various masks and they were 80% as good as FFP3 respirators and equally good compared to surgical masks, which is enough to flatten the curve a lot) . Coupled with better contact tracing and testing and this opens things up a lot more. Knowing there's a shortage of PPE isn't a good enough reason to ignore a workaround that even partially achieves the goal of reducing transmission (and 80% as good is probably enough, certainly as good as was hoped from social distancing). 

Edit: I should add that I can buy FFP2/3 masks from a UK supplier here in Ireland. They are available for export only, cannot be bought in the UK. (you may be able to get them from suppliers in Ireland, I don't know). But there's stock there being exported, so that could stop. In places where mask use is common, most people don't wear FFP2/3 respirators. 

Edited by Toilet Duck
further comment

44 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Personally, I don't think we should tolerate it beyond the current lockdown period, it's building up serious health issues as we speak.

I am changing my mind about the self-isolation of old people a bit too, how can we tell an otherwise healthy 90 year old to self-isolate on their own for a long period, months or maybe a year, when they may only have that time left on earth anyway?

As I understand it, cancer treatments have been suspended because chemotherapy and radiotherapy greatly reduce the possible immune system response to covid-19, not because of NHS capacity.