When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

24 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I had to stop watching after "unleash the hottest economy in modern history that president trump put together"

Infront of the flag too. Gross. 

It really is that bad. It actually makes my brain hurt watching it. It’s almost like it puts your brain in a slow blender.

2 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Pubs are an interesting one. I remember in one of the daily briefings a while back they described large gatherings as having a low risk of infecting a higher amount of people and pubs as having a high risk of infecting a lower amount of people. They also described the fact that large gatherings are actually low risk, but actually the biggest risk was everyone gathering in the pubs beforehand. So it wouldn’t be inconceivable for events like football matches to be allowed to go ahead, but with pubs still shut.

Not sure if the gatherings thing was the ahem "following of the science" of the early days (picking whatever suited to convince the public to keep going as normal). 

My argument on the football matches is that it is much more than just people sat outdoors. At all but a handful of bigger clubs the concourse is insanely busy, everyone squashed together, the toilets are an absolute state and tiny so also busy, the transport to and from isn't really set up for the numbers so buses/trains/trams are rammed and not just with football fans. Never mind the shouting and spitting while watching the match - and a lot is undercover so shouldn't technically count as outside. 

Multiply that around the country and it should be obvious that there'll be a lot of transmission. But I guess the people who make the decisions get driven there and go into corporate boxes so they dont see it that way. 

Edited by efcfanwirral

Fox News is sponsored by heads of major chains and companies. Of course they want these people to go back to work. 

I wish these bloody workers would just realise that they are NOT ON YOUR SIDE by pushing to send you back to work. They are trying to push through a “they are at risk but so be it” approach. 

6 minutes ago, Homer said:

Just looked at the daily mail (yes, I know) comments re the Boris Johnson story out of curiosity and surprised to see that even those guys are up in arms about him. 

Well the pandemic has created the exact situation which demonstrates why you need a social care system. A situation when even the 'respectable middle classes' can find themselves in a situation of needing the governments help to survive. Many of the Daily Mail readers will have become the scroungers sponging off the state that they usually find so abhorrent. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Well the pandemic has created the exact situation which demonstrates why you need a social care system. A situation when even the 'respectable middle classes' can find themselves in a situation of needing the governments help to survive. Many of the Daily Mail readers will have become the scroungers sponging off the state that they usually find so abhorrent. 

Having just read a book about cognitive dissonance (get me), I’d be surprised if large swathes of people suddenly admitted they were ‘wrong’.

6 minutes ago, Homer said:

Having just read a book about cognitive dissonance (get me), I’d be surprised if large swathes of people suddenly admitted they were ‘wrong’.

Oh no they won't be wrong but one of the big things about cognitive dissonance is that they won't see their situation now of needing the help of the government to survive to be the same things at all as 'those scroungers' needing exactly the same help. They will be in circumstances that they had no control over whereas 'those scroungers' will be just lazy. Cognitive dissonance also allows people to do some amazing moral gymnastics in their thinking. 

Just like all the immigrant key workers will not be the ones they have a problem with at all and they were never racist/xenophobic about them it's all the other schrodingers immigrant that are taking their jobs/benefits that they have a problem with. 

Have you need seen how Piers Morgan is suddenly a great champion of the immigrant key workers?? 

Edited by gigpusher
typo
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Homer said:

Just looked at the daily mail (yes, I know) comments re the Boris Johnson story out of curiosity and surprised to see that even those guys are up in arms about him. 

38 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

The daily mail forwards the vision, not the party. As long as the tories are setting Britain in the path that computes with the daily mails worldview they will support them.

The difference between the daily mail and say Fox News, is Fox News supports the leader not the ideology. The daily mail don’t defend boris for everything he does. If Boris suddenly did a 180 on brexit they would slate him.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It’s very different, really. For a start Bats are the reservoirs for most of these diseases and viruses, we don’t generally get them directly from bats but via an intermediary animal. For Covid it’s believed to be a pangolin and for Sars it was civets, a sort of a wild cat. Now I’m guessing you didn’t see either of those animals in tooting? It stands to reason if you generally eat a wider range of animals, and wild animals at that, who are generally far more likely to come into contact with bats then you increase your chances accordingly. These animals wouldn’t mix together in the wild, come from different continents, but are kept together in cramped conditions alive and dead. Living animals are also slaughtered in close proximity to all the other animals, causing their immune systems to become highly stressed, with blood and saliva being splattered everywhere in contact with all the other animals.

What you’re describing in Tooting is just poor food hygiene, it’s increasing the risk of getting an upset tummy, it’s not increasing the risk of a new virus jumping from one species to another

I completely understand & agree with everything you’ve said. Excellent insight.

edit: I never knew bats were so dangerous until I found one in our bathroom in Malaysia. I was just going to grab it & lob it out the window until my girlfriend at the time informed me they can carry rabies. I used a broom instead.

Edited by Bisque

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The daily mail forwards the vision, not the party. As long as the tories are setting Britain in the path that computes with the daily mails worldview they will support them.

The difference between the daily mail and say Fox News, is Fox News supports the leader not the ideology. The daily mail don’t defend boris for everything he does. If Boris suddenly did a 180 on brexit they would slate him.

True our politics is not quite as binary as the US yet (rapidly trying to go that way) I think part of the problem is this dumbing down into binary options, for or against, yes or no. It leaves no room for critical thinking, no room for someone to say I support on this issue but on this issue they couldn't be further off the mark or I don't agree with everything the EU does and certainly lots of room for improvement but on balance better in than out. All black or white no room for the varying shades of grey that exist all the time particularly in politics. 

5 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

True our politics is not quite as binary as the US yet (rapidly trying to go that way) I think part of the problem is this dumbing down into binary options, for or against, yes or no. It leaves no room for critical thinking, no room for someone to say I support on this issue but on this issue they couldn't be further off the mark or I don't agree with everything the EU does and certainly lots of room for improvement but on balance better in than out. All black or white no room for the varying shades of grey that exist all the time particularly in politics. 

I have to say that I feel pretty ambivalent about Labour currently. Members remind me of the ‘People’s Front of Judea’ scene (ironically enough) from Life of Brian

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

I have to say that I feel pretty ambivalent about Labour currently. Members remind me of the ‘People’s Front of Judea’ scene (ironically enough) from Life of Brian

Yep me too. I suppose when it comes down to it though you have to think horrific or less horrific. For most of the Key first world countries I don't think there are many leaders that are in any way inspiring. It's why the brief bits in the news about Jacinda Ardern always seem like a breath of fresh air.